PDA

View Full Version : Hi from Franklin

Storm
04-01-2012, 14:04
Hi to all. Taking a zero at the Saphire Inn at Franklin. Trip has been amazing so far. No problems and great trail. Ron Haven and his staff have been super both here and at Hiawassee. Would reccomend his places highly. Met Red Hat today. She was heading home. What a super nice lady. Back at it again tomorrow morning. My best to everyone.

Firefighter503
04-01-2012, 14:15
Congrats on making it that far. Now just do the same thing again from there to Maine!

Tinker
04-01-2012, 17:16
Glad you're doing well. Age can work against folks like us, but it's obvious that you're in good shape. Have a great hike!

Big Dawg
04-01-2012, 17:36
Congrats!! Enjoy!! :sun

Ron Haven
04-02-2012, 00:28
Hi to all. Taking a zero at the Saphire Inn at Franklin. Trip has been amazing so far. No problems and great trail. Ron Haven and his staff have been super both here and at Hiawassee. Would reccomend his places highly. Met Red Hat today. She was heading home. What a super nice lady. Back at it again tomorrow morning. My best to everyone.Thanks Storm, Glad you had a great time in Franklin

double d
04-02-2012, 07:46
Congrats Storm, keep enjoying your hike!

Storm
04-11-2012, 09:43
Taking a little break in the Gatlinburg area. GSNP has been fun. Don't care much for sleeping in shelters, will try to tent as much as possible. Have kept my food in my tent so far with no problems. Thanks for the advice Lone Wolf, you da man.

T-Rx
04-11-2012, 09:55
Hope you have a great hike! You are an inspiration to those of us "seniors" who must wait for retirement to thru hike.

Odd Man Out
04-11-2012, 11:22
Hope you have a great hike! You are an inspiration to those of us "seniors" who must wait for retirement to thru hike.

+1 me too - a future senior hiker (I'm still young enough to be offended when I get mail from AARP).
My goal is to be healthy long enough to set the record for the oldest thru hiker (not that I know what that record is).

George
04-17-2012, 00:15
tough one to beat it is around 85, model T was going to try for it , did not hear if it happened

Storm
04-21-2012, 11:32
Had back problems out of Hot Springs. Herniated disc that has been a problem before. Back in Ohio to try to see my Orthopedic doctor. Will update when I get some news. Loved the trail, loved the people, hope this isn't a hike buster but doesn't look good right now.

Storm
04-23-2012, 11:41
Can't get in to see doctor until May 25. Did find out that epidural injections I got last year do wear off. Must be what has happened. Might have to do a flip flop or become a section hiker. Not opposed to either.

MyName1sMud
04-23-2012, 11:58
good luck with the back!

Storm
05-25-2012, 12:54
Just got home from seeing my doctor. My hike is definately over for this year and it looks like any long distant hiking may be a thing of the past. The stress of carrying a pack up and down hills on uneven terrain is just more than my back could handle. I am going to get another set of epidural shots as soon as he can get me in, probably at least two weeks. Then he reccommended that I do no hiking for at least two months. Short walks around home are permissable, if not they might as well shoot me. After the two month period he said I could start trying to hike again, preferrably near home and see how it goes. Then if all goes well a few days at a time would be okay but suggested even a week at a time might be too much stress on my back.

So my choices are to follow doctors orders, get a second opinion, or just say to heck with it and go hike. My bullheadedness makes me want to just go but hiking in pain was not much fun. I have no regrets about giving the trail a try and may still be able to get back a few days here and there but at that rate I would be about 100 before I finish.

