PDA

View Full Version : Man attacked by mountain lion, saved by bear

BobTheBuilder
03-28-2012, 16:51
I loved this story, and I loved the last two paragraphs:

http://www.paradisepost.com/news/ci_20269991/man-claims-attack-by-lion-saved-by-bear

Old men rule!

Feral Bill
03-28-2012, 16:59
I'd get rabies shots.

rocketsocks
03-28-2012, 17:09
Wow,that guy is a true badass,hope he doesn't get botulism,or "Cat Scratch Fever"Da Na,Na.;)

Pedaling Fool
03-28-2012, 17:16
He has the perfect attitude towards the wilds. Unlike all the freakin' wusses out in nature.

quilteresq
03-28-2012, 17:19
More guts than me! Love it!

lunchbx
03-28-2012, 17:22
Great story, this guy is lucky on so many levels! I can't help but wonder if mama bear protected him knowingly, having recognized him from their previous encounters. Sort of a thank you for playing nice with my baby last time! I prob wouldn't go to the hospital either unless I needed stitches or I got an infection down the road and needed antibiotics.

randyg45
03-28-2012, 19:15
He's obviously trying to stay incognito, but this guy is Lone Wolf's brother.
Don't pass it on.

Pedaling Fool
03-28-2012, 19:18
He has the perfect attitude towards the wilds. Unlike all the freakin' wusses out in nature.Ok, I just read the whole story, in my previous post I only skimmed the article and was only responding to the last few sentences -- in my defense, I may have suffered a minor sun stroke on today's bike ride:o

That's kind of strange, playing patty-cake with a cub:confused:, but I still like his care-free attitude concerning an attack by a hungry predator.

Panzer1
03-28-2012, 19:20
I don't believe it.

Panzer

rocketsocks
03-28-2012, 19:30
Ok, I just read the whole story, in my previous post I only skimmed the article and was only responding to the last few sentences -- in my defense, I may have suffered a minor sun stroke on today's bike ride:o

That's kind of strange, playing patty-cake with a cub:confused:, but I still like his care-free attitude concerning an attack by a hungry predator.Gee John ,sorry to hear about the sun stroke:rolleyes::)I don't care so much that he plays with wild animals,but don't understand the cleaning with Hydrogen Peroxide,it's not for deep puncture wounds,I am a firm believer in peroxide,I use it all the time for minor nicks and cuts,even gargled with it,but not on deep wounds with skin hanging off like the article Say's.What I really miss is that "Monkey Blood"True mercurochrome with the glass dabber that you can't get anymore.That stuff would set your hair on end.....good stuff.Drink Lot's and get one of them there parasols beanies.there cool

bigcranky
03-28-2012, 20:22
The article says he's a "naturist." I kinda hope they mean "naturalist." There's a significant difference in those two little letters....

Rain Man
03-28-2012, 20:35
The article says he's a "naturist." I kinda hope they mean "naturalist." There's a significant difference in those two little letters....

Maybe he's both?!

Rain:sunMan

fiddlehead
03-28-2012, 20:49
I don't believe it either.
And, if it is true, most likely he's been feeding that bear. (why else would it be so friendly to humans)

Not saying he didn't get attacked by a mt lion, just that I don't believe he played patty-cake with a wild bear.
Anyway, interesting story and I hope I can wrestle mt. lions when I'm that age.

lunchbx
03-28-2012, 21:13
it is quite unbelievable. That's why I said he's lucky on many levels. Lucky the bear didn't mess him up on the first encounter since common knowledge dictates that getting close to mama and cubs = certain mauling, lucky the big cat didn't instantly go for his throat as they are instinctively inclined, and lucky (if this story is true) to have witnessed two large predators in the wild at the same time/spot.

gregpphoto
03-28-2012, 22:54
Bear replaces dog as mans best friend.

Big Dawg
03-29-2012, 00:49
news report.....

"thru hiker and pet bear caught,, planning hung food bag raids at night to supplement resupply"

Feral Bill
03-29-2012, 12:14
The article says he's a "naturist." I kinda hope they mean "naturalist." There's a significant difference in those two little letters.... Maybe they meant fabulist.

turtle fast
03-29-2012, 13:33
The whole story is quite suspect. If true its quite amazing, but I am still suspicious of the story.

flemdawg1
03-29-2012, 14:27
And how many wild mushrooms did this nature lover sample before his "encounter"?

Pedaling Fool
03-30-2012, 19:43
OK, I just listened to this story on TV, with an interview with the guy. I'm completely suspicious now, but that's all I can say since it was such a short piece and the guy was only shown for a few seconds, but it was enough to make me feel stupid for believing this story.

I didn't think for one second that the bear was acting out of any altruistic motives, but apparently the victim does and I should have seen that in the article. What can I say, I didn't have my thinking cap on:o

Wise Old Owl
03-30-2012, 21:00
awwwe Nay sayer.... honest - its his story - why should it be suspect - if we really need to be.

Miami Joe
03-31-2012, 16:42
Patty cakes with a bear cub? Come on, guys. This is total bologna! Great story, though, like the time I was drowning in the Southern Ocean amid the ice floes when the world's last remaining snow dragon swooped down from the heavens and saved my life. Said dragon, Empress of the Antarctic that she is, then feed me seal meat and Orca blubber inside her ice cave deep underground, where the ice shelf meets the Gamburtsev Mountains, until I regained enough strength to swim to New Zealand.

Sarcasm the elf
03-31-2012, 19:07
Patty cakes with a bear cub? Come on, guys. This is total bologna! Great story, though, like the time I was drowning in the Southern Ocean amid the ice floes when the world's last remaining snow dragon swooped down from the heavens and saved my life. Said dragon, Empress of the Antarctic that she is, then feed me seal meat and Orca blubber inside her ice cave deep underground, where the ice shelf meets the Gamburtsev Mountains, until I regained enough strength to swim to New Zealand.

That still sounds more believable than the plot of that teenage chick flick action movie that my girlfriend wants to drag me to this weekend.