PDA

View Full Version : Maine in May?

SouthMark
04-02-2012, 13:14
I have hiked Maine in June and in August. Bugs were never a problem. The trail was not muddy and the fords were ok. I am going to hike SOBO from Monson beginning May 20. Based upon the mild winter and early spring, what might I expect in the way of trail conditions and the fords between Monson and Startton?

DavidNH
04-02-2012, 14:13
expect the trail to be muddy and very buggy. You are going peak bug season! Yeah there's probably been way less snow and rain than normal, but I'm sure they've still had snow up there. Perhaps Weary (who I believe lives in Maine) can add to this.

DavidNH

Monkeywrench
04-02-2012, 16:37
The conventional wisdom in Maine is that you stay out of the woods between Mother's Day and Father's Day.

TJ aka Teej
04-02-2012, 21:10
Nice time to be in the Maine woods. The forest is just waking up, trillium and lady slippers, colorful warblers everywhere, warm days and cool nights. Fords will be high, and unpredictable, but won't be fed by late snowmelt. The first fords south of Monson will give you a clue. Maintainers are just heading out, there will be blowdowns. Check the Kennebec Ferry schedule, it's probably still mornings only. Bugs, well, you never know. The 40+ different species of blackflies breed sequentially throughout the spring and summer. You can walk through a hatching in ten minutes, or three hours. Eat on breezy ridges, bring DEET, wear a headnet when needed, sleep in a tent. If you sleep in lean-tos, your tent body makes a nice bug bivy.
Have fun!

T.S.Kobzol
04-02-2012, 21:19
if the bugs get really bad you can hike fast with your mouth wide open. This way you can bring less food - MUL (mega ultra lite)