I will be enternally gratefull for all the informations and encouragement I received from this site. Hope everyone else has a better outcome than I had.

rocketsocks
05-26-2012, 21:01
Just got home from seeing my doctor. My hike is definitely over for this year and it looks like any long distant hiking may be a thing of the past. The stress of carrying a pack up and down hills on uneven terrain is just more than my back could handle. I am going to get another set of epidural shots as soon as he can get me in, probably at least two weeks. Then he recommended that I do no hiking for at least two months. Short walks around home are permissible, if not they might as well shoot me. After the two month period he said I could start trying to hike again, preferably near home and see how it goes. Then if all goes well a few days at a time would be Kay but suggested even a week at a time might be too much stress on my back.

So my choices are to follow doctors orders, get a second opinion, or just say to heck with it and go hike. My bullheadedness makes me want to just go but hiking in pain was not much fun. I have no regrets about giving the trail a try and may still be able to get back a few days here and there but at that rate I would be about 100 before I finish.

I will be internally gratefully for all the informations and encouragement I received from this site. Hope everyone else has a better outcome than I had.Sorry to hear that Storm,but hey,all is not lost,being a hiker,day,weekend warrior(like myself),section,or some other name,still affords you many options and opportunities,it may just be you can't carry a heavy pack,so slack packin may be an option,or just walking each day and then bailing off trail to then start again in the morning..The good thing is that no one has said yet that "you'll never walk again"so in my way of thinking the glass is half full,though I'm sure it is disappointing for you.Cheers and hope you get back to the trail soon,and able to HYOH.:sun

Storm
11-08-2012, 20:27
Wow, here it is November already, where has the summer gone.
Congratulations to those 2012 ers who finished the trail.
I ended up getting two more sets of epidural injections. They helped for awhile but never seemed to work as well as the first time I got the shots. Been doing some short walks around home but have skipped carrying my pack most of the time. Was hoping to get back to Pa. this fall for a few days but those plans have gone by the wayside also. My choices are getting slimmer all the time. I've decided to bite the bullet and get surgery on my back. I have done a lot of research and have heard the pros and cons and lots of scary stuff. Bottom line for me is that whatever it takes to get back to a more normal lifestyle (normal for me) I will do. I realize I will still have some limitations because of my age but feel if I get the herniated discs and the stenosis repaired I will have a much better shot at resuming the activities I love.
Not looking for approval or sympathy. Just keeping a bunch of folks I respect in the loop. Will update here again when I find out if things work out or not. Keep your treking poles crossed for me. (don't try walking like that though)

Storm
11-30-2012, 12:33
Just got back from talking to the surgeon. He had me get new xrays and another MRI. My herniated disc has pretty much healed itself and doesn't require surgery. That was really good to hear. Bad news was that I now have a bone spur pressing against the nerve and it is what's causing the pain and making my right leg go numb. He says he can remove the spur in a 45 minute operation and I can be out of the hospital the next day and pretty much back to normal in 6 to 8 weeks tops. Well it was a no brainer for me. I have the surgery scheduled for January 3rd. Might be a happy new year after all.

Hoop
11-30-2012, 17:58
Sounds promising - best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Old Boots
11-30-2012, 20:57
Enjoy a steak at the Roadhouse and breakfast at Hardee's right across the street. Had a great meal at the Mexican place just up the street.

T-Rx
11-30-2012, 22:26
Best of luck Storm. Hope you are back on your feet at full speed soon.

Storm
01-10-2013, 19:14
January in Ohio, don't you just love it.
Okay, got my back operated on a week ago. Everything went well and the doctor is expecting 100% recovery. Had a lot of pain a couple days after the surgery but now most of the pain is gone. Haven't had to take any pain meds for the last two days. I am restricted from driving for two weeks and have a 10 pound lifting restriction for 30 days. Doctor said I could go out and walk as soon as I felt up to it. Well cabin fever sucks so I am going to have the wife drive me to a local trail tomorrow so I can go for a short walk. Anything is better than being cooped up indoors. Will have to take it easy, especially since I've put on 30 pounds this past year. Hopefully I can get moving again and get the weight back off. I am really anxious to get going again, wish it were back in the mountains somewhere but I guess I need to crawl before I can run.