PDA

View Full Version : How's this for motivation!?

SCGamecock
03-28-2012, 21:53
I had a friend from high school pass away a couple of weeks ago. 43 years old. They found him on the couch.

WingedMonkey
03-28-2012, 21:59
I had a friend from high school pass away a couple of weeks ago. 43 years old. They found him on the couch.
I guess it's better than being found in a windshield.

SCGamecock
03-28-2012, 22:02
True. Just sad that he was so young.

Lone Wolf
03-28-2012, 22:47

so..........?

Rasty
03-28-2012, 23:07

so..........?

Ever thought of a second career doing eulogies?

Lone Wolf
03-28-2012, 23:15
Ever thought of a second career doing eulogies?

i'm miffed. a friend dies and the other friend is motivated ?

Mr. Clean
03-29-2012, 04:34
I also just had a good friend die, in his chair......at 46 yrs old.

moytoy
03-29-2012, 05:53
Sorry that your friend died on his couch. You may need to explain in what way you were motivated.

RedBeerd
03-29-2012, 06:47
If a person dies that young sitting on the couch it shows the poor quality of life he or she lived. They didnt die at 65 summiting everest or doing anything wild. Sorry for the loss but I guess I do see where the motivation comes from..

rocketsocks
03-29-2012, 06:53
If a person dies that young sitting on the couch it shows the poor quality of life he or she lived. They didn't die at 65 summiting everest or doing anything wild. Sorry for the loss but I guess I do see where the motivation comes from..Not really following ya there,on the quality of life thing.

Don H
03-29-2012, 06:54
Maybe he just finished a thru-hike and was preparing to climb Mt Everest. Just because you sit on a couch doesn't make you a couch potato.
Maybe the OP is motivated because his friend dying so young made him realize that life is short and that he should make the most of every day.

Sorry you friend died.

SCGamecock
03-29-2012, 07:34
I wasn't going to right a book so everyone on WB could understand my motivation. It's so funny how people love to be so critical on here. Some of you got it. Thanks. Life is short. He died young. Pretty simple.

coach lou
03-29-2012, 09:13
My dear friend Joe left us @ 40, cancer, and he fought it hard. I'm not layin' up in Hospice wishin' I would'a, could'a or should'a!

RedBeerd
03-29-2012, 09:49
If a person dies that young sitting on the couch it shows the poor quality of life he or she lived. They didn't die at 65 summiting everest or doing anything wild. Sorry for the loss but I guess I do see where the motivation comes from..Not really following ya there,on the quality of life thing.

Vague post so we will all interpret it differently.

rocketsocks
03-29-2012, 09:58
Vague post so we will all interpret it differently.all righty then.

Pedaling Fool
03-29-2012, 10:04
What was the cause of death?

Rocket Jones
03-29-2012, 11:39
I think his point is that you can die on the couch in your living room, or you can be motivated to get up, get out and be doing something.

chief
03-29-2012, 12:37
Is the couch okay?

Loneoak
03-29-2012, 12:38
Sorry to hear about your friend, it does motivate one to get out and enjoy life when it is possible

Tenderheart
03-29-2012, 12:49
I wasn't going to right a book so everyone on WB could understand my motivation. It's so funny how people love to be so critical on here. Some of you got it. Thanks. Life is short. He died young. Pretty simple.

I hear you, SCGamecock. Yes, folks on here can get their panties in a wad very easily. If your buddy died from a sedentary lifestyle, then you know what to do. Sorry for your loss. How did a SCGamecock wind up in Canada?

NickBigly
03-29-2012, 13:07
I hear you, SCGamecock. Yes, folks on here can get their panties in a wad very easily. If your buddy died from a sedentary lifestyle, then you know what to do. Sorry for your loss. How did a SCGamecock wind up in Canada?

SCGamecock, I got it! Putting in the perspective that this is a forum where most of us are active and outdoors type people. Some of us are sensitive and open minded. To die on the couch at such a youing age. It motivates me to do more activity. It is a shame there is so much knowledge on this websight, but some people can't see the forest through the trees. If you people take things so literal, GET OFF OF THE MOUNTAIN! Now...try to figure that one out........(Waiting for the bashing.):rolleyes:

Big Papa

SCGamecock
03-29-2012, 13:34
@ John Gault - My friend died of a heart attack. He didn't lead the healthiest of lifestyles.
@ Tenderheart - In Canada for my wife's job. I'm not currently working so I'll be part of AT 2013.
@ Big Papa, Moytoy, Loneoak - Thanks

BobTheBuilder
03-29-2012, 17:17
I understand the motivation completely - when I was forty, a good friend of mine died. It hit me that there were a lot of things I wanted to do and I better get started. Since then I haven't given up my responsibilities to my family, but I have changed to a better job, travelled the world, and hiked 12 sections of the AT. Sometimes a kick is what you need to get going.

MissMagnolia
03-29-2012, 17:28
I understand the motivation as well. My friend is 38, same age as I am, and she hiked rim to rim in the Grand Canyon a few years back. A couple of years ago her scoliosis acted up and she had back surgery that put her in bed for most of the last two years. She's still in constant pain and can barely walk. Watching her go through this has been massive motivation for me to do my thru-hike now, while I physically can, because you just never know what might happen to your health and abilities.