PDA

View Full Version : tent sites near Roan High knob shelter?

neonshaw
03-25-2012, 22:39
Are there any tent sites near the shelter? I am doing a section hike and prefer to tent out if the weather is good. Its been a long time since I was there and it the area around the shelter didnt seem that open from what I remember

Slo-go'en
03-25-2012, 22:50
Yes, there are tents sites past the shelter and towards the actual summit rock.

bflorac
03-26-2012, 00:30
I believe you can camp at the site of the Cloudland Hotel. This 7 mi. south of shelter if you are following the trial but it one of the few places you you will be traveling compass south. If you want to be out in the open, it has a much better than anything near the shelter. And, if you are heading north, you will likely stop and take a break there anyway after the fun (steep, ruts, roots, grunt) climb up Roan. [although I think they were marking this to be relocated]

Tennessee Viking
03-26-2012, 08:21
Tenting on the Roan balds is nice. But I know camping is prohibited on Round Bald due to fragile soil and rare plants. The Grassy Ridge side trail and beyond the Peake Memorial has a nice site.

There is plenty of tenting room uphill from the Roan High Shelter. Ashe Gap has a huge camping area. You have some trailside sites on the ridgeline down to Yellow Mtn Gap and at the Barn.

turtle fast
03-26-2012, 15:23
Around the shelter are a ton of places to pitch a tent...mice like to have a fiesta in the shelter..we saw a couple get sick of being run over by them in there and tented too in the middle of the night. The water source was not too far away, but the trail to it was eroded through the trees. Up top is a neat rock feature away from the shelter where people eat lunch (I think to the west of the shelter).