PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts before upcoming thru-hike

underscored
03-28-2012, 11:29
Ok, this is just a meandering type post. I've gotten a ton of advice in the other two threads (big bad scary bears and ripping my gear down).

Just curious - is it ingrained in the thru-hike (culture? past experiences? not sure what to call it) - that towns and motels and hostels and shuttles are part of it? I planned this entire trip (before coming online and drilling down details) with the (wrong?) assumption that it's me - the trail - those I come across - and the occasional long haul into a town to refill food and then back on the trail out as quickly as possible.

I've yet to read about someone seriously forgoing all of the finer things and planning on being solely on trail (again - with the exception of food resupplies). Am I completely wrong in having this mindset going forward?

I know how to repair gear and rig fixes.
I know how to make due with what I have.
I don't mind going hungry if it's for the bigger goal and I know I'll get food in me at point x in time.

Unless it's going to be something that kills me instantly (lightning, tornado, tsunami) - weather isn't going to get me off the trail.

Thoughts? Tell me I'm an idiot - OR - tell me that it's just a difference on how things get done out there? I def. understand (and love) the HYOH idea, but I figured there'd be a camp of people out there with similar mindsets as mine. Maybe they just don't online and ramble as much.

DavidNH
03-28-2012, 11:44
No matter what you may think now, no matter what anyone may have told you, you WILL visit towns and You WILL stay at hostels and/or motels. Everyone needs the rest (a zero day here and there) so you can do laundry, get mail, shop for food, eat real food. But especially simply rest from hiking ever day. Some take lots of off trail days some take less, but All will take some.

I am glad you don't mind going hungry. because no matter how much you eat, no matter how many restaurants you plunder you are going to be starved. 1000+ miles in Food becomes an obsession. For many, just a few miles in it's an obsession.

Don't worry about losing weight before hand. You will lose plenty on the trail. Even if you aren't in optimal shape the trail will take care of that.

True weather probably won't kill ya, and how easy it is to say now what's a little rain in one's life. But spend 8 + hours hiking in an all day rain and waking up the next day and it is still raining and your feet are soaked and much of your gear may be wet.. well than can change one's attitude rather quickly. Those hikers who can get past miserable weather conditions, and sore feet, and wet gear are generally the ones who make it. Those who can't deal with that tend to go home early.

personally, I would suggest not trying to avoid the finer things in life as you put it. If there is a big barbeque bonanza that some hikers put on as trail magic, by all means stop and enjoy. If the trail goes near some restaurant with an AYCE buffet or great pizza etc then by all means stop and enjoy. The AT thru hike is an adventure, one most of us only get to do once. You want to be able to look back on it as a fun and exciting experience rather than a time where you feel like you were constantly roughing it and over coming challenges.

Everyone stops in town to enjoy restaurants, rest, hostels etc. In fact.. I'll offer up a challenge to whiteblaze folks. See if you can find ANYONE who has thru hiked the AT in the last 10 years (or even section hiked for a month or two) who never left trail other than to pick up a food drop or shop at a grocery store... some one who never once stayed at a lodging establishment or ate at a restaurant. I bet no one has.

DavidNH

RWheeler
03-28-2012, 11:45
As I sit in my bedroom, trying to keep my mind from destroying itself with anticipation of me leaving for my thru, I'm thinking of spending limited time in towns/hostels. I'm considering staying at a few hostels of note, and only really went through to give them a serious consideration when trying to organize some information for people that would want to send me letters/care packages.

Although, I can definitely see this changing drastically once I get on the trail.

It's definitely HYOH, so definitely don't feel wrong for feeling the way you feel. But at the same time, you aren't hiking yet. So who's to say that you won't change that mentality once you're immersed in the culture?

turtle fast
03-28-2012, 11:50
The Appalachian Trail is a social trail...by that I mean you get to know people as you run into them at shelters, towns, hostels, etc and you build up natural friendships. You will find that you have a "bubble" of people you constantly meet who have roughly the same schedule and speed as you. Town stops become points to socialize, resupply, and get information on the trail. Its a normal thing to develop these friendships on the AT. Its not a prerequisite to stay in towns and such but the beauty of it is is that you can make it what you want it. Social trail, endurance challenge, solo reflective hike on your direction in life...the trail has it all.

