PDA

View Full Version : Big Agnes Copper Spur UL 2 or MSR Hubba Hubba

redseal
03-28-2012, 08:25
Can any of you Big Agnes Copper Spur UL 2 users provide some feedback on the tent?

I have a Hubba Hubba which I am fine with, but the Copper Spur will save another 1 lb. 1 oz. I set one up the other day at a local store and noticed the floor material is much thinner than that of the Hubba Hubba. My main concern is that the floor material is less durable and will rip easier and potentially allow moisture in quicker. Have you had any issues? I would not use the footprint as that adds another 6.5 oz. so the minimal savings is not worth the extra cost of the tent + footprint in my opinion.

Also, not looking at any other tents. I have tried plenty so please stick to the Copper Spur for discussion.

nehiker
03-28-2012, 08:41
Can any of you Big Agnes Copper Spur UL 2 users provide some feedback on the tent?

I have a Hubba Hubba which I am fine with, but the Copper Spur will save another 1 lb. 1 oz. I set one up the other day at a local store and noticed the floor material is much thinner than that of the Hubba Hubba. My main concern is that the floor material is less durable and will rip easier and potentially allow moisture in quicker. Have you had any issues? I would not use the footprint as that adds another 6.5 oz. so the minimal savings is not worth the extra cost of the tent + footprint in my opinion.

Also, not looking at any other tents. I have tried plenty so please stick to the Copper Spur for discussion.

I cannot help you with your question, but I hope you can help me with mine, since you have already analyzed other possible options.

What makes Copper Spur UL better than Nemo Obi Elite or Terra Nova Solar Photon? They are somewhat lighter (as the trail weight goes), look like they might be slightly easier to set up, and cost about the same (from US retailers; Terra Nova itself charges about as many BPs for the Photon as US retailers charge dollars). The fabric on the Nemo does seem very thin though. Many thanks.

redseal
03-28-2012, 16:50
Well, honestly I am sure there are better better tents out there than the Copper Spur. My choice is due to availability. I would rather buy my gear from a local place that I can return used gear with no questions asked. They cannot get every tent out there so I am somewhat limited. But at least I can try it out and return it without shipping hassles, etc. if I am not satisfied.

dillard
03-28-2012, 17:04
I traveled with someone last year who used the Fly Creek UL1 which uses the same floor material and she never had any issues with leakage or durability. We pitched on some fairly rocky surfaces and areas with lots of small sticks and none ever made a hole or even really abraded the tent floor so I wouldn't be too worried about using it without the footprint.

redseal
03-28-2012, 19:38
I traveled with someone last year who used the Fly Creek UL1 which uses the same floor material and she never had any issues with leakage or durability. We pitched on some fairly rocky surfaces and areas with lots of small sticks and none ever made a hole or even really abraded the tent floor so I wouldn't be too worried about using it without the footprint.

Good info. Thanks.

ekeverette
03-28-2012, 21:08
i've got a copper srur 1, and it's great...... plenty of rm, and noooo leaks, puts up fast.

redseal
03-29-2012, 17:21
i've got a copper srur 1, and it's great...... plenty of rm, and noooo leaks, puts up fast.

Good info. Guess I will buy one and give it a try on the next rainy night.

Whack-a-mole
03-29-2012, 23:31
I bought a CS2 for my last section hike and I really like it a lot. I'm a big guy, 6-3, 260# so I need a good size tent. The CS2 did a great job for me. I had plenty of room, and the whole tent only weighed 3.5lbs. A convenient feature is double doors, one on each side. And each side also has it's own generous sized vestibule. The floor material is thin, but it seemed very strong. It is very easy to set up, and easy to set up in a hurry in the rain. I was on a 6 day trip, and I only used it for 3 nights. Stayed in shelters the other nights. Spent one night in it with a solid, hard rain for several hours, and it was very dry. There is a lot of mesh, so the condensation was low, but you have to pull the fly tight, and the top vent has a little "kick stand" to hold it open, which I thought was a cool feature. The most important part for me, is that I can sit up in it and get dressed. I have smaller tents, and you can't even hardly get dressed in them, and I have to crawl out of them on my hands and knees, and finish getting dressed out side. That stinks in the rain, I can't even begin to tell you how bad it stinks. This tent has lots of head room. It is not an inexpensive tent, but I'm glad that I dropped the money on it. I am very pleased that I bought it, and I'm sure I'll be getting my moneys worth out of it in the future.