PDA

View Full Version : questions for section hike HF apr. 1

thebruiser
03-30-2005, 19:08
hey i started hiking in GA last year march 12, this year i think i will start around apr. 1 in WV. GA was pretty cold last year when i started will it be even colder this year started in WV on apr. 1st? is a tarp okay for this weather? i figure though since i'm starting from WV if the weather is bad there will surely be a shelter space free. i have a 20 degree sleeping bag which as far as i can remember worked fine last year in conjunction with long johns, pants, fleece, hat and gloves (although the gloves didn't really do anything, someone suggsted mittens). so basically i'm just wondering if i need to make any special preperations for this hike because i'm not sure how cold it will be.

oh and also transportation just go to washington dc. and then train to harpers ferry, yeah? and are there easy spots to get off the trail and back home in MA 2, 3, 4, 5 weeks up the trail from there? thanks much

danny
[email protected]

thebruiser
03-30-2005, 21:09
oh yeah i just realized the date is march 30th now thought it was earlier. this is gonna be like apr. 5 or whenever

Brushy Sage
03-30-2005, 23:09
You can still get snow and cold weather. In western Maryland, for example, the "safe date" for planting, to avoid frost, is May 15.

thebruiser
03-31-2005, 00:39
some snow is okay but if it's goign to snow a full foot or whatever i am not prepared for that, although i guess it wouldn't be dangerous cause i could just listen to weather forecasts and got off trail?

Jack Tarlin
03-31-2005, 03:01
You'll be fine; it was something like 60 in Harpers Ferry today; scheduled to be in the high sixties, even 70 later in the week.

Early April in WV is a LOT nicer than in GA.

A twenty degree bag will be more than sufficient.

Five weeks up the Trail from Harpers should put you around the CT/Mass border. There's probably bus service from Great Barrington, MA; there is certainly service from Pittsfield, North Adams, or Williamstown. You haven't said where you need to get to....buses west go to Albany and points beyond; to the East, they go to Springfield, Worcester, and Boston. If you need to get back to NYC, Philly, or D.C., it can be done, but be prepared for a long trip. Amtrak also services western Mass; check their website for more details.

thebruiser
03-31-2005, 03:06
wow thanks i guess this time i really can hike home (boston ma)