PDA

View Full Version : ultra light or shock absorbent trekking poles?

danmia1
03-26-2012, 12:06
A friend and I are starting the trail in Georgia sometime next month for a section hike. We are on the market for poles, and were wondering what is better for the terrain, she thinks the light poles are better, and I am leaning towards the shock absorbent ones. We are looking at:

black diamond ultra distance trekking pole (which is ultra-light)

or

black diamond contour elliptic shock trekking pole

Thoughts/suggestions? Neither of us have used poles before, and I am tired of my hands swelling after long hikes. I've read that you all recommend them, so I shall heed your call.

Thank you!

JAK
03-26-2012, 12:20
I think it depends on how they are used and by whom. Death race runners with technical downhill sections might benefit from shock absorbing poles. I think walkers and hikers are better off with something lighter and simpler. Whether or not you need them depends on your weight. Shock absorption depends on what they are used for.

Ender
03-26-2012, 12:47
Frankly, I've used both types of poles, and the shock absorbing thingy isn't worth the weight or cost. Not that it doesn't do what it's designed to do, it's just that it's a really minor effect on your arms in terms of the absorption, and it comes with some downsides... mainly, extra cost, extra weight, and it makes the poles bouncier (which I found annoying and made the poles bounce of rocks and lose grip sometimes).

So, my vote, go for the light poles.

Passengr57
03-26-2012, 13:21
I agree with Ender (Wiggans?), I've used shock absorbing poles for years and honestly IMO they can break just that much faster. Now I use regular black diamond locking poles and love'em. Just make sure you get a comfortable grip that you're happy with.

leaftye
03-26-2012, 14:07
I have shock absorbing poles, but I don't notice the benefit over my ultralight non shock absorbing poles.

Perhaps you can split the difference and get Black Diamond's adjustable non shock absorbing carbon fiber poles. I would definitely go with adjustable poles if you're using your poles to support your shelter.

danmia1
03-26-2012, 14:26
You guys are awesome. I think I wanted the shock absorbent poles just because they sounded cooler/gaget-y. I the light ones are super light, and I saw that they had the backpacker award on them. I hear that the terrain in Georgia is mountain/hilly, lots up ups and downs - but sounds like the lightweight ones from your responses are the way to go.

Thank you so much!

swjohnsey
03-26-2012, 19:35
The light poles ain't designed for a thru hike. I would go with plain vanilla aluminum poles like the BD Trail.

jeffmeh
03-26-2012, 19:42
I do know of a couple of incidents where the Black Diamond Distance FL Z-poles failed with very little use. I haven't seen many reports of this on the web, so perhaps these were isolated instances. BD is replacing the pole in my case, and I have had great experiences with their heavier poles. That said, it would make me reconsider taking the light ones on a thru hike. Having a pole fail when you need it is no fun.

ScottP
03-26-2012, 21:03
poles are good if your knees are bothering you

otherwise they're not needed

DaFireMedic
03-26-2012, 21:54
I hiked for 30+ years without poles. Now I won't hike without them. I go faster and farther with them and more comfortably (especially downhill). They saved my knees, prevented bruises and sore spots on the bottoms of my feet, provided stability during stream crossings, and prevented falls on areas of slippery footing. I also use them as my tarp tent supports now that I am using a tarp shelter.

I am in the non-shock absorbing camp. I've used both and I don't notice a big difference in overall comfort although some people do. As has been mentioned, pole failure may be a concern. I've never had a fixed length pole fail on me, but I have had adjustable length poles fail. I always carry a few feet of 1" wide gorilla duct tape for temporary gear repairs, such as failure of the locking mechanism on the poles. A couple wraps of the gorilla tape just below the failed lock will usually hold long enough to get to a place where you can get the pole repaired or replaced. I also carry an alcohol prep pad or two in my first aid kit and use it to clean the surface where the duct tape will go, it really helps the tape to hold. I had to repair my son's pole the other night like this and it worked to get us the 5 miles or so back to the car and would certainly have held a lot longer if necessary.

BrianLe
03-26-2012, 22:48
I'm with DaFireMedic on non-shock absorbing; I prefer the simplicity and lighter weight and typically lower expense of a pole without this feature. I do think it's great to have a pretty light weight pole. Just think twice about carbon fiber poles, which tend to be the lightest ones. They can last a long long time, but just one slip and you can snap the pole too easily. Metal poles can be bent back into shape, and the manufacturer's guarantee is sometimes different depending on metal vs. carbon fiber.

tuswm
03-26-2012, 23:37
have broken several shocks. now I have non shock poles. no problems since. also non shocks are much quieter and more efficient up hills regardless of weight.

moytoy
03-27-2012, 05:13
I don't think there is a "right" answer when it comes to gear. I use these http://www.exped.com/exped/web/exped_homepage.nsf/0/7E08FE700EE10A70C125756E00268964?opendocument
because I carry my poles on my back almost as much as I have them in my hand I go for UL. My poles are for down hill, I never use them here in Fl. If not using your poles keep your hands at chest level to keep them from swelling. I have loops on my packs to hook my thumbs in when they start to swell.

jduncan7998
03-29-2012, 20:32
I have the LEKI trekking poles with the shock absorbtion system, i've had them for 10yrs and they are still working Great!!

cabbagehead
03-29-2012, 22:13
I have Leki poles because I had no options when I was buying them. From what I've seen, the Black Diamond ones look better. There is more plastic on their external levers, so it takes longer for the cams to wear.

I would use something simple and durable. If it's aluminum, make sure it's a heat treated alloy in the 7000 series. I don't understand how shock resistance would help. Perhaps someone could explain.

Tinker
03-29-2012, 23:45
Rigid poles give more feedback as to how solid your pole placement is.

Wise Old Owl
03-29-2012, 23:55
I second the Ender's message - shocks were useless.

Tinker
03-29-2012, 23:57
How ya doin' WOO? Feeling better?

Wise Old Owl
03-30-2012, 00:14
Yea unfortunately a strong antibiotic and a prednizone and HB - I am a little light headed so I took today off... Shouldn't drive with all the meds on top of two others....

hunter121
03-30-2012, 04:29
That is a great site! I saw the information is very usefule!
http://www.primeaffiliate.com/track/images/20.creation.jpg
http://www.canadablackberry.com/imgs/images/2.tod.gif

rstms
04-02-2012, 12:02
I use Gossamer Gear LT4's. I am careful with them but have gotten them stuck a few times and flexed pretty badly without breaking. And they are adjustable. Really light as well. Be sure to use the o-ring to keep rain out when using as tarp support. Water inside will gum up the adjustment mechanism. http://gossamergear.com/trekking/trekking/lt4-trekking-poles.html