VTATHiker
03-28-2012, 11:54
I'm planning on it being me, the trail and the occasional stop in town... and that's after I've been perusing this site for the past 6 years and planning my thru this past one. I'm guessing it's a personality type (extremely introverted) that lends itself to that kind of thru experience. In which case it might make sense that that group would be less vocal in the online community. I think it’s unusual for someone with that mindset to question it – after all, someone with an HYOH mentality shouldn’t care what everyone else is doing.

So my vote is: “...it's just a difference on how things get done out there”. Cheers!

underscored
03-28-2012, 11:57
No matter what you may think now, no matter what anyone may have told you, you WILL visit towns and You WILL stay at hostels and/or motels. Everyone needs the rest (a zero day here and there) so you can do laundry, get mail, shop for food, eat real food. But especially simply rest from hiking ever day. Some take lots of off trail days some take less, but All will take some.

The last thing I'm going to do is be argumentative on a board I just joined (and gotten great advice from) - so please don't think that's what I'm doing. But I completely disagree with the /mindset/ that those are mandatory things that WILL happen.

Nobody informed me of those things - it's just what I've been reading. I went into this with the idea that things like "hostels/motels/shuttles into town - hell laundry even" weren't even OPTIONS. (...and /I think/ have planned accordingly). Those were before the days of getting online and drilling down details and seeing how drastically different people plan.

Down days are going to happen, that's inevitable. But my down days are going to be spent sleeping (love naps, who doesn't) - exploring the immediate area around my campsite (planning on poaching some awesome views for those days) - doing some photography. All of that will happen in my tent. Why go to a motel for a down day?

Restaurants and the "finer" are great - and I'll know I'll gorge myself on a burger or pizza occasionally - but it's that - pick up any food/mail - and then straight back out.

If those bonanza's are happening on the trail or within walking distance - of course I'm going to take advantage! I don't hate people after all.

Who knows - maybe I'm dreamy, and wrong - but at the end of the summer - I've certainly planned on being someone who only went into town for food and mail drops. I doubt I'm the first - but if it's true - maybe I will be.

underscored
03-28-2012, 12:02
It's definitely HYOH, so definitely don't feel wrong for feeling the way you feel. But at the same time, you aren't hiking yet. So who's to say that you won't change that mentality once you're immersed in the culture?

Glad I'm not the only one going crazy with anticipation.

And I don't feel wrong per se' - just wanted to directly ask if I'm just completely bonkers, of if there are those out there who do it, but maybe just aren't vocal online about their plans? I know things can (and probably will) change drastically (both mentally and with prep - and I'm ok with that). - but I know what I've been through/endured before - and besides the sheer distance/toll on my body - I feel beyond well prepared to pull this off.

underscored
03-28-2012, 12:04
...but the beauty of it is is that you can make it what you want it. Social trail, endurance challenge, solo reflective hike on your direction in life...the trail has it all.

I think that is a perfect sum of how I feel about my trip, I just don't see a whole lot of people "going the same... direction?" with prep/plans as I have - and I was curious as why. I certainly don't want to come across as hating people. I love meeting people and stories (and I love beer) - but plan on keeping all of that on the trail is all.

underscored
03-28-2012, 12:06
I'm planning on it being me, the trail and the occasional stop in town... and that's after I've been perusing this site for the past 6 years and planning my thru this past one. I'm guessing it's a personality type (extremely introverted) that lends itself to that kind of thru experience. In which case it might make sense that that group would be less vocal in the online community. I think it’s unusual for someone with that mindset to question it – after all, someone with an HYOH mentality shouldn’t care what everyone else is doing.

So my vote is: “...it's just a difference on how things get done out there”. Cheers!

