PDA

View Full Version : Water between dicks creek gap and fontana

mcaiken
04-02-2012, 19:25
Am doing a section hike in a couple of weeks from dicks creek gap to fontana damn . Was wondering how the water is as its been pretty dry this year.
Mike:confused:

Ron Haven
04-02-2012, 21:02
Am doing a section hike in a couple of weeks from dicks creek gap to fontana damn . Was wondering how the water is as its been pretty dry this year.
Mike:confused:mcaiken, all the reports I hear are good...

Whack-a-mole
04-03-2012, 09:56
We did from Dicks Creek to Winding Stair Gap last Oct. The only problem we had was at "Big Spring Shelter". No water at all from that spring! It was ok because there was plenty of water everywhere else. We renamed the shelter "No Spring Shelter". That is a very pretty section.

Mike2012
04-10-2012, 13:41
Maybe around Telico Gap was a little dry but I have done that whole section in the past month. If you bring a trail guide with the water sources listed you can tank up as little or as much as you need. I have a two liter platypus and two one liter platypusses and fill them all each night. If it's cool out I might get down to a liter or two during the hike and chug the rest of the treated water before I fill and treat again. It's a great section and I wish you good weather and happy feet.

deeddawg
04-20-2012, 18:15
Just did Wayah Bald to Fontana Dam and there's plenty of water in that section. No reason to think it would be different in the Dicks Creek Gap to Wayah Bald section. I did Blue Ridge Gap to Wayah Bald in late August and while you had to pay attention, the water situation wasn't impossible. Should be much better now.