PDA

View Full Version : Steripen at Costco

NorthCountryWoods
03-26-2012, 15:58
Not showing up online, but saw them in the Colchester warehouse for $29.99. Just an FYI.

Never used one, so I have no personal experience.

Bucho
03-26-2012, 16:04

I'd recommend that you keep it that way.

NorthCountryWoods
03-26-2012, 16:29
I take it they don't work?

blackbird04217
03-26-2012, 16:44
I don't have much to say about mine either good or bad. It worked when I felt the need to treat. It had advantages and disadvantages like anything else. I would recommend carrying a backup treatment plan like bleach or aqua mira, but I really took it for the comfort of those times getting water when I really had a bad feeling about it for whatever reason (just got walking down from a pasture of cows).

Good: Treat water in 90 seconds and drinkable there, fairly light weight treatment. (lighter with lithium batteries that last longer as well).
Bad: Electronic, takes batteries which can die or like most (new) technology work on its schedule.

Spokes
03-26-2012, 16:49

I call it the "heartache stick".

4eyedbuzzard
03-26-2012, 17:21
Had mine 2 years. no problems. really good for regular traveling in the carribean and mexico as wells

Mrs Baggins
03-27-2012, 06:47
Saw a guy at Hawk Mountain shelter, first night out, realize that the light bulb was already broken in his Steripen. I'll stick to my MSR Sweetwater pump/filter until I decide to buy a Gigarig.

rocketsocks
03-27-2012, 07:20
I call it the "heartache stick".Do they work on polyps.

Rain Man
03-27-2012, 09:05
I have the Steripen Classic (got it via scratch-and-dent at REI). Have had it for several years. I also have a Katadyn Hiker and tablets and have had the iodine crystal stuff. Even had a Platypus gravity feed system for an extremely short while.

The Steripen is easily my "go to" water treatment method for my hikes here in the Southeast.

Rain:sunMan

Shutterbug
03-27-2012, 10:36
Not showing up online, but saw them in the Colchester warehouse for $29.99. Just an FYI.

I have noticed that many people on WhiteBlaze are quick to express their negative opinions about products without ever having tried them. I have been using steripens since they first came out. When used according to instructions, they work great. They are much more convenient than a pump filter (yes, I have those too).

The models I have had have used special batteries. I would much prefer AA batteries, but I buy the special batteries online in bulk so they aren't expensive -- just a little inconvient to have to carry different kinds.

I have been using them for at least 5 years and have never had one break. The bulbs are tougher than they look.

And $29.99 is an excellent price. If I recall correctly, I spent $99 for the one I am using now. I bought mine at REI.

Spokes
03-27-2012, 10:55
I have noticed that many people on WhiteBlaze are quick to express their negative opinions about products without ever having tried them. I have been using steripens since they first came out....

Perhaps. I base my opinion on personal observation, data, and research. Yes, I own a SteriPen too.

In 2009, during my thru hike, I observed numerous thru hikers curse their SteriPens for red light errors. I heard their calls to Steripen customer service and the baloney they were told i.e., "you're using the wrong batteries", "it must be user error", "try spitting in the water or putting some Gatorade in it before you activate the probe". In the end SteriPen finally conceded the problem was their units. IMHO, no customer should have to go through that much hassle.

Bottom Line? I'd rather play roulette in Vegas than rely on a SteriPen in the field.

If you decide on carrying one please, please, make sure you have a back-up treatment method. Otherwise save your money.

tim.j.archambault
03-27-2012, 10:59
Enjoying all the great feedback here! Just want to make sure that all know that the SteriPENs available at Costco are $49.99, not $29.99. Not sure where that price came from.

Just a disclaimer that I am an employee of Hydro-Photon, the maker of SteriPEN.

Best,

Tim

tim.j.archambault
03-27-2012, 11:04
Also, anyone on this thread who's had difficulty with a SteriPEN, please contact me directly at [email protected]. SteriPEN products have improved in both manufacturing, usability & reliability over the past several years and I am happy to help you any way I can.

Spokes
03-27-2012, 11:11
Welcome to WhiteBlaze Tim.

NorthCountryWoods
03-27-2012, 14:29
Enjoying all the great feedback here! Just want to make sure that all know that the SteriPENs available at Costco are $49.99, not $29.99. Not sure where that price came from.

Got the price right off the sign.....so somebody screwed up. You sure there's not a coupon on it? They were running those this week.

TyTy
03-27-2012, 14:45
I think the reliability used to be worse. I have one, hasn't let me down yet. When I was researching most every story I heard of them not working was from several years ago, mostly the Steripen Classic version I think. I didn't really find many recent failure stories so I went ahead and got and have been pretty happy. For longer trips I would want a backup, for me Aquamira or if I was in a group and someone else had a filter or something I would consider that the backup (after checking with the friend of course).

Tim - since you are reading this...please please please make a AAA battery version! Most headlamps use AAA batteries so in a pinch people could swap the batteries in their headlamps. Also you can buy AAA anywhere vs CR123's. I have had a hard time finding CR123 locally and had to order them online. AA would be fine too, much more common but I think the headlamp/flashlight AAA comparability would be especially compelling for a lot of users.

ChinMusic
03-27-2012, 14:51
Had mine 2 years. no problems. really good for regular traveling in the carribean and mexico as wells

I have used one for at least 4 or 5 years. I started with the Classic and now use the Opti.

No problems whatsoever. I love the Steripen.

rocketsocks
03-27-2012, 15:02
Also, anyone on this thread who's had difficulty with a SteriPEN, please contact me directly at [email protected]. SteriPEN products have improved in both manufacturing, usability & reliability over the past several years and I am happy to help you any way I can.Hey Tim,could you please speak to the specifics of the circuit upgrade,and or how they actually work.I think If I felt your confidence in the product was ginuine,I'd buy one in a new york minute,Thanks and:welcome

Rain Man
03-27-2012, 15:29
Tim - since you are reading this...please please please make a AAA battery version! Most headlamps use AAA batteries so in a pinch people could swap the batteries in their headlamps. Also you can buy AAA anywhere vs CR123's. I have had a hard time finding CR123 locally and had to order them online. AA would be fine too, much more common but I think the headlamp/flashlight AAA comparability would be especially compelling for a lot of users.

ABSOLUTELY agree!!! Extra UNNECESSARY ounces are as awful a thing when backpacking as double-duty ounces are a GOOD thing. So many things have gone to AAA batteries, that anything that can be done to avoid other batteries in backpacking gear would be GREAT. Batteries required are an actual consideration when I look at gear to purchase.

Rain:sunMan

ChinMusic
03-27-2012, 15:53
I don't have an issue with the CR123 batteries. I usu carry an extra set without worries. I suspect the AAAs just don't have the juice needed for a reasonable number of uses.

Bucho
03-28-2012, 01:00

They're good unless you get a defective unit. Which since they're made in China happens a lot. My first one made it about 300 miles before the crappy seal on the bulb let enough water in to fubar it. Got the run around, then they finally replaced it with a unit that was defective right out of the box. So with the experiences I've had and having watched others go through similar ones, I wouldn't take one of those things into the woods even if it was free.