PDA

View Full Version : No Food Mail Drops

J-M
04-03-2012, 10:58
I just decided to hike the southern portion of the AT starting April 13 and ending May 15, hoping to reach Damascus, VA. Unfortunately I will not be able to prep much, insofar as to say that I will have to buy my gear when I drive through Atlanta.

What I really wanted to know is if it is possible to hike for a month without a single food mail drop? As I simply don't have the time to lay a bunch of mail drops out, and am not sure what pace I will be hiking at. Since it is just a month hike I wanted it to be more free form.

flemdawg1
04-03-2012, 11:15
Not a problem, plenty of places to buy food near the trail.

Lone Wolf
04-03-2012, 20:10
I just decided to hike the southern portion of the AT starting April 13 and ending May 15, hoping to reach Damascus, VA. Unfortunately I will not be able to prep much, insofar as to say that I will have to buy my gear when I drive through Atlanta.

What I really wanted to know is if it is possible to hike for a month without a single food mail drop? As I simply don't have the time to lay a bunch of mail drops out, and am not sure what pace I will be hiking at. Since it is just a month hike I wanted it to be more free form.
yes. no food drops necessary. even in fontana where 99.9% of folks say you need a drop. i've walked springer to damascus 12 times. never had a food drop

garlic08
04-03-2012, 23:33
No mail drops is not only possible, it's cheap, flexible, and fun not knowing what will be in your food bag when you leave town.