PDA

View Full Version : Looking for tips and advice on the Georgia AT

jalbright79
04-01-2012, 23:27
Me and a buddy of mine are planning our first trip to the AT September of next year. We are planning on hiking all of the Georgia section, and gradually making our way up to Maine in the next few years. We have gone a couple small backpacking adventures but nothing like the AT. We are looking for any tips advise anyone can give us about the Georgia section. We would love to hear about your experiences, what time of the year did you trekked it, what was the weather like, how many miles did you hike each day or anything else you would like to share.

One thing we are kinda concerned about is starting the hike in September opposed to April when most are starting it.

moytoy
04-02-2012, 04:57
Georgia is 87 +- miles if you include the approach trail. You can easily do it in 7 days or take 10 to stretch it out. Early September can still be pretty hot, the later in the month the better. I usually go in October and get some cooler weather. It's a great place to hike! Enjoy!

flemdawg1
04-02-2012, 14:19
Me and a buddy of mine are planning our first trip to the AT September of next year. We are planning on hiking all of the Georgia section, and gradually making our way up to Maine in the next few years. We have gone a couple small backpacking adventures but nothing like the AT. We are looking for any tips advise anyone can give us about the Georgia section. We would love to hear about your experiences, what time of the year did you trekked it, what was the weather like, how many miles did you hike each day or anything else you would like to share.

One thing we are kinda concerned about is starting the hike in September opposed to April when most are starting it.

I did the GA section last April. Although I made alot of friends on the hike, I think I would've enjoyed it more September without the crowds.

ChinMusic
04-02-2012, 14:33

Concerned? about what?

The weather could still be hot but it's hot right now too. You won't see as many people as April but there will still be hikers about.

Bear-bait
04-02-2012, 18:33
I just finished this section, and I have to say, that it may be some of the finest trail that I have had the pleasure to hike. Its very well maintained, interesting, moderately challenging and well engineered. The treadpath is very nice on your feet (few rocks). Having just completed this section in the spring, when water is flowing well, the only comment that I would have is check with the Forest Service about spring/creek conditions. I'm from the Northeast and everything dries up in the summer (everything starts flowing up here in again October when the fall rains arrive).

The only other comment that I have is that you need to learn the PCT method of Bear Bag hanging, so that you don't get your food stolen near Neels Gap. Several people have had their food stolen by Bears in the area. However, based on what I have heard, none of the people who have had their food stolen have used the PCT method to hang their food.

allen3150
04-02-2012, 21:42
September is a great time. Biggest concern will be water sources if we have another dry Summer.

trucker2015
04-02-2012, 21:56
Late Sep. into Oct. in GA is some of the best hiking anywhere but water can be a issue in dry years

Northern Lights
04-02-2012, 23:11
I hiked Ga in September 2011, it was hot, but anything outside the arctic circle is hot for me. Most nights I was not in my bag I just threw it over me when it got cooler in the night. Only one night was really cold. Ga is a bitch! Up down, up down, up down. I was glad to hit the state line. Water was a little low, but I didn't run short anywhere. Close but never totally out. I hiked anywhere from 7-15 miles per day most days were 10-12. I met some fantastic section hikers and some SOBOs. I haven't hiked in peak season, but I prefer the solitude to crowds. I head out in 24 days to do my next section so I'm sure it will be a little more crowded this time of year.