PDA

View Full Version : Who is the dominent cell service provider on the AT trail?

ncmtns
03-27-2012, 11:57
I know you cant get service most the time on the trail, but which one do you think is best, Verizon? Some other? thanx!

Energizer Bunny
03-27-2012, 12:00
I have Verizon and had had pretty good reception in GA with few exceptions.

Astro
03-27-2012, 12:08
Verizon is great in GA and NC. Nothing hardly works in GSMNP. The reason Verizon is so good is because they bought Alltel, whose niche market was rural communities. Therefor if there are rural communities nearby you will probably have Verizon, since Alltel put towers up in the mountains to support them.

Spokes
03-27-2012, 12:18
Yep....... Verizon.

SCRUB HIKER
03-27-2012, 18:13
Ditto. Verizon. North of Harpers Ferry, I think pretty much every provider was the same, and coverage was really widespread. In the South, Verizon had a big advantage over AT&T and Sprint. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think AT&T had any service whatsoever in Damascus as of last spring. I know at least one of the big carriers didn't--someone I knew spent a week there injured with no cell phone service, and it wasn't Verizon (what I have).

SCRUB HIKER
03-27-2012, 18:14
I should add, widespread coverage north of Harpers Ferry except for some parts of Vermont and a lot of NH and Maine.

Sandy of PA
03-27-2012, 21:42
Harpers Ferry to NJ, I had great coverage with a cheap little Tracphone!

Wise Old Owl
03-27-2012, 21:46
Verizon until somewhere around PA and then back nothing in Maine.

Suggest Spot

shelb
03-27-2012, 21:47
Last summer in SNP, my Verizon didn't have good coverage while my friend's AT&T had great coverage.

rainmaker
03-27-2012, 21:56
I used a Verizon last year through Vermont, NH, and Maine. Voice transmission was sketchy in many places, particularly NH. Higher elevations in Maine were 2 to 3 bars. Most of the time I relied on texting to check in with Madame and to also get her daily weather forecasts. Most of the hikers who had other carriers referred to their devices as paperweights.