I think it's turning out to be I'm only an extrovert online. As much as I love people and all... Thanks for the words. Good luck on your hike!

garlic08
03-28-2012, 12:13
Part of the allure of the long trails for me was to visit towns and see the local culture, whether "Logger Days" in Darby, Montana, a music festival in a small town, just hanging out in a New York deli, a play at the famous Shakespeare festival in Ashland, OR, etc. It's definitely tourism and I saw nothing wrong with that. (I skipped Gatlinburg though--I'd been there before.) One of my hiking friends did not respect that, and asked me if I were out there to see towns or to see the wilderness. I realized for me the answer was, "Both." So what? Isn't it a shame when we get upset over how someone else travels?

On the AT there are so many towns with such frequency, I don't think I missed too much when I skipped a few that required a hitch or more than a two-mile walk. And if you really don't like towns, it's easy enough to do your business quickly and leave.

Spokes
03-28-2012, 12:38
I approached my thru hike the same way as any ultra run I've ever done and live by the motto that Doug "Boogieman" Dawkins of the Mangum Track Club says:

"Come with no expectations and you will not be disappointed."

Slo-go'en
03-28-2012, 14:23
It would be interesting if those who say they plan on not staying in town or hostels (much or at all) come back and report how well that worked out in the end. We see that plan talked about enough times here, there should be some feedback.

You definately don't have to go to every town or stay at every hostel. If you lug enough food and do big enough miles, you can skip a lot of them. But I suspect most end up staying over night in more towns and hostels along the way then they thought they would when they started. A good dinner, a warm and dry bed and then a good breakfist in the morning can do wonders to your outlook.

RWheeler
03-28-2012, 14:45
It would be interesting if those who say they plan on not staying in town or hostels (much or at all) come back and report how well that worked out in the end. We see that plan talked about enough times here, there should be some feedback.

You definately don't have to go to every town or stay at every hostel. If you lug enough food and do big enough miles, you can skip a lot of them. But I suspect most end up staying over night in more towns and hostels along the way then they thought they would when they started. A good dinner, a warm and dry bed and then a good breakfist in the morning can do wonders to your outlook.

I'll be sure to share my findings. I'm looking at staying at somewhere around a half dozen hostels/towns at this point.

underscored
03-28-2012, 14:48
I guess I'm approaching it (for whatever crazy reason) as they would've way "back in the day" (whatever that means). I know the trail has improved, there are more people, more civilized luxuries, more towns along the way - but I'm at a time where I don't want "stuff" and "luxuries". I've literally packed the last 10 years of my life away into a 5X5X7 - parked my car behind an Aunt's house - and have never felt so unburdened and zen like in my entire life. Yes - a day full of driving rain is going to kick my ass, but if I trudge through, still end up headed north, and collapse in my little tent at the end of THAT day - I can't imagine anything more peaceful (especially when the sun and weather comes around totally rejuvenating me for the next hard day/climb/whatever).

I hesitant to expect anything other than some amazing views and excellent quiet time. Nature (and the trail) aren't there to provide anything for me - they're "just there". Who knows what I'll find, not find. That's all up in the air. But on the back-end - I know I want something different/quiet/more peaceful for me - and that includes for the duration of the trip. :)

Thanks for the conversation dudes and ladydudes. See some of you out there in... 15 days or so.

underscored
03-28-2012, 14:50
..and once again not rechecking my typing skills means grammar errors abound in the above post. One day I'll have money again and can donate for the edit feature!

The Old Boot
03-28-2012, 15:41
If there's just one thing I've learned from WB it's that the concept of HYOH is not honoured often enough. I'm one who holds the concept in highest regards.

I know that come the day I get to hike the AT, I'm stubborn enough to make sure that I do it MY way and no one elses'.

I read here that towns, hostels, shelters, taverns, AYCE buffets and pizza joints described as the 'finer things in life'. Ummm, MY definition of the finer things is polar opposite from that definition. A wonderful sunrise, a spectacular sunset, rainbows, mountain vistas and wildlife sightings are on the top of my list of 'the finer things'.

Yes, I'll need to go to town for laundry but given my dietary restrictions, I WILL be supplying most of my own food, not shopping along the way at the convenience stores. I don't drink beer, eat pizza and know better than to fill my face at an AYCE (it's guaranteed I'll be sick for at least a day). Will that keep me from having fun on my hike...not a chance, I don't consider any of them crucial to MY concept of fun!!

