PDA

View Full Version : Towns and stuff near springer?

Theosus
03-29-2012, 06:43
I have to go to newnan, ga (southwest of ATL) next Saturday. I was thinking about going up Friday, and getting up Saturday to drive up FS 42 and walk the mile south to springer.

My wife will be with me, so that means no camping. I also don't want to drive too far (it's 6 hours to springer already) Saturday morning, I have a 2 hour drive to newnan after the walk. I see a lot of little towns in the area around amicalola SP. Are there any interesting towns to stay in? Nice little hotels, good places to eat? Any advice would help.

How is the parking situation at FS 42? I expect a lot of nobos would be leaving around that time, is parking a problem then?

rocketsocks
03-29-2012, 07:07
Dahlonega got some flavor to it.

stranger
03-29-2012, 07:18
Agreed, Dahlonega is a cool little town, also the parking area can get full but most hikers are shuttled up there and therefore dropped off

Energizer Bunny
03-29-2012, 21:08
I live in Dahlonega and your wife would love the square. If you can get to Springer before 10 or so it won't be too crowded. I haven't had any problems parking there. Take the BMT loop off of Springer (4miles round trip) and there is a gorgeous overlook. Enjoy!!