PDA

View Full Version : Best overlook?

Loneoak
03-28-2012, 15:42
I will be in Franklin TN this weekend and am wondering which overlook on the A T is best. Never stepped foot on the actual A T and looking forward to it........thanks

Tipi Walter
03-28-2012, 16:17
I like heading south on the AT from Wise Shelter in the Mt Rogers area and passing the AT Spur trail and WHAM! There's the three ryholite peaks of Wilburn Ridge in front of you. The next is when you actually get on top of the biggest (the second peak) and look down onto a windswept valley with the third peak in the distance. Afterwards you pass over the third and eventually reach the Thomas Knob shelter.

Another good viewage is from Roan Mt, of course. Cheoah Bald ain't bad either. All these are strictly Southeast stuff.

Slickrock wilderness has one of the best views in the Southeast, but off the AT---Hangover Mt.

Wait a minute---none of these are in Franklin . . . .

Ladyofthewoods
03-28-2012, 16:26
You won't find the AT in Franklin, TN..did you mean NC?

Cookerhiker
03-28-2012, 17:36
Assuming you're talking about Franklin, NC, I would think one of the fire towers - Wesser or Wayah - would be the best for views.

hikerboy57
03-28-2012, 18:08
what could be possibly better than the view from K on a clear day after 2100+miles?

Loneoak
03-28-2012, 18:18
Sorry, yes I meant NC

Loneoak
03-28-2012, 18:19
Thank you sir

Datto
03-28-2012, 18:34
The Cliffs just north of the Georgia/North Carolina border on the Appalachian Trail were spectacular when I came through there on my AT thru-hike. That qualified as an overlook for me.

Datto

HikerMom58
03-28-2012, 20:35
Welcome to the AT... there's way too many beautiful places too choose just one! :) ENJOY... we have some great overlooks in VA!!!

fiddlehead
03-28-2012, 20:39
Yeah, I agree with Katahdin or maybe the view from Lafayette or Lake of the Clouds.
Sometime's it's better to look up to a mountain for a good view, rather than down.

But yes, there are many. The best would be different for many depending on the weather, time of year, who you are with at the time, humidity, etc.
Just go enjoy.

George P Burdell
03-28-2012, 22:15
Go to Siler Bald. It's very close to Franklin, and has 360 degree views, no road to the top, and only about 2 miles from the road crossing. Dark night skies to the north and south for stargazing, and you can see the lights of Franklin to the east. Not too windy when I was up there, but maybe that was an exception because the bald is quite exposed.

Rain Man
03-29-2012, 10:23
The OP asked about Franklin, NC this weekend. WHY are people talking about places in New England at all?!!! Are Americans THAT geographically-challenged?

BTW, I agree with the GOOD suggestions (i.e., those near Franklin) already made. Siler Bald or the lookout towers on Wesser or Wayah.

Rain:sunMan

Kerosene
03-29-2012, 12:18
If I were in Franklin with limited hiking time I would probably drive to Tellico Gap and hike up to the Wesser Bald Tower on a clear day. If you are coming to/from Tennessee on I-40 then I'd get off on Exit 7 and drive north on mountainous dirt roads (passable by car when it's dry) to take in Max Patch.

Note that Silers Bald is perhaps 2 miles from the AT crossing in Wayah Gap, but over 4 miles from US-60 on the AT. You could also drive most of the way up to the Wayah Bald Tower, which has a nice view, but not as nice as Wesser IMO. You can see Silers Bald with its wide field leading up to the summit off to the right from Wayah Bald.

Loneoak
03-29-2012, 12:28
Thanks everyone for your suggestions. Hopefully I will be able to take in a couple views :)

jduncan7998
03-29-2012, 14:43
Drive to Deep Gap, NC and hike to the summit of Standing Indian Mountain.