PDA

View Full Version : All set to go, but now just don't feel like it....

Toolshed
03-30-2012, 21:35
All set for my annual 100 mile section hike, supposed to leave tomorrow, but I just don't feel like it... Anyone ever get to this spot and just don't feel like going. tired, too much to do... Just curious. How did you get through the haze?

Wise Old Owl
03-30-2012, 21:38
open a can of woooop ass.

left out which section where and when.....

ok
1. Where
2. When
3. Eh Why.
4. What
nevermind.....

q-tip
03-30-2012, 21:39
"80% of life is just showing up"--Woody Allen

chiefiepoo
03-30-2012, 22:04
I just returned from my annual section hike and had similar thoughts before setting out. This year was 120 mi mol from Standing Indian to NFG. Once you're on the trail you remember the reasons you sought to undertake the adventure. Yeah, you're gonna get rained on, burn out on the steep inclines, jam your feet into the toes of your boots on the downhills and you're going to have some basic food and have to crap in the woods. You will however, meet some similarly odd people who enjoy that sort of adventure and they, I find , are the best part of the AT. And I agree with q tip.

Wise Old Owl
03-30-2012, 22:19
I suffer from attention deff too.

HYOH

4eyedbuzzard
03-30-2012, 23:17
Yeah, but you may feel worse a week from now if you don't go, or at minimum no better than you do now. Just go. If by the end of day two you still feel like packin' it in, then go home.

johnnybgood
03-30-2012, 23:33
I've been there too . Ever try using meditation techniques ? I try to relax and remember past hikes that I've taken that were rewarding. Take it easy the first couple days out and just enjoy yourself.

Hike a shorter distance, (split it in half) if you're still not feeling it after a few days.
Prepare to get focused and get back to the trail again later.

Toolumpy
03-30-2012, 23:46
Been there almost every time I start. Thinking "man do i really want to do this?" once I get going it's hard to stop. Gotta get the right mindset.

Dreamer7
03-31-2012, 00:15
You might have regrets if you don't start. My suggestion then, never quit when it's raining, when you're cold, when you are going uphill or downhill, when hungry or when hurting. If you have to quit for awhile, do it on a sunny day when you are not struggling. Happy trails! ~Dreamer~

Bronk
03-31-2012, 01:19
I say just get out there on the trail and have an escape plan if after 2 days you aren't "into it." You'll be surprised once you get out there.

Cookerhiker
03-31-2012, 07:09
..left out which section where and when.....

ok
1. Where
2. When
3. Eh Why.
4. What
nevermind.....

As I recall, Toolshed asked a few months ago about Georgia - I think he's section hiking from Springer.

I just returned from my annual section hike and had similar thoughts before setting out. This year was 120 mi mol from Standing Indian to NFG. Once you're on the trail you remember the reasons you sought to undertake the adventure. Yeah, you're gonna get rained on, burn out on the steep inclines, jam your feet into the toes of your boots on the downhills and you're going to have some basic food and have to crap in the woods. You will however, meet some similarly odd people who enjoy that sort of adventure and they, I find , are the best part of the AT. And I agree with q tip.

Good points - similar to my sentiments before and then during the hike.

My theory is that such immediate-before-the-fact angst is not unhealthy; it's akin to public speaking. All public speakers say it's important to be nervous beforehand so that you're not overconfident and so that you respect your audience. Similar here - the angst is because you respect the trail and what it's like to hike.

chiefiepoo
03-31-2012, 07:35
Still here, or gone?

Spirit Walker
03-31-2012, 12:32
I have never ever been reluctant to start a hike.

DavidNH
03-31-2012, 16:46
If you don't feel like going hiking.. stay home until you DO feel like it!

Slo-go'en
03-31-2012, 16:49
This mostly applies to day or weekend hikes, but it is easy to blow them off 'cuz the weather ain't right, you gotta do laundry or some other menial task. There are million and one excuses.

But every time I decide to go anyway, I'm always glad I did. I've never had to say "man, I wish I stayed home instead".

hikerboy57
03-31-2012, 16:53
always listen to your gut.if something doesnt feel right, then dont go.and ask yourself if you'll feel the same as you do now after 3 days of hiking.
i get the same "funk" almost every time i go out for a run, but once i start, ifeel better that i did it.
but if theres a little voice thats teling you"dont go", its worth a good listen.

tiptoe
03-31-2012, 20:06
Count your blessings. Think of those of us with injuries, family responsibilities, money woes or whatever who can't hike now but want to. I agree with DavidNH -- go when you feel like it, and do something else until you do.

slovakiasteph
04-01-2012, 22:58
I was feeling that way today... had the option to go hike but thought I'd rather stay home and rest. Got onto TJ and started reading AT blogs... within fifteen minutes, I wanted to hike! I'd forgotten that reading about hiking always makes me want to hike. Glad I went, too, as I got 14 miles in today.

rocketsocks
04-02-2012, 06:43
Guess he went

Blåbär
04-02-2012, 07:29
I don't really understand the problem. If you don't feel like going, then don't go. Ask yourself what you would rather be doing, and do that instead. When I want to go on a day hike, I go. When I want to go on an overnight trip, I do that. If I want to stay home and eat popcorn and watch great movies, then I will do that. If you planned a big trip like a section hike or thru hike and the day comes and you don't feel like going, don't go, and then ask yourself why you bothered to plan it if you didn't really want to go in the end. You should not do things just out of habit or because others tell you to. But good luck to the OP writer either way, if they stay or go.

Reminds me of a great song:
http://youtu.be/LZBPu7jJbJU