PDA

View Full Version : Jolt can stove

The Cheat
03-31-2005, 15:05
Would a can stove with only a central opening burner be of any use?

I am thinking of a stove made from these (http://www.thinkgeek.com/caffeine/drinks/7335/). It would be closeable, therefore you could put out the flame and save the alcohol.

Any thoughts from you experienced stove builders?

jlb2012
03-31-2005, 16:29
well not having seen the particular can in person I can't say but wrt the closeability I suspect that like other cans of that type the threads on the neck of the bottle are plastic and it would be questionable as to how long the stove could be used before the threads distort or burn. If the threads are not plastic then you are probably in good shape. With respect to a stove that uses a single central opening - I use a tea candle tin (unmodified) with my beer can pot - it obviously only has a single central opening - sometimes if I get a boil early I'll just blow out the flame and pour the remaining alcohol back into the bottle.

The Cheat
03-31-2005, 16:49
well not having seen the particular can in person I can't say but wrt the closeability I suspect that like other cans of that type the threads on the neck of the bottle are plastic and it would be questionable as to how long the stove could be used before the threads distort or burn. If the threads are not plastic then you are probably in good shape. With respect to a stove that uses a single central opening - I use a tea candle tin (unmodified) with my beer can pot - it obviously only has a single central opening - sometimes if I get a boil early I'll just blow out the flame and pour the remaining alcohol back into the bottle.
Yup, the threads are aluminum. The only plastic is the seal in the removable lid.

Thanks for the information on the tea candle tin.

chris
03-31-2005, 18:49
On long distance hikes, I use the bottom two inches or so of a beer can as my stove. Better yet, use the bottom few inches of a V8 can or other small diameter can. It keeps the flame centered better and, although slower than a beer can, it seems much more efficient. No need to make a fancy stove, unless you like the building aspect of it or enjoy the challenge of designing a nearly optimal stove. The V8 can will boil a pint in about 8 minutes and keep on boils for about 16-18 minutes on about 2 Tbs of denatured. In the field, times are worse, as expected.