PDA

View Full Version : resupply between rt 2 and rt 4 (LT)

RedBeerd
03-31-2012, 17:22
What are you doing? I am thinking about just carrying enough food until I hit the Inn @ LT where I will pick up a resupply or have my girlfriend meet me with goodies. Thumbing through the LT guide didnt show me too many promising ressupplys between these routes.

nehiker
03-31-2012, 17:52
Some (many) people stop at Manchester Center, 5.5 W on VT 11, supposedly an easy hitch, and stay at Green Mountain House (http://www.greenmountainhouse.net/). I did the LT SOBO last year, so this section came at the end of my hike and I managed to cover it in 5 days (4 nights out), without stopping at Manchester.

mirabela
03-31-2012, 19:07
Manchester is south of Rt. 4, so that doesn't help.

There's nothing real easy in that stretch. A typical hiker can get from Sherburne Pass to Jonesville in six or seven days, but if you want to break it up, the best bet might be to hitch down from Lincoln Gap into Warren or Waitsfield, where there are stores. There's a busy trailhead at Lincoln Gap, and it shouldn't be a hard place to find a ride.

nehiker
03-31-2012, 20:00
Sorry, I thought OP meant MA 2 to US 4. From US 2 to US 4, it is not too bad after Camel's Hump; 6-7 days should be quite doable even at the beginning of a hike.

Deadeye
03-31-2012, 20:14
I stash a bear canister at Lincoln Gap, but if you have to hitch: App Gap (Waitsfield), Lincoln Garp (Lincoln/Bristol), Middlebury Gap (Ripton/E.Middlebury), or Brandon Gap (Brandon) are OK.

stranger
03-31-2012, 21:32
I would suggest hitching into Bristol at mile 151 or Waitsfield at mile 163, the gaps are listed in the previous post...

Sherburne Pass to Jonesville is a long 80 miles...it's not uncommon for that section to take people 6-7 days, but the first 20 miles are fairly easy.

The benefit of going into Waitsfield is you can overnight there if need be, Bristol doesnt have any accomodation from what I remember, also Bristol is not a straight hitch, so you need to know the roads. Waitsfield is a straight 7 mile hitch I believe.

I've made this 80 mile carry before, I wouldn't recommend it, we are going sobo in August and will be going into Waitsfield.

RedBeerd
03-31-2012, 21:34
Good suggestions, I appreciate the help. A resupply seems a bit inconvenient between these routes so I may just carry 7 days of food. I will be ready to pig out and drink way too much beer by the time I reach the inn...but I think if I get a drop at route 2 I will go the dehydrated route so food weight doesnt kill me. Also, if I wanted I could possibly have my mom bring me a drop somewhere in the middle.

mirabela
04-01-2012, 08:51
Not to belabor the point, but whereas Rt. 17 (App Gap) is a fast, paved road, Lincoln Gap is a slower road and also about six times as busy a trailhead. There are constantly people coming and going in the daytime, especially on weekends, so the opportunities to strike up a conversation and ask for a ride are much better there. It's a more productive and probably safer tactic than standing with your thumb out.

Yukon
04-01-2012, 09:32
Manchester is south of Rt. 4, so that doesn't help.

There's nothing real easy in that stretch. A typical hiker can get from Sherburne Pass to Jonesville in six or seven days, but if you want to break it up, the best bet might be to hitch down from Lincoln Gap into Warren or Waitsfield, where there are stores. There's a busy trailhead at Lincoln Gap, and it shouldn't be a hard place to find a ride.

I have heard the hitch at app gap int warren waitsfield is easier, that's what I'm planning on doing on my SOBO this summer...

StubbleJumper
04-01-2012, 15:54
I resupplied at Middlebury, which is a nice little town with pretty much all the amenities (ie, groceries, laundry, restaurants and bars). There's a town bus (I believe it's free, or perhaps costs like $1 each way) that stops at the Middlebury Snowbowl ski-centre, which is right on the trail, but I caught a ride with another hiker which was even easier.

