PDA

View Full Version : New trail-runner convert, my feet hurt

Zim
04-02-2012, 11:46
Just 2 weeks before my 500 mile section hike, I called an audible and switched out my Ahnu Elkridge Mid boots for a pair of barely worn La Sportiva Wildcats from the REI used gear sale. I've been hiking steadily for the last 4 months in preparation for my trip and had no problem with my boots, but I managed to keep my pack weight down under 30 and figured I should give the trailrunners a try. The verdict:

On a moderate 16 mile day on varying terrain and little elevation, the shoes fit perfectly, provided fantastic traction (better than the boots) and my legs felt lighter and fresher than with the boots. Also, no knee pain, which usually crops up on the end of a long day. However, my feet were in a good deal of pain when I finished, more than I ever experienced in my boots. They were fine the day afterward, maybe just a little sore. Nothing I can't handle, but I want to make sure before I hit the trail that this is not abnormal and that I am not risking any damage to my feet. Besides that, I think I am drinking the trailrunner cool-aid.

ScottP
04-02-2012, 11:56
it takes a while for the body to adapt to new things. Careful not to overdo it and hurt yourself.

daddytwosticks
04-02-2012, 13:24
I won't use the term pain, but if I carry a heavy load and do lots of miles, at the end of the day, my dogs are barking. They are usually fine the next day. :)

flemdawg1
04-02-2012, 14:12
16 miles is a good chunk of mileage, my feet would hurt too.

hikerboy57
04-02-2012, 14:14
you may need a stiiffer insole, as mot trail runners lasts are not as sturdy as most boots.

Zim
04-02-2012, 14:17

Hah, fair point! My concern was just that I noticed my feet hurt more with the runners than boots and I wanted to know if this was normal.

Zim
04-02-2012, 14:17
you may need a stiiffer insole, as mot trail runners lasts are not as sturdy as most boots.

Thanks, I'll look into doing that.

ChinMusic
04-02-2012, 14:28

That IS a heck of a day for a test. I'd call it a success.

16 miles, out of the box, is expecting a lot.

Blåbär
04-02-2012, 14:32
I used big, heavy, leather boots for years and years--yikes, almost a decade come to think of it...sheesh getting old. Anyhow, in 3 season I switched to trail runners (keep in mind I only do 1 to 2 night trips, however), and so much better over all if you ask me. I even bought a pair of Merrell barefoot UL trail sneakers last week, and after a few day hikes, I love them. The only time I would put my big army boots back on for a hike is either winter backpacking or for hardcore off-trail stuff, which I don't do much of (leave that to my hubby).

garlic08
04-02-2012, 14:42
To echo the above, yeah, you need some breaking in for your poor feet. They're getting worked out where they haven't before. And try the stiffer inserts like Superfeet--they make them in varying thicknesses for different arch heights. I use the low-volume blue. They last a long time (I get about 2500 miles from a pair), so keep them when the shoes wear out. Not everyone can use them, and they actually hurt some hikers, so be careful.

Sly
04-02-2012, 15:54
The first week on the trail in Georgia I asked a more experienced hiker how long it would take for my feet to stop hurting. His answer, how long will it take to hike to Maine.

You can try boots, shoes, sneakers, with soft insoles, stiff insoles and a combination of but for many barking dogs come with the turf

fredmugs
04-03-2012, 10:10
Check out Shockblockers. No arch support and no heel cup if you need those things but they are like pillows for your feet.

Datto
04-03-2012, 14:20
I'd look at Spenco inserts first and see if those will help. Make sure you pull out the existing insoles first before inserting the Spenco insoles (don't put the Spenco insoles on top of the existing insoles).

Datto

Barbarosa
04-05-2012, 22:04
I have some Wildcats.The green superfeet inserts make them the perfect shoe for me.