Heck there's hardly anything I would or could eat from them now, why would I start just when nutrition is even more critical.

I won't sleep in hotel/motel beds when I travel now, why would I change that on a hike. There's a reason I'm intent on buying a better sleep system for hiking. And yes, when I absolutely had to motel it for business trips with a couple of other staff members, I gladly let them have the beds while I carried my BYOB.

Guess since I have no desire to keep others up all night with my snoring, I won't get to 'enjoy' that part of the trail experience either.

Do what's comfortable and convenient for you. Don't let either those on WB or the new friends you meet on the trail tell you how to HYOH. Oh and don't tell them how to hike theirs' either!!

Enjoy all those amazing vistas, save the energy for taking as many blue blazes as you want and make sure that you stick to your own hike.

Oh, and if it took a 5x5x7 to store 'all your stuff', you still have way too much stuff...rofl!!

Have fun, make this hike what you want it to be!

rocketsocks
03-28-2012, 15:43
Did you get all your shots for the trip?

underscored
03-28-2012, 16:16
If there's just one thing I've learned from WB it's that the concept of HYOH is not honoured often enough. I'm one who holds the concept in highest regards.

I know that come the day I get to hike the AT, I'm stubborn enough to make sure that I do it MY way and no one elses'.

I read here that towns, hostels, shelters, taverns, AYCE buffets and pizza joints described as the 'finer things in life'. Ummm, MY definition of the finer things is polar opposite from that definition. A wonderful sunrise, a spectacular sunset, rainbows, mountain vistas and wildlife sightings are on the top of my list of 'the finer things'.

Yes, I'll need to go to town for laundry but given my dietary restrictions, I WILL be supplying most of my own food, not shopping along the way at the convenience stores. I don't drink beer, eat pizza and know better than to fill my face at an AYCE (it's guaranteed I'll be sick for at least a day). Will that keep me from having fun on my hike...not a chance, I don't consider any of them crucial to MY concept of fun!!

Heck there's hardly anything I would or could eat from them now, why would I start just when nutrition is even more critical.

I won't sleep in hotel/motel beds when I travel now, why would I change that on a hike. There's a reason I'm intent on buying a better sleep system for hiking. And yes, when I absolutely had to motel it for business trips with a couple of other staff members, I gladly let them have the beds while I carried my BYOB.

Guess since I have no desire to keep others up all night with my snoring, I won't get to 'enjoy' that part of the trail experience either.

Do what's comfortable and convenient for you. Don't let either those on WB or the new friends you meet on the trail tell you how to HYOH. Oh and don't tell them how to hike theirs' either!!

Enjoy all those amazing vistas, save the energy for taking as many blue blazes as you want and make sure that you stick to your own hike.

Oh, and if it took a 5x5x7 to store 'all your stuff', you still have way too much stuff...rofl!!

Have fun, make this hike what you want it to be!

Thanks! If anything - I'll be saving the shelters/motels/etc... from my sawing logs. It's ridiculous - even my dog barks and growls at me to shut the hell up when I'm sleeping.

And that 5X5X7 space includes furniture! Not sure if I'll need it right away post hike - but didn't want to offload it for cheap and have to spend any extra in the future.

underscored
03-28-2012, 16:17
Did you get all your shots for the trip?

...and submitted my immunization paperwork to the ATC. Should be all set.

BrianLe
03-28-2012, 16:20
I've known people who spend really minimal time in towns; it's certainly do-able, and for folks on a limited budget it's kind of a good idea. The majority of thru-hikers do, however, look forward to and enjoy time in trail towns along the way.

IMO, unless schedule or budget constraints come into it, I wouldn't worry about it. Before you do a thru-hike, you can only have a limited sense of what kind of a thru-hiker you'll be. The people you end up hiking with will impact this a lot too --- you might well find yourself enjoying the company of one or more trail companions to the point that you opt to spend less or more time in a trail town as you otherwise might have done.

I think this is another in the list of things to relax about and figure out as you go. (and I say that as a long-term "planner type" ...)

ScottP
03-28-2012, 16:47
Ok, this is just a meandering type post. I've gotten a ton of advice in the other two threads (big bad scary bears and ripping my gear down).

