PDA

View Full Version : Robbed on trail?

wannahike
03-29-2012, 07:41
I came across this while reading trail journals.

Mar. 28th
"one person got robbed on the trail yesterday and was talking to the franklin police."

from this journal
http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=13004

Anyone have anymore info?

kayak karl
03-29-2012, 07:55
with that little bit of info it could of been anything, camera, poles, cash from pack ? if it was serious (armed robbery) we will hear from locals in Franklin i'm sure.

Spokes
03-29-2012, 08:56
I agree with Kayak Karl-too little information.

What bothers me is the consistent use of wrong terms. The media is notorious for this.

So, was it actually robbery or just larceny? The two are way different crimes since robbery involves the taking of propery by threat of violence or intimidation whereas larceny is just plain old stealing.

Did the perp stick a gun in your face and take your backpack or did you just leave it outside the grocery store and return to find it gone. Big difference!

max patch
03-29-2012, 09:33
This is what struck me from the journal:

Yesterday in the middle of the trail we had trail magic from Gingersnap. she left fresh baked goods hanging from a big tub in a tree so the bears couldn't get it.

rocketsocks
03-29-2012, 09:49
I got Robb(larcenied)the other day by a little kid selling lemonade.The sign said "ALL YOU CAN DRINK FOR A DIME"So I had a glass,and it was good,"I'll have another one please".She said "that'll be another dime",I said "but the sign says", "All you can drink for a dime".She said "but you had a glass right?"Yeah."Well that's all you can drink for a dime".

Pedaling Fool
03-29-2012, 10:09
Whether this happened or not is irrelevant. The fact is it does happen and just because one has a feeling of community, which is a good feeling, but rest assure that feeling is only a false sense of security. It may be a true sense around certain people, but you're always meeting strangers and some strangers are really good at acting.

Creek Dancer
03-29-2012, 10:16
Of course it's relevant.

Pedaling Fool
03-29-2012, 10:22
It's irrelevant to me. I know these things (whether it's simple robbery or larceny or murder) can happen anywhere; simple fact of life, always be on guard.

P.S. save me the stupid talk of being paranoid, if anyone believes being vigilant towards being a victim is paranoia, then they simply don't get it.

Spokes
03-29-2012, 10:26
Talk about perpetuating paranoia- I'd say getting your facts wrong by telling people a robbery occurred instead of a simple larceny qualifies.

Rain Man
03-29-2012, 10:32
Whether this happened or not is irrelevant. The fact is it does happen and just because one has a feeling of community, which is a good feeling, but rest assure that feeling is only a false sense of security....

This scare tactic post reminded me of this article about confusing and exaggerating risks--
How We Confuse Real Risks with Exaggerated Ones (http://www.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,1564144,00.html?xid=feed-yahoo-full-nation-related)

Rain:sunMan

Pedaling Fool
03-29-2012, 10:35
I'm sorry, didn't mean to scare anyone; I keep forgetting how much people freak out here:)

wannahike
03-29-2012, 10:35
Wow, I feel like a troll.
Whether it is robbery, larceny or a simple brain fart, if someone is speaking with the police I thought there might be more information.

atmilkman
03-29-2012, 10:36
I got Robb(larcenied)the other day by a little kid selling lemonade.The sign said "ALL YOU CAN DRINK FOR A DIME"So I had a glass,and it was good,"I'll have another one please".She said "that'll be another dime",I said "but the sign says", "All you can drink for a dime".She said "but you had a glass right?"Yeah."Well that's all you can drink for a dime".

This little girl saw you comming. (lol) that's funny. Did you spring a dime for another glass? Hope people here don't think she should be turned over to the authorities for false advertising. you may have opened a whiteblaze can of worms. :)

Spokes
03-29-2012, 10:37
I'm sorry, didn't mean to scare anyone; I keep forgetting how much people freak out here:)

Anyone flying JetBlue to get to the trail?

Spokes
03-29-2012, 10:38
Whether it is robbery, larceny or a simple brain fart, if someone is speaking with the police I thought there might be more information.

For all we know they were talking to the police to get directions on how to get to the library.

rocketsocks
03-29-2012, 10:59
This little girl saw you comming. (lol) that's funny. Did you spring a dime for another glass? Hope people here don't think she should be turned over to the authorities for false advertising. you may have opened a whiteblaze can of worms. :)Honestly the Devil made me tell that story~Flip Wilson

atmilkman
03-29-2012, 11:14
Honestly the Devil made me tell that story~Flip Wilson
Oh man! You got me. I feel like a big ol' bama catfish, taken hook, line and sinker.:datzAll in good fun. Still a funny senario.:)

rocketsocks
03-29-2012, 11:16
Whether it is robbery, larceny or a simple brain fart, if someone is speaking with the police I thought there might be more information.You did not troll.You reported what you read,nothing more."We report,you decide"I think that phrase works quite well,but most won't do the fact checking before they comet,including me.Chat forums aren't conducive to that.We shoot first,and apologize later.No Problem!Works pretty well.

rocketsocks
03-29-2012, 11:19
Oh man! You got me. I feel like a big ol' bama catfish, taken hook, line and sinker.:datzAll in good fun. Still a funny senario.:)No I'm sorry,you'll soon come to find most of what I say is BS,but not all of it.Don't beat yourself over it.

