PDA

View Full Version : nobo starting in 5 days

josh12
03-28-2012, 12:25
here is where i stand with my gear as of right this very second.

any suggestions would be great, although i am not looking to purchase anything new and only use what i have now.

osprey aether 85 pack...i know its big

rei passage 1 tent w/ rainfly

bug agnes lost ranger sleeping bag

bih agnes 2.5" sleeping pad

jet boil flash set up

katadyn water pump

pack cover

eno hammock

rei convert pants

smartwool top x2

4 x socks

4x underware

assorted first aid

food

water

other misc items

total pack weight 34lbs

im used to carrying 40lbs + when my girlfriend and i go out so this is a good drop in weight for me.

moldy
03-28-2012, 21:57
A hammok and a tent? Seems excessive. I think you have too much clothing. My humble opinion is that by the time you hike the 31 miles to Neel's gap you will be re-thinking the amount of weight you want to carry day in and day out for 6 months. Miles X pack weight= body damage. You will do damage and in order to keep going you will need recovery time. The 3 controllable variables, miles per day, pack weight and recovery time. By lowering your pack weight you will be able to make more miles per day or the amount of zero days you need to recover.

underscored
03-28-2012, 22:00
I vote commando. Keep things less funky. And that way I'll know I won't be the only one out there doing it.

johnnybgood
03-28-2012, 22:11
AquaMira drops are way better than futzing with a water pump every day.

Passengr57
03-28-2012, 22:19
When I hiked south in 2000 from PA my body was wracked quickly for exactly that reason; a heavier than anticipated pack. I got to harpers ferry with a pack something in excess of 40lbs I mean hey I thought I'd need my goretex. I sent that home with along with a slew of other stuff. By the time I left I was looking at 28lbs with 3days food and 3qts water and I flew through the roller coaster and never looked back. Right now I'm making similar decisions and trying to stay as low as I can but I doubt I'll achieve the same weight again (shrug). it's tough, just scrutinize the youknowhat out of your items. good luck. :)

josh12
03-28-2012, 22:47
i like to have my hammock and the tent. its nice to get off your feet for lunch or a quick rest, also makes it nice when you dont feel like setting up camp. hang the hammock and pass out. im thinking could ditch some clothing maybe just go with one pant, two tops and half the underware and socks.

Rocket Jones
03-29-2012, 06:43
I'd keep 3 pairs of socks - 1 for sleep and 2 to swap out for hiking. 1 pair of underwear is plenty.

4shot
03-29-2012, 07:35
i like to have my hammock and the tent. its nice to get off your feet for lunch or a quick rest, also makes it nice when you dont feel like setting up camp. hang the hammock and pass out. im thinking could ditch some clothing maybe just go with one pant, two tops and half the underware and socks.

josh12, there's a reason a person packs what they do - they believe that they either need it or it will make them comfortable. Start with what you have on the list. Then you'll either discard it or keep carrying it because you feel the item is justified. It's that simple. Do not listen to others tell you what you should or should not carry, although I happen to agree with some of the tips above. I left Springer two years ago (yesterday was the anniversary) with 43 lbs. including food and water. I replaced a tent and a stove for weight and found I was carrying too many clothes. I never did get as light as most others but by your 4th week you don't even think about it anymore (unless you are leaving town with a full food bag, those were always the worst days). My advice - just start with what you think you'll need and then adjust if you feel the need.

ScottP
03-29-2012, 09:00
here is where i stand with my gear as of right this very second.

any suggestions would be great, although i am not looking to purchase anything new and only use what i have now.

osprey aether 85 pack...i know its big

rei passage 1 tent w/ rainfly

bug agnes lost ranger sleeping bag

bih agnes 2.5" sleeping pad

jet boil flash set up

katadyn water pump

pack cover

eno hammock

rei convert pants

smartwool top x2

4 x socks

4x underware

assorted first aid

food

water

other misc items

total pack weight 34lbs

im used to carrying 40lbs + when my girlfriend and i go out so this is a good drop in weight for me.

if I tried that for a week you'd see me taking 10 zeroes in a row with bags of ice on my knees. Ouch

PapaGarrettP
03-29-2012, 09:25
2 underwear max
3 sox;; 1 pair large, loose, fluffy sleeping bag sox
1 small net bag to carry/store your small items

josh12
03-29-2012, 10:54
4shot i totally agree with you... now that i think about it id never find anyone on this website to have the same opinion i do with my gear. ill be the one carrying it and thats all it come down to. im in no rush and the whole thing is going to be nothing but a learning experience. thanks for the replies guys. i do appreciate everyones opinion and am greatful to have found whiteblaze. off to the woods i go....

underscored
03-29-2012, 12:43
I'm still throwing my assumed vote toward no underwear.

