PDA

View Full Version : Hot Springs to Erwin

hikerjohnd
03-31-2005, 07:37
Is there anything between Hot Springs and Erwin for resupply? I am starting my hike at Hot Springs and am a little slower than B Jack (well, I'll be slower than what he has on his resupply list) and just wondered if there was a waypoint in between... Thanks!:jump

Lone Wolf
03-31-2005, 07:53
No practical resupply between HS and Erwin.

owl
03-31-2005, 08:20
take the first day out at allen gap back 14 miles slack pack light, than stay in hot springs that night, next morning go back out to allen gap and one less day of hiking toward Erwin....

Jack Tarlin
03-31-2005, 11:57
For future reference, it's about 68 miles between the two towns.

Most folks are making it to Erwin with five days of food less one dinner, i.e. they're getting to Erwin around the middle of the fourth day.

Some folks make it in four days; this would be seventeen miles per day, a fairly good clip. The last day into Erwin is pretty easy.

If you do the Allen Gap slack back to town (around 15 miles, much of it downhill, and much easier to do in a Southbound direction), then you can head off to Erwin with three and a half days of supplies.

If you decide to bail at Sam's Gap and hitch into Erwin, be aware that it is now illegal to hitch here as the highway classification has been changed.

Jaybird
03-31-2005, 12:30
Hikerjohnd

Hey, watch out for "the Model T crew" also hikin' Hot Springs to Erwin
(APr 28-May 5th)...after that...they go home...i continue onto Carvers Gap (May 6 & 7)....then i shuttle to Damascus & hike to Pearsiburg (May 8-20)

hope to see U out there....i'll share any extra food with u....hehehehehe :D

hikerjohnd
03-31-2005, 13:15
Hikerjohnd

Hey, watch out for "the Model T crew" also hikin' Hot Springs to Erwin
(APr 28-May 5th)...after that...they go home...i continue onto Carvers Gap (May 6 & 7)....then i shuttle to Damascus & hike to Pearsiburg (May 8-20)

hope to see U out there....i'll share any extra food with u....hehehehehe :D
I'll be watching out for ya - and will gladly accept any handouts! I'll be movin kinda slow - so I'm sure you'll pass me!

Brushy Sage
03-31-2005, 14:08
Hey, Patco and I hiked Hot Springs to Erwin without resupply, and I was 72 yrs old. I didn't have a lot of food left in my food bag; neither did I go hungry! It was a great hike.

neo
04-01-2005, 03:07
i did not have any food shortage problems on that section,i did it in 3 days:cool: neo

orangebug
04-01-2005, 09:44
Thru hikers have trail legs by that point, and begin to punch out some really cool miles, with few views to distract (except on the 6 miles south of Jerry's Cabin. Section hikers don't, and can get very frustrated with some of the climbs. Rich Mtn, Devil's Fork Gap to Allen Gap, and a couple other areas can be a real challenge - especially if there is any rain.

I'd plan on 5 days food and be really stoked if I did it in less.

Jack Tarlin
04-01-2005, 09:54
My above post has one small error: Most hikers are arriving in Erwin on the middle of the FIFTH day after leaving Hot Springs, not the fourth. Anyone who makes it in less than four full days is travelling pretty fast.

Doctari
04-01-2005, 14:42
It took me the better part of 6 days to do that section. I strolled into Erwin at 10.20 AM on day 6 from Hot Springs.

I left Hot Springs noon of day 5 of my section hike. That was the day I got Hypothermia, so only did 3 miles next day. Otherwise, perhaps, I may have arrived in Erwin PM of day 5. I also did a 17 mile day to No Business shelter, so,,,,,

I like that section, even with the trouble I got myself into climbing out of Hot Springs.

Doctari.

neo
04-01-2005, 16:31
i did not have any food shortage problems on that section,i did it in 3 days:cool: neoi get and early start and hike really late,i am not a fast hiker,i average 2 miles an hour including breaks,but i average 12 hours a day,i rather hike a few extra hours than hang out in camp,i hike alone and camp alone and eat on the run
:cool: neo

hike to live and live to hike:cool: neo