PDA

View Full Version : Gregory Savant 58...opinions?

Beuhler
04-03-2012, 13:36
I'm looking for a new pack and I thought I had it narrowed down to an Osprey Kestrel, Osprey Atmos, or Gregory Z (all in the 50–65L range). I went to REI and tried each of them on but couldn't decide (partly because the only Kestrel in stock was a 48L). Then the salesman pointed me to the Savant.

I wasn't initially wowed by the Savant's looks. I did like the weight, the integrated rain cover and the panel opening. And it did feel comfortable. More so than the Kestrel (which is the one I really wanted to like most). I wondering if the salesman didn't size me correctly. The first one eyeballed me and said I was a medium. The second did the same and said I was a large. The very young salesman at EMS size me with the Gregory jig and said I was 19"—typical medium.

Anyway, I'm looking for opinions on the Savant (or the Ospreys above—think I've ruled out the Gregory due to pack weight). I'll be carrying about 35 lbs. and a BearVault 500.

I'll begging on vacation next week (no hiking related) and need to purchase the pack before my 20% coupon expires. I'm also using my REI dividend so I need to stick with what's available from REI. Not interested in the granite gear or dueter packs.

tuswm
04-03-2012, 19:38
I have the two osprey atmos 65, brother has rei flash 65, and best friend has gregory 65. I like all of them. if you need the volume but your load is on the light side and you want a lighter pack the rei. If you like your load carried higher then the gregory, if you like your load carried further down the osprey.

all good packs. I own the osprey and would consider it my 3rd pick.

Beuhler
04-03-2012, 23:24
Well, I went to REI again today. Spoke with a very knowledgable salesman and he confirmed that I am indeed a large torso. Tried both the Osprey Kestrel 48 and the Gregory Savant 58 with about 25# in them. Again, the Savant felt a little better but I decided to order the Kestrel 68. I'm having it shipped to REI. And will try it with some weight when I go pick it up. If it is not more comfortable than the Kestrel 48 I'll swap it for the Savant. On paper the Kestrel 68 sounds like the perfect pack for me. I like the layout, the weight, the carrying capacity and load, and all the features (outside hydration pocket, integrated rain cover, etc.).