PDA

View Full Version : GossGear Trekking poles, few questions and/or anything better?

kidchill
04-03-2012, 18:33
So, I need a pair of UL trekking poles for a SOBO AT thru. Primary needs are UL and adjustable (I refuse to carry fixed length!). I was originally looking at the LT4S (http://gossamergear.com/trekking/trekking/black-straps.html) because they already have straps attached, but then I saw the handle design on the LT4 (http://gossamergear.com/trekking/trekking/lt4-trekking-poles.html) and it appears to be different. I think in terms of the poles themselves they're roughly the same, but I dig the handles on the LT4. So, a few questions. Anyone know of any adjustable poles other than GossGear that are roughly the same weight (~7.2oz total weight)? How necessary are straps? Could I ghetto rig straps somehow if the grip of the LT4 is preferable? And, anyone have either of these poles and can comment on the grip? I'm new to hiking with poles, but changed my tent, so I can now carry poles and still cut my tent weight by ~11oz. Thanks for any info!

rlmcarth
04-03-2012, 20:02
So, I need a pair of UL trekking poles for a SOBO AT thru. Primary needs are UL and adjustable (I refuse to carry fixed length!). I was originally looking at the LT4S (http://gossamergear.com/trekking/trekking/black-straps.html) because they already have straps attached, but then I saw the handle design on the LT4 (http://gossamergear.com/trekking/trekking/lt4-trekking-poles.html) and it appears to be different. I think in terms of the poles themselves they're roughly the same, but I dig the handles on the LT4. So, a few questions. Anyone know of any adjustable poles other than GossGear that are roughly the same weight (~7.2oz total weight)? How necessary are straps? Could I ghetto rig straps somehow if the grip of the LT4 is preferable? And, anyone have either of these poles and can comment on the grip? I'm new to hiking with poles, but changed my tent, so I can now carry poles and still cut my tent weight by ~11oz. Thanks for any info!

I used BDs with flip locks from Katahdin to Stratton last year; never used the straps. I heard many stories of broken and bent poles from the NOBOs, also of twist lock failures.

RodentWhisperer
04-04-2012, 09:24
Check out Ruta Locura: http://www.rutalocura.com/trekking_poles.html

Regarding your questions about the straps, I can only tell about my own experience. I removed the straps from my poles last year, thinking there wouldn't be a problem since my grip is brutish enough :) that the cork handles would never slip away from my powerful hands. I was proven wrong when I had to hike over a narrow foothold @ 12K in the Tetons-- and the temp was about 15 degrees! Cold hands can't maintain grip-- lesson learned. When I got back home, I built in some straps (using scrap webbing).

skinewmexico
04-04-2012, 09:41
I skiied for too long to be able to use a pole without a strap. Using the strap properly gives you all the support of the pole,without really having to grip it at all. And you should just call Grant at Gossamer Gear, and ask him your question.

Aquaman12
04-04-2012, 09:48
+1 on rutalocura. At less than 8 oz per pair, its the lightest poles ive found. And i dont think i could use them without the straps, but thats me.

plurpimpin
04-04-2012, 10:13
I hate pole straps, I take them off my trekking and ski poles. I've gotten away without them for a decade so it's all about preference.

1azarus
04-04-2012, 10:42
how have the rutalocura poles held up for people? i'm afraid i've broken three fixed length STIX Carbon Fiber Trekking Poles that used to be available from backpacking light -- took me about 500 miles, and i'm really careful with my gear. not proud, just sayin... since then i've been using women's titanium ski poles - a bit heavier, but sturdy. if i try carbon fiber again i would still get fixed length poles... i, too, am a skier who can't conceive of hiking without straps. i'm ready for another stupid purchase of equipment i don't really need. so, should i be hopeful about the durability of rutalocura poles?

Aquaman12
04-05-2012, 00:05
I cant comment on the durability yet. Ive used them very lightly. I plan on starting my thru with them, just around the corner on Apr. 9.

Tinker
04-05-2012, 08:29
Regarding the use of straps: About half the people I see on the AT don't use their straps correctly. I learned how to use the straps while cross country skiing a couple of decades ago. I don't have a diagram available, so I'll do my best to explain. First you place your hand on the pole below the strap and slide it up the shaft and through the strap from the bottom. Then you grasp the grip, with the strap between the grip and the palm of your hand. The strap should go over the back of your wrist, rather than the front. The straps should be relatively tight at this point. Readjust them for use with gloves. When you push off with your pole, you should feel pressure on the backof your wrist, not the front. Proper use lets you relax your grip while you push off and facilitates control of the pole on the return swing. I normally only use my thumb and forefinger to control the placement of my poles (and I don't have light weight poles).

