PDA

View Full Version : Shape and size of cooking pots from the last few years

Different Socks
03-26-2012, 18:49
What's up with that?

Okay, this what I mean: Why do some equip manufacturers create cooking pots that are tall and narrow? Just looking at them makes me think that they would be difficult to eat out of, even with a long utensil(spork) and they would be even more difficult to clean. But what really bothers me is that with a smaller base, unless the hiker is boiling only water, how well would the stove cook the food when the bottom of the pan is smaller?

Myself? I'd prefer a wider bottom'd pot that is also shorter. Short and wide just seems smarter than taller and narrow.

What do you think and what do you use?

Wise Old Owl
03-26-2012, 18:58
Most are just boiling water... but you are right its all about heat transfer hence Jetboil adds metal.

JAK
03-26-2012, 19:24
Some like a smaller diameter to make it easier to pack, as it is easier to nest with a bottle into a bottle holder, for instance. Like you I prefer something wider. I really like ambiguous shapes and sizes, as in, it is a cup, a bowl, a mug, or a pot ???

Different Socks
03-26-2012, 19:45
Most are just boiling water... but you are right its all about heat transfer hence Jetboil adds metal.

What do you mean "adds metal"?

Theosus
03-26-2012, 20:38
Some like a smaller diameter to make it easier to pack, as it is easier to nest with a bottle into a bottle holder, for instance. Like you I prefer something wider. I really like ambiguous shapes and sizes, as in, it is a cup, a bowl, a mug, or a pot ???
Agreed. My snow peak 700 is a really big mug, or a really small pot. But the 110g fuel thing fits inside. The cup fits in a shallow but wider Coleman pot, which fits just inside the snow peak giga power wind screen. So everything nests together in a space no wider than a 220g canister, and slightly taller than the .7 liter mug/pot. Then that damn spork screws it all up. Too tall to go in the mug, too wide sideways to lay under or over the kit. I think I'm going to hang it off the pack by some paracord.

rocketsocks
03-26-2012, 20:59
Guess It depends on my menu or mood,the old snow peak is wider a easier to clean with hand,the soloist is a nice size for nesting tank and bowl,and my oil can(foster)is light and pretty much for water only.

Lone Wolf
03-26-2012, 21:51
i use the same pots i bought 26 years ago

Bati
03-26-2012, 21:55
As noted, tall and narrow packs much better, thus I use a tall and narrow pot when I don't plan on cooking much. Bicycle touring is one such place, as you can often grab a mostly cooked meal from a grocery store each day, not to mention eat out much more frequently. Winter day hikes, when you need the security of being able to boil water for a hot drink are another place where this is perfect. And for a overnight trip if you want to keep the luggage light, it works well.

However, if I'm out backpacking for a week or more, I prefer to use a shorter, wider pot that much easier to clean. They're also much easier to eat from when you're sharing with a partner. I have taken tall and narrow on longer trips though, especially in the warmer weather if I don't plan on eating as many hot meals.

leaftye
03-27-2012, 00:14
I'd guess that it's due to the popularity of the Jetboil.

Razor
03-27-2012, 18:24
The taller pot is perfect for just boiling water--That is all a majority of hikers do now!