PDA

View Full Version : Canister Refiller -- WARNING

hikin_jim
03-27-2012, 16:34
Hey, gas canisters are expensive. Why NOT just refill them with cheap gas from a bulk propane tank?

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-g8YfbiowrrU/T3IIV38jmlI/AAAAAAAAFLM/6mFLcpVjehA/s400/PropaneTank.jpg
A "bulk" propane tank

Yeah, and on eBay you can get a cheap canister refiller that will do just that.
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-HwsnFMywzOQ/T3IE_Kh3kaI/AAAAAAAAFJ8/TM4UGsPJ7sA/s640/Propane_Refiller_1.jpg
A very dangerous canister refill adapter

But refilling backpacking canisters with this particular canister refiller is inherently dangerous. Find out the whys and wherefores in my latest post:
Canister Refiller -- WARNING (http://adventuresinstoving.blogspot.com/2012/03/canister-refiller-warning.html)

HJ

Derek81pci
03-27-2012, 16:42
Most canister stoves I have experience with are Iso-propane blends, not straight propane.

hikin_jim
03-27-2012, 17:52
Most canister stoves I have experience with are Iso-propane blends, not straight propane.Yep. They blend isobutane and propane to give a resultant mixture that the canister can handle. You won't see any backpacking canisters with 100% propane. It'd be great for winter use, but they'd have to be out of heavy steel like the Coleman propane canisters meant for car camping type stoves.

HJ

rocketsocks
03-27-2012, 18:08
Yes,that hose does not look like it's rated for presure,and no clamp on the barb fitting.Jim,Aycetylene when discharged at higher presures (about 30 psi)can spontainably combust ,does propane do the same,cause I don't see a regulator on that rig.

Tuckahoe
03-27-2012, 18:21
This thread started off with the statement, "Hey, gas canisters are expensive." To which I say BS. I for one believe that isobutane and propane are quite reasonably priced.

hikin_jim
03-27-2012, 18:36
This thread started off with the statement, "Hey, gas canisters are expensive." To which I say BS. I for one believe that isobutane and propane are quite reasonably priced.Define "reasonable." :)

Whether it's reasonable or not, I can't say, but I do know there are a lot of people who refill canisters. I just don't think this is the way to do it.

HJ

dla
03-27-2012, 18:40
Wow! That thing has "DANGER DANGER Will Robinson" written all over it. Not only that, but I'm pretty sure it is blatantly illegal as well. Maybe you should contact FleaBay about that - you can't sell meth or other illegal stuff on their site.

hikin_jim
03-27-2012, 18:42
Yes,that hose does not look like it's rated for presure,and no clamp on the barb fitting. Jim,Aycetylene when discharged at higher presures (about 30 psi)can spontainably combust ,does propane do the same,cause I don't see a regulator on that rig. I have not heard of the happening with propane, but I don't know that my not having heard of it rules it out.

My post was mainly why refilling with 100% propane with that adapter is a really bad idea, but the whole rig is suspect in my opinion.

HJ

hikin_jim
03-27-2012, 18:42
Wow! That thing has "DANGER DANGER Will Robinson" written all over it. Not only that, but I'm pretty sure it is blatantly illegal as well. Maybe you should contact FleaBay about that - you can't sell meth or other illegal stuff on their site.I have written the seller, and I have contacted eBay.

HJ

Spokes
03-27-2012, 19:20
... Some people make their own fireworks and say "Watch this!".

Not good.

hikin_jim
03-27-2012, 19:27
... Some people make their own fireworks and say "Watch this!".

Not good.Especially a in a remote corner of the woods with nobody around.

On a hot day, a 100% propane canister could really burst just sitting in your pack. Worse would be at meal time. You're heating up a meal, a little heat radiates down to the canister and ...

Well, it wouldn't be pretty.

HJ

zelph
03-27-2012, 21:38
Jim, did you notify ebay of the potential safety hazard and ask that the listing be removed?

Disregard!!!!! I see now that you have done that. Good deal!!!

hikin_jim
03-27-2012, 21:58
Yeah, I "dropped the dime" on him. He may not realize what he's doing, but I don't want somebody who doesn't know better following his instructions and having a really bad problem.

I know a couple of other people have reported him on eBay as well.

HJ

hikin_jim
03-28-2012, 09:53
Well, it's been a day, and the eBay seller hasn't responded. I notice that the item is still on eBay and that someone has now bid on it.

HJ

rocketsocks
03-28-2012, 16:59
Well, it's been a day, and the eBay seller hasn't responded. I notice that the item is still on eBay and that someone has now bid on it.

HJYep,that's me,just figured if there not going to be making them anymore......it might be worth some money to a collector someday....just kidding!

Don H
03-29-2012, 07:37
I think if you read the wording in the add you can see that it is not written by someone from the US.

hikin_jim
03-29-2012, 21:25
I think if you read the wording in the add you can see that it is not written by someone from the US.Yes, the seller appears to be in China.

The item has been withdrawn. I'm not sure if the seller with drew the item because I asked him to or if eBay forced him to, but it (thank God) is no longer for sale.

HJ

hikin_jim
03-29-2012, 21:26
P.S. That "who cares, as long as there's free ice cream..." is an excellent saying. :)

HJ

rocketsocks
03-29-2012, 22:43
Good catch,good call,great job Jim.

rocketsocks
03-29-2012, 22:48
Good catch,good call,great job Jim.P.S.It would not be fair,If I didn't say to the seller,thanks for the retraction,the rig justs needs to be reworked.Thanks