PDA

View Full Version : Secondary shoes?

Chuppacabra
03-30-2012, 16:08
Ok, please before anyone tells me this is a waste of weight I would like to be clear, this is my luxury item so I am pretty set on bringing a second pair of footwear. I have a pair of midweight boots that I'm bringing for the hike but here's where I'm somewhat conflicted. Do I bring a pair of flip flops (lightweight/easily cleaned/less friction) or do I bring a second pair of closed toed shoes (Crocs or minimus shoes). I'm kind of leaning towards something where on light days ie Virginia-Pennsylvania where it's relatively flat I can wear these secondary shoes for a more comfortable walk. This is kind of what I'm considering, let me know your alls thoughts. Thanks a lot this forum has honestly been amazing in getting me prepped for my TH :)

http://www.shopnewbalance.com/men/shoes/running/trail-running/MT00BL

Grampie
03-30-2012, 16:21
Most folks bring something else to wear other than the shoes they hike in. I took a pair of old tevas I had. It's nice to take off the hiking shoes when you are in camp on in town. You can also wear them in a shower. Crocks were very popular for a number of years. When you get to Maine and have to ford several streams it's nice to have something on your feet other than the shoes you normaly hike in.

RWheeler
03-30-2012, 16:31
Bring em! I'm taking flip flops as well.

rocketsocks
03-30-2012, 16:53
OK,this has been a subject of great debate.If I were hiking extended,I'd bring my sneaks,the reason is they weigh only a little more than my crocs.I take out the insert cause I can switch out the ones from my boots.Folks have done this for a very long time,and it seems it's only become a great weight savings when your thinking is towards light weight packing.for me it's a no-brainer,When your road walking to a town,you'll appreciate the comfort Just my two cents.

moytoy
03-30-2012, 16:56
I think the minimus or barefoot shoes are what I'm going to start using for my camp shoe. They are a little pricey for what they are but they are duel prupose. I'm watching for sales to get a deal on either the NB or Merrell.

leaftye
03-30-2012, 17:16
I would bring something that really allowed me feet to breathe and that I could shower in. That certainly isn't a pair of shoes. It might be Crocs, but I'd rather bring flip flops. I made myself a pair of flip flops out of a foam pad. It fits into my shoes, so it also doubles as very plush insoles.

Magua
03-30-2012, 17:21
I really want to bring some chacos for a camp shoe, Maine rivers, and wearing around town. I just wish they werent so heavy!

If these (http://www.chacos.com/US/en-US/Product.mvc.aspx/27862M/65698/Stripeadelic/J102993?dimensions=0) were a little lighter and had vibram soles... then I would be wearing them right now

leaftye
03-30-2012, 17:33
I really want to bring some chacos for a camp shoe, Maine rivers, and wearing around town. I just wish they werent so heavy!

If these (http://www.chacos.com/US/en-US/Product.mvc.aspx/27862M/65698/Stripeadelic/J102993?dimensions=0) were a little lighter and had vibram soles... then I would be wearing them right now

These weigh a lot less and have vibram soles.

http://www.invisibleshoe.com/

Spokes
03-30-2012, 17:48
........ Croc's

q-tip
03-30-2012, 21:47
I bought a pair of mesh pool deck shoes-2.5 oz. if it gets cold I will just put bread bags on my feet. Saved 6.5 oz. on the Crocs.

rocketsocks
03-31-2012, 17:20
OK,this has been a subject of great debate.If I were hiking extended,I'd bring my sneaks,the reason is they weigh only a little more than my crocs.I take out the insert cause I can switch out the ones from my boots.Folks have done this for a very long time,and it seems it's only become a great weight savings when your thinking is towards light weight packing.for me it's a no-brainer,When your road walking to a town,you'll appreciate the comfort Just my two cents.And because I was curious after posting.My Crocs weigh 8oz.for the pair,sneaks weigh 22oz.w/out the inserts,for a difference of 14oz.but I think I still take me sneaks.

