PDA

View Full Version : A couple questions about the South

Phikes
03-29-2012, 14:41
For all former SOBOers and hikers who live in the south. I will be attempting a SoBo this year and am really hung up on these two issues and am not seeing any definitive answers here. Any advice would be much appreciated.

1: How are water sources in oct/nov/dec?
Never backpacked anywhere but New England and water is NEVER a problem around here.

2: Can I get away with an alky stove all the way or should I switch out to a cannister or liquid fuel for Southern VA/TN/NC?
I know alkys dont work so well in the cold.

HiKen2011
03-29-2012, 16:05
For all former SOBOers and hikers who live in the south. I will be attempting a SoBo this year and am really hung up on these two issues and am not seeing any definitive answers here. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Never backpacked anywhere but New England and water is NEVER a problem around here.

2: Can I get away with an alky stove all the way or should I switch out to a cannister or liquid fuel for Southern VA/TN/NC?

As far as GA goes, Oct-Dec is usually pretty wet here so no problems with that. Alky shouldn't be a problem unless temps drop REALLY low and that USUALLY doesn't happen in the south that time of year. Good luck and have fun!

ScottP
03-29-2012, 16:57

1. They're fine

2. It should be fine. You might have problems in Dec-Feb at higher elevations (smokies)

Phikes
03-29-2012, 17:53
Thanks for the input. A few journals I've read in the past have mentioned H2O issues towards the end of their hikes. I'm hoping to finish by early Dec so I guess my stove choice won't be an issue. Now my only worry is making it there!

bigcranky
03-29-2012, 22:45
Yes, late fall can present some water issues depending on the year. We had an extended severe drought, but the last year or two have been better. Once you get all those miles under your belt, you'll be able to deal with it.

Tinker
03-29-2012, 23:42
In cold weather it helps to speed up cooking if you sleep with your fuel and your breakfast water. Upon arriving in camp on a cold day when you still have some body heat from the hike, put your fuel bottle and water for your dinner in your jacket while you set up camp for the same reason. If someone has a fire going, heat up some water to take to bed as a hot water bottle. That water can be your breakfast water next morning.