Slo-go'en
03-29-2012, 12:36
"Someone got robbed on the trail"

So, was this while in the woods or while in town? If it happened out in the woods, the thief is likely four legged and goes by the name "Yogi". If it happened in town (and talking to the Franklin police makes one think so), that is more disturbing, but not too suprising. Maybe Ron Haven knows the rest of the story?

bus
03-31-2012, 21:25

I Snopes'd it. Got nuthin'

:)

Theosus
04-01-2012, 18:28
I Snopes'd it. Got nuthin'

:)

The public in general is pretty stupid when it comes to proper terminology. To clarify:

You come home from vacation and your back door is kicked in and your TV is gone. You got burglarized. You didn't get robbed.

Someone sticks a gun in your face when you are working night shift at the Quick Mart. You got robbed.

Someone lifted your wallet from your purse when you were taking twenty-seven minutes to decide on which brand of shampoo to buy. Your wallet was stolen. You were not purse-snatched or robbed. Same thing if you woke up and your backpack is gone.

You wake up and see someone sneaking off down the trail with your backpack. You change your trail name after wiping the blood off your knife on his pants.

gpburdelljr
04-01-2012, 23:11
[QUOTE=Theosus;1273586]The public in general is pretty stupid when it comes to proper terminology. To clarify:

You come home from vacation and your back door is kicked in and your TV is gone. You got burglarized. You didn't get robbed.

Someone sticks a gun in your face when you are working night shift at the Quick Mart. You got robbed.

Someone lifted your wallet from your purse when you were taking twenty-seven minutes to decide on which brand of shampoo to buy. Your wallet was stolen. You were not purse-snatched or robbed. Same thing if you woke up and your backpack is gone.

According to Merriam Webster online, robbed can be used to descibe any of your scenarios.

Theosus
04-02-2012, 11:57
[QUOTE=Theosus;1273586]The public in general is pretty stupid when it comes to proper terminology. To clarify:

According to Merriam Webster online, robbed can be used to descibe any of your scenarios.

I was going by my state law... I didn't think about the dictionary saying otherwise. Good to know.

Spokes
04-02-2012, 12:04
[QUOTE=gpburdelljr;1273658]

I was going by my state law... I didn't think about the dictionary saying otherwise. Good to know.

Dictionary? Stick with State law.

Crimes are determined on whether or not the "elements of the crime" are met. Police officers, lawyers, and prosecutors know this and leave the bad vernacular to the journalists and the uninformed.....

BAG "o" TRICKS
04-06-2012, 18:19
Been in Franklin area since March 28th for April Fool's Bash and only 'read' a post on Atl and have not heard anything else about this. What I read was that a hiker was robbed at night by knife point, no gun, by a couple of guys using a flashlight. Don't know exactly where on the trail just in Burningtown Gap area.

4eyedbuzzard
04-07-2012, 08:36
Pretty sad getting your gear stolen on the trail, being that many times you got robbed at the outfitter when you bought it...

rocketsocks
04-07-2012, 09:11
Pretty sad getting your gear stolen on the trail, being that many times you got robbed at the outfitter when you bought it...Ouch,LOLHoHoHa

Theosus
04-07-2012, 22:55
Pretty sad getting your gear stolen on the trail, being that many times you got robbed at the outfitter when you bought it...

I once had a guy wanting to file a police report about his $5000 'rims' getting stolen. I asked him if he wanted to file two reports, because if he paid $5000 for something to hold the tires on his car, he got ripped off twice.

Having my stuff stolen is one of the biggest fears I have about backpacking. Not sure how to get over that except picking camping spots away from the general public. On the AT it seems like you have to put your faith in other hikers, or sleep lightly. Long distance section hikers and thru-hikers I wouldnt be too worried about (unless its food they are trying to steal), but overnighters or day hikers, who knows? your new pack or stove or mp3 player sitting on a rock while you walk the brown blaze trail, might be tempting.

Miami Joe
04-09-2012, 22:56
I blame the hippies and their drug-induced, larcenous ways!

attroll
04-10-2012, 08:02
Moving to the General forum as it is drifting off track fro the Straight Forward forum.