Sandy of PA
03-31-2012, 19:13
My Merrell Pace Gloves weigh 10.4 ozs for the pair. They have mesh tops and dry quick.

Del Q
04-01-2012, 07:30
I have brought Crocs, flip flops and nothing.............happier with less gear, lower weight by just wearing whatever I am hiking in with no socks. Typically hike to near dark so by the time I get water, eat, setup tent, etc I am about ready to get into my sleeping bag and end the day. When I looked at how much time I really used a 2nd pair of shoes they were not worth carrying.

The weight of any extra gear is one issue but more than that I just like taking less and less as I get more into backpacking.

Compared to a few years ago my gear, pack weight, etc is totally different - am much happier now, its more about the hiking and the experiences than the gear I haul. Anything not mandatory now stays home, safe in my gear box.

Papa D
04-01-2012, 07:45
I typically carry a pair of crocs - - my "backpacking crocs" have been carefully lightened a bit by using some scissors and a pocketknife to cut out a little weight. I hike (almost exclusively) in trail shoes (not boots) but after a long day, it really feels wonderful just to wipe my feet down with a little rubbing alcohol (or soak them in a creek) and wander around camp in my crocs. They also serve as a prop for the edge of my groundsheet in a rainstorm and a holder of my glasses and headlamp, and i-pod at night - a bedside table of sorts. Taking care of your feet is paramount to successful long distance hiking and I while I subscribe to lightweight backpacking, I carry crocs on any trek longer than a couple of days.

Ashman
04-01-2012, 08:18
I hammock so I like a pair of camp shoes that are easy to get into when nature calls at night. I looked at some vibrams five fingers, just a touch lighter than crocs but waaaayyy more expensive (that and I already have crocs).

cabbagehead
04-01-2012, 09:27
I have a pair of super thin water shoes. I took out the insoles. They have about the same (maybe less) weight as crocs. They were great in the Mahoosuc Notch.

NowWhat?
04-01-2012, 10:29
Why 2nd pair of shoes at all? After being cooped up in tight quarters all day, my puppies need to "run Free".

Chuppacabra
04-01-2012, 11:02
Thanks for the input guys, I ended up getting the NB Minimus. Got them for 70 bucks cause my buddy works at the store. They're only 3.3 oz and I figure they have the lightness (lighter actually) of crocs yet perhaps a bit more durability/comfort

Tinker
04-01-2012, 17:28
An old pair of road running shoes saved my bacon on my first longish multiday hike when I found out that my custom Limmer boots were not quite broken in yet. The runners allowed me to hike with my blistered heels outside of the shoe while the forefoot was fairly well laced in. When I got to a climb or downhill, I would slip my blistered heels back into the shoe and grit it out until I got to the top (or the bottom). Heavier than crocks? - without a doubt. Better for actual hiking? - most likely. Less funky looking? - Absolutely! :D

nuknees
04-01-2012, 17:52
I have been re-evaluating gear to reduce pack weight and for my camp wear I tried a pr. of dirt cheap run of mill foam flip-flops. Heck they were light as a feather and only a few bucks and pack virtually flat! At camp last year while what was left of hurricane Lewis (I think it was) came through, I slipped funny on the wet rock surface that was the ground around the shelter. My toes kind of curled up and under my foot as my weight went back on it to catch myself. Result was 3 broken toes and when when your wading through the lower half of MA it quite unjoyable. I am going back to my velcro strap Tevas. The safety is worth the added several ounces of a flip-flop. They have tread - comfortable - they let the dogs breath - use for stream x's or easy sections - town wear. Worth it for me cuz I'm not going thru that again!

DavidNH
04-01-2012, 20:51
Along with your hiking boots.. bring Crocs. They work well crossing streams and they are half the weight of Tevas!

Wise Old Owl
04-01-2012, 21:02
I am on the fence - yes great debate - NB are not my favorite But a 6 oz runner and well made with a quality insert should be put to the test... and under $150

Can someone put a vote up and lets get a real feel for what works?

The top long distance hikers I have read would not pick some of these shoes...