PDA

View Full Version : Make insoles into flipflops?

MissMagnolia
04-01-2012, 12:45
Can anybody help me find the instructions for how this is done? I remember reading once that there had been such a thread/discussion, but I haven't found it yet in my search attempts.

Thank you!

18 days till I'm at Springer.....

TroutknuT
04-01-2012, 14:16
Google invisible feet... I contact glued 2 inserts together with thin plastic at the three holes for strength and to prevent tears.

leaftye
04-01-2012, 14:17
I've sort of done this, but I made my flip flops out of a CCF pad. I already had leftover foam from a pad I cut up, and I have plenty of cord and hot glue, and the fabric came from a camping chair that was being discarded, so these were essentially free. It doubles as super cushy insoles, and I can put it under my pad for more cushion and warmth while I sleep. Here's how I did it.

1. Trace insoles onto pad
2. Cut flip flop out with a razor blade
3. Put feet on the flip flops and mark a hole between your big toe and the next toe
4. Use hot glue to bond reinforcement fabric at the edges of the arch and the bottom of the toe hole
5. Use a narrow hot nail to make holes near the edge of the arches and in the toe hole
6. Take a single cord, fold it in half and push it through the toe hole from the top, tie a knot on the other side to prevent it from coming through, and then add hot glue to lock it in place and reduce wear on the cord
7. Take the other ends of the cord and put each end through a hole in the arches. I loop them around and then use a hitch knot to make the straps adjustable.

I've used these for a month while backpacking, and even though they feel very fragile, they've held up.

One note: Using shock cord instead of cord might work better.

Wise Old Owl
04-01-2012, 15:18
I posted a thread on ccf - only in trial and they did not hold up... Miss Magnolia is referring to the thread where someone makes small slots on the insoles and uses an REI velcro strap to strap to the feet. Never tried it but it does have merit.

http://www.rei.com/product/794899/rei-sport-wrap-package-of-2

Slo-go'en
04-01-2012, 16:43
I just don't see the utility in doing this. They provide very little, if any, protection - provided you can actually keep them on your feet - and likely aren't going to last very long.

mudhead
04-02-2012, 07:35
Several years back a gal had a website selling long haul gear. Had tips and pointers with instructions like the insole with twine thru the holes to make them "thongs." It was the first place I read of using a clean/storage peanut butter jar for a coffee cup. I want to say her name was Brandy, but I am guessing.

Maybe that will jog someone's memory for you.

moytoy
04-02-2012, 08:28
Several years back a gal had a website selling long haul gear. Had tips and pointers with instructions like the insole with twine thru the holes to make them "thongs." It was the first place I read of using a clean/storage peanut butter jar for a coffee cup. I want to say her name was Brandy, but I am guessing.

Maybe that will jog someone's memory for you.
Are you speaking of Brawny at trailquest.net?

moytoy
04-02-2012, 08:31
http://www.trailquest.net/sandals.html

rocketsocks
04-02-2012, 08:45
http://www.trailquest.net/sandals.html

Shweet.........

Hawkwind61
04-02-2012, 08:54
Carol "Brawny" Wellman. She and Rainmaker both still have Websites. Do a search for:
Brawny View
Trail Quest or
The Femaie Survivalist
I am posting from my phone my apologies that I cannot post the links at this time.

Hawkwind61
04-02-2012, 08:56
Oops! Sorry! Darn phone wasn't showing the rest of the posts!

mudhead
04-02-2012, 12:15
That's it. Brandy. Listen to me...

Senility is never pretty.

MissMagnolia
04-02-2012, 12:50
Thanks everybody! I appreciate the responses. I'll go check those links out, but I might not have the time or motivation to actually do it. I was curious, though...

Miami Joe
04-02-2012, 14:44
You realize you can buy flops for a $1, right?