ChinMusic
03-31-2012, 18:48
Just received my spiffy new hexamid tent
FYI it now comes seam sealed
Sorry, Stick!

Taped or seam-sealed?

STICK
03-31-2012, 23:42
They now come taped. I was talking with Joe the other day (via email) and he told me that because of my videos/blog post he has gotten a lot of request for taped Hexamids...so as of about 2 weeks ago he now tapes them all.

So, your welcome old geezer! :)

FWIW though, Joe also sells the single sided tape and it is very easy to use! I love it. I bought a bunch and taped my Hexamid eventually. I also have a bunch extra and now I carry a small piece in my repair kit. I have a lot of cuben in my pack so it is definitely worth having!

Anyway, congrats on your new tent!

ChinMusic
03-31-2012, 23:52
They now come taped. I was talking with Joe the other day and he told me that because of my videos/blog post he has gotten a lot of request for taped Hexamids...so as of about 2 weeks ago he now tapes them all.

So, your welcome old geezer! :)

Thank you........oh.......you meant the poster "old geezer". Well, thank you anyway.

I have the Hexamid in the back of my mind should I try for the PCT. Not being taped might have made it a no-go.

leaftye
04-01-2012, 00:51
What's old is new again! I have an early Hexamid and it was taped. I'm glad Joe is taping them again.

Odd Man Out
04-01-2012, 13:07
Could someone explain to me the diff between taped and seam-sealed?

TIA

Firefighter503
04-01-2012, 14:50
This is good to hear. I ordered a tent a little while back, and asked Joe to seam seal it before he sent it due to my location. I wonder if this means it will come seam sealed and taped or what.

STICK
04-01-2012, 16:01
Could someone explain to me the diff between taped and seam-sealed?

TIA

I am sure others can explain this better, but this is what I know (or think I know... :) )

Seam sealed means that it is sealed with an almost liquid Silicone, such as SilNet. Some people choose to simply mix Silicone from a tube with mineral spirits and paint this mixture on the seams. The liquid will fill in the tiny pin holes created by the needle when it was sewn.

Taped, is well, taped. In Joe's (ZPacks) case, tape is simply applied over the seams. This isn't just typical Scotch tape though, but some specially made tape that adheres strongly, and should be more resistant to outdoor conditions (rain, sun & dirt) than typical tape found on the shelf at Wal-mart.

Some companies though will not sew at all and instead will use a double sided tape to build the item. From what I have heard, depending on tape used, as well as technique used to apply the tape, a bonded seam can be even stronger than the material surrounding it. Plus it is completely waterproof since no holes were made in the material.

Rif
04-01-2012, 16:22
I just got the poncho/groundsheet from Joe and it seems to be mainly contructed with tape. Only the edge hems and zippers seem to be sewn. The poncho looks like one seemless piece of cuben....front, back, hood, etc.....because of the tape. The tape is nearly impossible to see and looks very secure.