PDA

View Full Version : Nano Puff Jacket Now Or Not?

Ladyofthewoods
03-28-2012, 07:47
I am heading back to the AT at Winding Stair Gap headed North again. The weather has been so warm, I haven't used my Nano Puff at all. I'd like to leave it at home. Researching the weather possibilities, I feel 'pretty safe', but still question the decision. Anyone want to give advice on it? Thank you in advance.
(Loving the trail!)

The Cleaner
03-28-2012, 09:22
36 degrees @ Overmountian shelter on 5-8-10.....I'd keep it till Damascus....

RWheeler
03-28-2012, 09:44
It's not like a nano puff takes up a lot of space or is heavy... it only keeps you warm if you wear it. Or, you know, you convert it to fuel by burning it or eating it.

bigcranky
03-28-2012, 13:05
Heck it was 36 degrees here in Winston-Salem the other night. We had frost at Springer in early June a few years ago. This is why I take a warm layer at least through the end of May, and a Nanopuff doesn't take up much room.

That said, if you can handle just getting out of your bag on a cold morning and starting to hike, then you might be fine.

Ktaadn
03-28-2012, 13:16
What other warm layers do you have? If you have a reasonably warm long sleeve shirt, then you could probably get rid of the Nano. If not, you probably want to keep it a little longer.

Ladyofthewoods
03-28-2012, 16:28
Thanks everyone. I do have a longsleeve shirt, a rain jacket, Marmot rain pants for warmth if I need it, head gear, etc. I get pretty warm usually. Still deciding... but running out of time.

Dodds1990
03-28-2012, 16:52
Thanks everyone. I do have a longsleeve shirt, a rain jacket, Marmot rain pants for warmth if I need it, head gear, etc. I get pretty warm usually. Still deciding... but running out of time.
Bring it, worst case scenario you can send it home. Better to be safe than sorry you know?

Rain Man
03-28-2012, 20:37
If you take the Nano Puff, will that allow you to take a lighter-weight sleeping bag perhaps? Personally, I'd take the Nano Puff. If nothing else besides cool evenings and mornings and midnight runs to the bushes, you can use it as a nice pillow.

Rain:sunMan

leaftye
03-28-2012, 21:49
Last year on the PCT I heard about a group of hikers that were so cold that they got up in the middle of the night and started walking back towards the last town. They had only experienced very warm weather on the trail so far, so they wrongly assumed that they could bounce their sleeping gear up the trail.

The point of the story is that you shouldn't make assumptions based on recent weather.

If you could, we'd assume that because the PCT hadn't received much snow this winter, and it had been warm, that there wasn't going to be much snow on the trail. That changed a few weeks ago when 5 storms brought snow to southern California mountains.

MuddyWaters
04-14-2012, 18:50
My rough rule of thumb is if temps in 40s at night , dont need puffy insulation or long underwear, just a fleece hoody and SS shirt.

If temps drop into 30s, I bring puffy insul and long underwear bottoms, and wear LS merino shirt. I will want them in the morning until it warms up a bit, and its likely cool enough most of the day for the LS instead of SS.