PDA

View Full Version : Palmerton PA - looking for current info re: Jail House Hostel

GR82Hike
04-01-2012, 21:34
I can't find any recent posts about the current status of the Jail House Hostel in Palmerton PA. Seems like back in 2009 there were several postings, something to the affect that visitors staying at the Jail House Hostel were mistreating the place, and that it was getting pretty seedy. Is this the case now-a-days? Is it safe?

rickworr
04-24-2012, 22:48
I was there in 2010 with several other people and it was quite fine. In fact, we pulled into town a bit late and signed in with the police dept and they let us in without any problems. They were pretty strict about the one night stay rule and there is a 10'o'clock curfew, I believe. I was waiting for my pick up out and they were cool about me staying there until 4PM, but that I could not stay beyond that, so I waited in the park down the street. Great little town to stop over.

Trail Bug
04-25-2012, 08:46
Didn't stay there, but was in PA two weeks ago and it was open. Fellow hikers said to check in with the local police department.

Lauriep
05-02-2012, 20:08
The Palmerton Hostel is open - my husband and I stayed there last Friday night on our section-hike from Port Clinton to Delaware Water Gap.

A note to those walking into town: There is no longer signage or blue blazes leading into Palmerton; the blazes only mark the Winter Trail up the mountain. There are some details that are helpful to know.

I cannot verify that the following information is still officially sanctioned, as the route crosses private property, but the latest official 2009 A.T. Guidebook to Pennsylvania published by Keystone Trails Association (p. 90) is accurate in terms of describing the route:

"In order to walk to Palmerton, from the southern junction of the A.T. and the Winter Trail, follow the blue-blazed Winter Trail. Where the Winter Trail turns right uphill, continue straight ahead on the railroad bed and eventually descend in about 0.5 mi. to a fenced in parking lot with a private gated bridge crossing Aquashicola Creek at opposite end of the parking lot. The fence gate is locked after 4:30 PM. If you are granted permission to cross the bridge, cross and resume walk on other side on paved Red Hill Drive into Palmerton. If access to private bridge is not possible, backtrack through the parking lot, climb over guardrail onto Pa. Rt. 248. Please use extreme care along road and cross highway bridge on should of road, then cross over guardrail again to Red Hill Drive and follow it into Palmerton. It is recommended that you plan to get through the fence gate prior to 4:30 PM."

In summary, nobos just follow the blue blazes trail west and keep going straight when the blue blazes go uphill. Just keep following the road, go through the gate if it's open; if not, scramble up to the highway bridge to cross the creek and return to the road, which is public on the other side of the creek. The road will lead you into town.

I think the gate is only open weekdays.

AWOL's 2012 A.T. Guide's info about the access is no longer accurate, and the 2012 A.T. Companion doesn't tell you what to do if the gate is locked. A northbounder who was at the hostel with us and was carrying the A.T. Guide overlooked the word "level" and actually hiked the Winter Trail up to the top of the mountain out of Lehigh Gap before realizing his mistake--after a 20+ mile day. Ouch. He was pretty calm about it, though. Anyone who can handle that kind of mistake with aplomb will go far in life.

The locals were very friendly. One guy gave three of us a ride from the edge of town to the police borough (a former policeman who used to work there). Roger Danielson, who oversees the hostel, was very helpful. The food at Bert's Steakhouse across the street from the hostel was awesome--especially their breakfast, which you wouldn't expect from the name of the restaurant. Another guy, Duane, gave four of us a ride back to the Trail. His phone number was posted in the hostel.

There's a fairly large grocery store in town only a few blocks away. Sadly, the IGA that used to give hikers free apples is out of business. There's also a hiker-friendly laundromat right across from the hostel and a couple of churches with beautiful Slavic-looking cupolas (both times passed by in a vehicle so I didn't get to see what kind of churches). A good town stop.

Laurie P.