PDA

View Full Version : Trail Runners vs Boots - need documentation

Chuch
03-26-2012, 11:27
Hey guys,
This isnt your typical Request for your opinion. I'm in trail runners and I am a believer. Last year when I did all my gear research I remember finding some great information on this topic, but I am strapped for time and cant quite seem to find the right documentation. Does anyone have any links to information that could help me educate a friend of mine? Thanks for the help! Threads, articles, websites....whatever!

C

JAK
03-26-2012, 12:15
Depends primarily on the total weight on your feet, relative to your stature and the size of your feet.
Most articles in favour one way or the other fail to mention that.

garlic08
03-26-2012, 16:32
I give up trying to find them, maybe you'll have better luck, but I remember two historic polls on this site that are interesting. One poll was 8 or 10 years old and showed more than half of responders used boots. The second poll was just a couple years old, with the identical question, and it showed more than half used trail runners.

ScottP
03-26-2012, 21:07
few things
weight on your feet makes you do the same work as if you carried 7 times that weight on your back.
a stiff sole saps the efficiency from your stride
they're less comfy
they're hotter-blisters are friction burns, so that's a big deal
waterproof doesn't work very well for 3+ season stuff. Only needed for true winter
ankle support isn't really needed for most people, and if it is you need a real medical solution. not boots

stranger
03-28-2012, 08:03
Andrew Skurka does through this topic quite well in his book, he lists like 5 or 7 arguments to boots over shoes, then goes through them and break it all down, essentially coming to the conclusion that in nearly every single scenario, shoes are superior, with a few exceptions like extreme cold and skiing, etc...

stranger
03-28-2012, 08:18
"talk through"

Tipi Walter
03-28-2012, 09:04
After years of backpacking in the Southeast mountains of NC, TN and VA, I have noticed backpackers who wear trail shoes slide more on muddy trails than do backpackers wearing better tread and deeper lug boots. Ergo, perhaps trail shoes need deeper lug soles?? This is even more pronounced when humping 50 to 80 lb loads.

Another point---small stream crossings usually include getting into 3 to 6 inches of water while still rock hopping and here a ankle high leather boot (with goretex if desired) keeps the socks dry. Many mesh type lightweight hiking shoes leak like a sieve and you end up with wet socks.