PDA

View Full Version : Packing salt

chiefiepoo
04-02-2012, 16:41
wondering what others do to carry plain old salt on the trail. McDonalds packets cake up, film cans are a no - no due to chemical residue (supposedly), small baggies collect moisture. What are people doing?

mgeiger
04-02-2012, 17:08
A little rice in your small ziplock perhaps?

gpburdelljr
04-02-2012, 17:27
GSI salt and pepper shaker - 1 ounce
http://www.rei.com/product/784122/gsi-outdoors-salt-and-pepper-shaker

trippclark
04-02-2012, 17:28
I have never carried salt, at least not as a separate item. Meals are packaged up at home, prior to the hike, and salt and other spices are added then.

grayfox
04-02-2012, 17:35
I find that I don't use very much salt on the trail. Most foods are plenty salty already. Even my mixes of dried veggies are usually made with a flavor base that has salt in it. If you just put regular salt in a small pill baggie you will probably have enough and it will be easy to break up if it hardens. MSR makes a small tube shaped spice shaker that works very well and holds quite a bit--you can put in a few grains of regular rice to absorb moisture and make it easy to shake out.

I sometimes carry a small nalgene of about one ounce capacity if I want to do some fishing or gather other foods that do well if they are soaked in salt water--mushrooms come to mind. Salt can also be considered a medicine and warrants a place in the medical kit.

I sometimes carry rock salt--for canning not the driveway--in a small pill bottle. It doesn't get stuck together and on hot sweaty days a small granual will stay in my mouth until I feel like I've had enough salt and I can spit out the unneeded portion. You can do the same with those small packs from McDs but be carefull not to let salt get loose in your pocket and stay next to your skin for long.

kayak karl
04-02-2012, 17:36
GSI salt and pepper shaker - 1 ounce
http://www.rei.com/product/784122/gsi-outdoors-salt-and-pepper-shaker

i second that. (there is a video if you need instructions LOL)

kayak karl
04-02-2012, 17:41
i put garlic salt and lemon pepper in it on short trips. on the trail most hostels will let you fill up reg. S&P, just do a chore for it :)

WingedMonkey
04-02-2012, 18:37
I mix kosher salt and course ground black pepper together in a baby Nalgene. Although most foods are OK without, some things like boiled eggs gotta have it.

Wise Old Owl
04-02-2012, 20:44
There is little need for salt shakers today - most food has liberal amounts. - dry rice grains is the preferred method of keeping salt dry.

Rain Man
04-02-2012, 20:57
wondering what others do to carry plain old salt on the trail. McDonalds packets cake up....

I don't have that problem. Just throw a few fresh packets in a snack size zip-lock and I'm good to go. About the only thing I might use salt or pepper on is eggs.

Rain Man

Spokes
04-02-2012, 22:20
Salt? I get my monthly allowance from eating just 1 Mountain House meal.

rocketsocks
04-02-2012, 22:55
Use the salt that builds up in the bottom of your pretzel bag,if you don't carry pretzels.....start.

mefishn
04-03-2012, 12:19
You can also use Lite Salt as it has Potassium in addition to the sodium. Good to add to water for sweaty days.

Owlbear
04-03-2012, 13:27
Haven't had a chance to try making these for myself, but this craft looks very promising as an ultralight spice kit using simple drinking straws.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Lightweight-Backpacking-Spice-Kit/

mrcoffeect
04-04-2012, 04:27
Use the salt that builds up in the bottom of your pretzel bag,if you don't carry pretzels.....start.
I always carry some to snack on, I think its quite possible to live on nothing but pretzels and coffee.

rocketsocks
04-04-2012, 05:20
Try some of those Lance peanut butter cheese crackers(the orange ones)with coffee,pretty good!Any thing salty with coffee is tasty,come to think of it.

atraildreamer
04-05-2012, 12:29
I mix kosher salt and course ground black pepper together in a baby Nalgene. Although most foods are OK without, some things like boiled eggs gotta have it.

One part pepper to eleven parts salt is the ratio we used working at a fast food place for seasoning the food.

Giantsbane
04-06-2012, 21:26
Empty Vitamin I bottles. Cheap and comes with a child proof lid.

Slo-go'en
04-06-2012, 23:03
I carry my salt on Fritos :) Never leave town with out a bag when its hot out.

JAK
04-07-2012, 15:05
I wish someone would make small ziplocks where the zip goes across the short side instead of the long side.

rocketsocks
04-07-2012, 15:26
I wish someone would make small ziploc where the zip goes across the short side instead of the long side.Brillant!..............

Slo-go'en
04-07-2012, 15:39
I wish someone would make small ziplocks where the zip goes across the short side instead of the long side.

They do, you just won't find them in the grocery store, but you might in a hardware store as they are commonly used for small parts.

rocketsocks
04-07-2012, 15:51
They do, you just won't find them in the grocery store, but you might in a hardware store as they are commonly used for small parts.Ah...yes I have seen them holding jewelry I think too,maybe a dept. store would let a few go,If you bought the wife a present for Mothers Day.:)

JAK
04-07-2012, 17:58
Good thinking. Next time I'm dragged through those stores I'll have something to look for. :-)

Farr Away
04-09-2012, 12:43
Good thinking. Next time I'm dragged through those stores I'll have something to look for. :-)

Try looking with the jewelry findings in the crafts department.

Tramp
04-09-2012, 20:51
walmart has them in the sewing section,pack of 100 for about 3 bucks