Just curious - is it ingrained in the thru-hike (culture? past experiences? not sure what to call it) - that towns and motels and hostels and shuttles are part of it? I planned this entire trip (before coming online and drilling down details) with the (wrong?) assumption that it's me - the trail - those I come across - and the occasional long haul into a town to refill food and then back on the trail out as quickly as possible.

I've yet to read about someone seriously forgoing all of the finer things and planning on being solely on trail (again - with the exception of food resupplies). Am I completely wrong in having this mindset going forward?

I know how to repair gear and rig fixes.
I know how to make due with what I have.
I don't mind going hungry if it's for the bigger goal and I know I'll get food in me at point x in time.

Unless it's going to be something that kills me instantly (lightning, tornado, tsunami) - weather isn't going to get me off the trail.

Thoughts? Tell me I'm an idiot - OR - tell me that it's just a difference on how things get done out there? I def. understand (and love) the HYOH idea, but I figured there'd be a camp of people out there with similar mindsets as mine. Maybe they just don't online and ramble as much.

You want to hike like a PCT hiker. that's awesome. Nothing on the AT stops you from doing that.

RockDoc
03-28-2012, 17:00
Your thoughts are refreshing.

Really there's a whole load of baggage (pardon the expression) that comes along with a thru-hike, and the bad side of it is that you will be denegrated if you depart from it much. I mean things like doing the approach trail (or not), walking by every single white blaze, the photo at McAfee Knob, pigging out at Catawba, the Maryland challenge, the half gallon challenge, and a bunch of other silly conformist glop.

Others really get into doing the formularic thru-hike, exactly according to rules that others have established.

It's refreshing to hear a different point of view, which I agree is more like the point of view of a PCT or CDT hiker.

Best of luck.

rocketsocks
03-28-2012, 18:14
...and submitted my immunization paperwork to the ATC. Should be all set.oh bummer man,I think they were supposed to go to the......Dept.of Atta boy.:DYou are truly ready,have a great hike.

stranger
03-29-2012, 00:50
You're not crazy, if you desire a more spartan experience, more 'roughing it' or traditional approach to thru-hiking the AT, there is absolutely no reason why you cannot have that experience in 2012. The fact remains that in this day and age, AT thru-hiking has become a culture, a tradition, a market, a community and certainly a business. Ron Haven makes a living off thru-hikers for example, this isn't a bad thing but I doubt he could have done that in 1990. Also, town opportunities are everywhere in the south (Springer to Pearisburg) but after that they do lighten up a tad. For example:
- Hiker Hostel mile 20
- Neels Gap mile 30
- Helen mile 50
- Hiawassee mile 67
- Frankling mile 107
- NOC mile 133
- Fontana mile 165
- Gatlinburg mile 205
- Standing Bear Farm mile 240
- Hot Springs mile 273
...starting to get the picture? All those towns cater to hikers and because most AT thru-hikers have limited experience, they are far more likely to head into town when the 'weather is bad', which usually means it's raining haha, than spend 16 hours in their tent.

In this day and age, it's not uncommon for thru-hikers to spend 50 nights under a roof in a motel or hostel...back in the mid 90's that would have been very rare, even more rare in the 80's. Opportunity and knowledge has changed this, there are more places and more people know about them, so it's no wonder people tent to rely on them.

There are still plenty of hikers who go out there and hike for day on end with no town stops. I know a guy who got to Damascus on just 4 resupplys, where as I resupplied about 9 times before reaching Damascus on both my hikes. Also, some people spend $7000, others spend $1800 - the trail is the same, why the huge difference = the person involved.

You can do what you want as long as you stick to your ideals, you will also hike the trail much faster and probably have a much more interesting experience overall. If you leave late April, avoid shelters, etc...you will probably find the AT completely different than what you have read. Yes, the trail is very social...for those who socialise. Some people prefer to stay in the woods, zero at a nice campsite and read half a book...MOST hikers would not do that in 2012. Does not mean you can't do it.

Do what you want to do, but if you do end up in a few more motels than anticipated...you will have to pay for those. Many hikers start out with one ideal, and find the reality a whole lot different. Nothing like experience to understand this.