PDA

View Full Version : Side sleeper

hawkeye
03-31-2005, 17:24
I am looking at hammocks. How do you (hammock owners) sleep on your side? Is it comfy or better if your a back sleeper? Also will a therma-rest pad work with a hammock? I am doing the Long trail in Sept. so I think finding trees to rope to should not be a problem.

WhiteMtns
03-31-2005, 17:50
I am looking at hammocks. How do you (hammock owners) sleep on your side? Is it comfy or better if your a back sleeper? Also will a therma-rest pad work with a hammock? I am doing the Long trail in Sept. so I think finding trees to rope to should not be a problem.

I've been hanging an older (non-Asym) Hennessy for a few years, and it is the only way to sleep on your side.

The asym is probably a little easier if you like to sleep stretched out straight...on my side I always have my knees bent a little in a half-fetal position.

After sleeping this way in the Hennessy...I've never slept on the ground again.

I am working up a homemade hammock, and hope to have the same success.

I've never tried sleeping on my side in a Speer or other type of cocoon hammock...I think the Hennessy's side tie outs make it too good...

Mountain Hippie
03-31-2005, 18:14
I have no problems sleeping on my side in either of my Hennessy asym and non-asym models. Whitemtns is correct, you can stretch out a little more in the asym as opposed to the non.
I have found the thermarest(TR) to be a bit of a nuisance to use in the Hennessy and I have chosen to use a standard closed cell foam pad. The CCFP gives you more coverage than the TR so you are less likely to find yourself against the bare material of the hammock. In side/top entry hammocks it is easier to deploy the TR although the width may still be an issue.
My next purchase will be an under quilt. You may wish to consider this option as well. You can find a wealth of info about under quilts on this site. :)

Waucheesi
03-31-2005, 22:36
Thanks hawkeye for asking that question. I am a new user who joined for the express purpose of learning more about hammock usage. I am currently using a tent, but am torn between going to either a tarp or a hammock. Being a side sleeper, I had concerns about the hammock. I look forward to more replies to this question.

Crash
04-01-2005, 00:44
I side sleep with no problems. The fetal position (bent knees) helps.
I can even sleep on my stomach (with no pillow) in my hammock.

Just Jeff
04-01-2005, 08:46
I sleep in a Hennessey and a homemade Speer-type. I find the Speer a little easier to get comfy on my side (and a bit comfier all around).

However, I also find that after 2-3 nights in a row I end up side-sleeping less often. The hammock supports your whole body so well that I just get used to sleeping kinda halfway onto my side.

I can even get on my stomach in the Speer...never got comfy that way in the HH, but I have the UL Backpacker. The longer versions might be better for stomach sleeping.

peter_pan
04-01-2005, 09:25
Occasionally I rest on the side in the AM before I'm awake enough to get up...No problem in my HH Extreme Light Racer, it is as long as the Explorer model.....I do find this a lot more comfortable and warmer on the protruding knees back etc when using the Nest under quilt (sides as well bottom are insulated) than in the old days of pads...once you start shifting around positioning on pads becomes more of an issue....But then I'm biased.

Pan

Waucheesi
04-04-2005, 22:23
Well, I went ahead and took the plunge - ordered the HH ultralight. I hope to have it by the weekend. I'll report back as to how comfortable it is for a side sleeper (for me at least). Thanks for all your help. Great information here.