PDA

View Full Version : Clingmans Dome/area question

bigben
04-03-2012, 15:38
Last year, we got off the AT at Clingmans and onto the Clingmans Dome bypass trail, which we took to the parking lot. Not wanting to miss or skip ANY of the AT for "so we can one day say we hiked ALL the trail purposes", where do we need to get back on at? Does the bypass trail "count?" OR will we need to walk up the paved trail?

ChinMusic
04-03-2012, 15:53
If you don't want to miss any of the AT you will need to retrace that short, paved section. The AT goes right by the observation point.

fredmugs
04-04-2012, 07:22
If you did what I think you did (heading NOBO) then you need to go from the parking lot and take the bypass trail again until you hit the AT and start heading north again. If your goal is to hit all the white blazes you didn't do yourselves any favors taking the bypass trail.

BabySue
04-04-2012, 09:36
Fredmugs is right: If you took the bypass trail away from the AT, then take it back to the AT (as opposed to going up the sidewalk). But this is only if you're taking a strict view of "passing every blaze." But note that even if you take the bypass and then go up the sidewalk, you've added both distance and elevation change to your hike. The only reasons to take the bypass trail would be to use the restroom at the parking lot or if you were meeting a vehicle there.

speedbump
04-04-2012, 12:43
I am not sure how much you will miss, but I missed 0.4 of a section in NH due to Irene and the trail just was not there anymore. So, I think missing a little bit of the trail is OK.

bigben
04-04-2012, 18:05
We took the bypass because we were ending at the parking lot and we had already previously walked the paved path. The bypass trail sucks. Cant we just walk the paved path to the top, backtrack a little bit and start our hike? Adding a mile and 500 ft of up isn't that big of a deal to us. Shuttle is dropping us off in the lot and we're just going to Mt Collins.