The downside of Middlebury is that it's only about 2 days after the Inn at Long Trail, but at least it breaks up the relatively long stretch.

stranger
04-01-2012, 23:19
Not to belabor the point, but whereas Rt. 17 (App Gap) is a fast, paved road, Lincoln Gap is a slower road and also about six times as busy a trailhead. There are constantly people coming and going in the daytime, especially on weekends, so the opportunities to strike up a conversation and ask for a ride are much better there. It's a more productive and probably safer tactic than standing with your thumb out.

Very good point, I got into Bristol this way on my last hike, just started talking with someone and they were going that way, we were concerned about food, they drove us and and back and wouldn't even accept gas money!

NorthCountryWoods
04-02-2012, 13:29
Carried without resupply on that stretch twice and it is doable. It's also my favorite stretch.

Middlebury is easiest to get to via bus from the trail and is the largest town of the possibilities, but is also the furthest from the trail. Plenty of lodging, restaurants, grocery/gear stores. Bus schedule is limited in summer- http://actr-vt.org/snow-bowl-shuttle-bus-map/

Waitsfield is probably the next best option. Plenty of lodging, restaurants, grocery/gear stores.

Bristol has a grocery, laundry and some restaurants but is more difficult to get to. Not sure about any lodging or gear stores.

Goshen, Lincoln or Warren are possible PO resupply options. Goshen PO is closest to the trail. Lincoln is on the way to Bristol. Warren is a short hitch to Waitsfield which has it all. Lincoln and Warren have general stores, not sure about Goshen.

SOBO will be nice cuz you have the Inn to look forward to. Went NOBO both times and the only thing I had to look forward to was a road walk and the Jonesville PO.

RedBeerd
04-02-2012, 17:47
Carried without resupply on that stretch twice and it is doable. It's also my favorite stretch.

SOBO will be nice cuz you have the Inn to look forward to. Went NOBO both times and the only thing I had to look forward to was a road walk and the Jonesville PO.

Cool. I don't feel too worried about hauling the food now. Maybe I can give up a few luxury items to counteract the extra weight :)
I am pretty excited about the Inn actually. Like you mentioned, its something to look forward to. I assume you stayed there? How was that?

stranger
04-02-2012, 19:16
I've stayed at the Inn about 20 times over the years, it's a really good stop for hikers. They accept UPS (read: not USPS) drops, do laundry, amazing food, entertainment, great pub, good beer, library, fireplace and even a hot-tub, although I think they only run that in winter. A bus goes from the Inn into Rutland for supermarket options, plus a trail goes right to the Inn (the old AT/LT), now called Sherburne Pass Trail I believe. The store at the bottom of the hill has some decent stuff, Deli at Killington Corners????, good coffee, great people.

RedBeerd
04-03-2012, 07:16
I've stayed at the Inn about 20 times over the years, it's a really good stop for hikers. They accept UPS (read: not USPS) drops, do laundry, amazing food, entertainment, great pub, good beer, library, fireplace and even a hot-tub, although I think they only run that in winter. A bus goes from the Inn into Rutland for supermarket options, plus a trail goes right to the Inn (the old AT/LT), now called Sherburne Pass Trail I believe. The store at the bottom of the hill has some decent stuff, Deli at Killington Corners????, good coffee, great people.

Awesome! Sounds like a great time. Hiking Sobo, will I see sherburne pass trail marked on the LT? I would rather hike a trail directly there instead of the 1 mile on road. The end to end guide didnt mention that.

NorthCountryWoods
04-03-2012, 17:27
Not sure if the trail is marked, but imagine it is. My E2Es were prior to the trail moving. The Inn has got great pub food and like most VT eateries....a good selection of local brews.

stranger
04-04-2012, 06:48
Hiking sobo, when you come to the Maine Junction, you are 0.5 mile from the Inn via the signposted Sherburne Pass Trail. The re-route is BS in my view, I will not be hiking the 'official' trail, last time I hiked before the re-route and I will be doing this again, right past the Inn. When leaving the Inn you continue on the SPT up past Pico Camp and re-join the Long Trail.

There is also a grassy camping spot across from the Inn at the trailhead parking lot there.