Logic tells me things will get funkier than normal down there thus more space = more breathing room = ahhhhhhhh.

josh12
03-29-2012, 13:45
not an option for me...gotta protect the junk from those little creepy crawlies and blood suckers

underscored
03-29-2012, 16:27
That's a very fair point. Touche' sir. Touche'. If my junk falls off, I might not blog about that part.

Good luck on the trail. Be out there myself soon enough.

josh12
03-29-2012, 17:30
That's a very fair point. Touche' sir. Touche'. If my junk falls off, I might not blog about that part.

Good luck on the trail. Be out there myself soon enough.

when are you headed out and where are you starting?

Spokes
03-29-2012, 17:41
When you hit Neels Gap have the folks at Mountain Crossings give you a free pack shakedown. No pressure advice.

Enjoy your hike.

underscored
03-29-2012, 18:17
when are you headed out and where are you starting?

Flying into Atlanta on April 12th.
Spending the night of the 12th/13th owning the pool table at Backstreets Bar in Clemson, SC.
Hitting the approach trail on the 14th - camping with my friends somewhere up around the top of Springer.
"Officially" starting post hangover on the 15th.

rocketsocks
03-29-2012, 18:42
Flying into Atlanta on April 12th.
Spending the night of the 12th/13th owning the pool table at Backstreets Bar in Clemson, SC.
Hitting the approach trail on the 14th - camping with my friends somewhere up around the top of Springer.
"Officially" starting post hangover on the 15th.A bloody mary with slim jim might help you out with that.

josh12
03-29-2012, 18:42
right on man well good luck to you and maybe ill see you out there

spokes thanks for the advice on the shakedown

Mike2012
03-29-2012, 19:23
Sitting here at NOC to heal up my ankle sprain. Defineatly do the pack shakedown at Neels. I got some great advice there and learned to better organize the gear I kept. I'm very happy with aquamira instead of a filter. When there is abundant water 2 liters is fine and its always better to drink it than pack it so I tank up more often and carry less now. I have two pairs wicking underwear and FOUR pairs of smartwool socks at $20 each but 4 for the price of three when I bought them at EMS. A few times I wished for a hammock to just kick it but my tent is fine. Jetboil is a super simple and effective choice.
You will most likely pick stuff to send home before you even get to Neels Gap. Mind the bear cannister regulations. Ran into a hiker that hung food at Jarrard Gap and had it swiped at night. It's great out here! See you down the trail!

josh12
03-29-2012, 22:32
Sitting here at NOC to heal up my ankle sprain. Defineatly do the pack shakedown at Neels. I got some great advice there and learned to better organize the gear I kept. I'm very happy with aquamira instead of a filter. When there is abundant water 2 liters is fine and its always better to drink it than pack it so I tank up more often and carry less now. I have two pairs wicking underwear and FOUR pairs of smartwool socks at $20 each but 4 for the price of three when I bought them at EMS. A few times I wished for a hammock to just kick it but my tent is fine. Jetboil is a super simple and effective choice.
You will most likely pick stuff to send home before you even get to Neels Gap. Mind the bear cannister regulations. Ran into a hiker that hung food at Jarrard Gap and had it swiped at night. It's great out here! See you down the trail!

thanks for the heads up...id heard about some recent activity from the furry beasts. was planning on not camping in that 5 mile section. ive also heard that alot of people are sleeping with thier food in the tent. this is something ive never done. anyone have thoughts on that?

4shot
03-30-2012, 07:37
ive also heard that alot of people are sleeping with thier food in the tent. this is something ive never done. anyone have thoughts on that?

In summary there are 2 schools of thought on this issue and are as follows - one group does and the other group doesn't. The group that does has no problem doing so and the group that doesn't is concerned with critters, bugs, varmints and mammals getting into their tent. There is a very small % of obstinate hikers who fall into both camps - some nights they do, some nights they don't. This synopsis should prevent hours of searching and reading various other threads on the topic. :) Best wishes on your hike josh 12.