PDA

View Full Version : North to South

Krav
03-25-2012, 19:48
Looking to take the family for our first leg of the AT. The goal is to complete the trail over the next 9 or 10 years. The kids are still in school, so summers are our best option to hike, is it feasible for us to start in the North? The south would be too hot for mid July I am told.

This will be our first time backpacking for an extended time and those first 100 miles in Maine, look daunting. Any suggestions? Are there any hostels or drop box pick up from Mt. Katahdin to Monson?

Hate to put the family at risk - thanks in advance!

Krav

pyroman53
03-26-2012, 11:53
I haven't been there, but from what I hear, the miles in NH and ME are tough. Maybe harder on you and your kids than need be for starting out. Were it me, I would start near home and work North and South, depending on actual dates of hike. You can go North in summers; go south during spring break, Thanksgiving...even christmas vacations. Make sure you hit the Whites before you get too old to appreciate them. Starting closer to home means you have less invested in the event that one or more of you don't like hiking the AT. My hiking partner from PA has been doing this for more than 40 years and he still has NH and ME to finish. He's on the 60 year plan!! I just tag along once in a while.