You might be able to find diagrams and pictures on a cross-country skiing website.

Use the straps correctly and you will love them.

Use them incorrectly and you will wonder why in the heck they are there in the first place.

:)

RodentWhisperer
04-05-2012, 09:17
Good instructions! :)

QiWiz
04-05-2012, 13:48
I use GG LT2's around my local area when I don't have to collapse them. I use GG LT4's when traveling by plane or bus and/or want to collapse them during travel. I don't usually miss the straps when using my LT2s but the straps on my LT4s are nice when I'm taking lots of pictures and/or have to scramble up or down steep bouldered areas where I have to use my hands - the poles can just dangle by the straps. So my preference for straps or not kind of depends on the type of trail (or not) I'll be on. On last year's AT hike I flew to Atlanta to start and therefore had the LT4's and was glad of the straps, mostly because I took hundreds of pictures.

sbhikes
04-05-2012, 14:23
In our family we have Gossamer Gear LT4S and LT3 poles (non-collapsing). The LT3s have no straps. There isn't any difference in the handles. It's just something with the angle of the photo or something. All they do to put the straps in is counter-sink a little dealie that lets you screw in a nut that holds the strap on. They all come with a tiny little orange loop where you can attach a lanyard. You can use that to prevent dropping your poles off a cliff instead of going with the straps.

Malto
04-05-2012, 16:11
I have the LT4's without the straps. Of course, strap or not is a personal preference. I started using my Lt4's a bit differently the most do. I shortened them and use the top "knob" on flats and downhills and only use the standard grips for uphills. I did attach a loop to the small loop that piper talked about. It allows me to put it over my wrist for stream crossings etc.

Blissful
04-08-2012, 22:18
I knew a guy who did SOBO with those poles and busted them right off. Get a decent pair that will hold up. Really tough terrain to start in ME and NH. Ultralight does not equate to sturdy

Tinker
04-08-2012, 23:23
http://images.search.yahoo.com/images/view;_ylt=A0PDoTGeVIJPxjcAp36JzbkF;_ylu=X3oDMTBlMT Q4cGxyBHNlYwNzcgRzbGsDaW1n?back=http%3A%2F%2Fimage s.search.yahoo.com%2Fsearch%2Fimages%3Fp%3Dcross%2 Bcountry%2Bracing%2Bpoles%26_adv_prop%3Dimage%26va %3Dcross%2Bcountry%2Bracing%2Bpoles%26fr%3Dfp-yma2%26tab%3Dorganic%26ri%3D60&w=1800&h=612&imgurl=nordicwalkingusa.files.wordpress.com%2F2010 %2F09%2Fswix-nordic-walking-vips-very-important-poles.jpg&rurl=http%3A%2F%2Fnordicwalkingusa.wordpress.com%2 F2010%2F09%2F27%2Freal-nordic-walking-poles-not-all-nordic-walking-poles-straps-and-grips-are-created-equal%2F&size=202.4+KB&name=Nordic+Walking+Poles+%E2%80%93+Not+All+Nordic +Walking+Poles%2C+Straps+And+...&p=cross+country+racing+poles&oid=954590dce4f2647c1c49163eeea2ee50&fr2=&fr=fp-yma2&tt=Nordic%2BWalking%2BPoles%2B%25E2%2580%2593%2BNo t%2BAll%2BNordic%2BWalking%2BPoles%252C%2BStraps%2 BAnd%2B...&b=31&ni=108&no=60&tab=organic&ts=&sigr=14b7e1ucn&sigb=14kr4dt4l&sigi=12utc285v&.crumb=rzRGF3O.gwz

Here's something on Nordic Walking Poles, a walking version of cross country ski racing poles.

QiWiz
04-10-2012, 15:59
I knew a guy who did SOBO with those poles and busted them right off. Get a decent pair that will hold up. Really tough terrain to start in ME and NH. Ultralight does not equate to sturdy

It depends on how careful (and unlucky or lucky) you are. I've seen people bend and break lots of "sturdy" poles. S**t happens. I've used the LT2s and LT4s for 1000+ trail miles on the AT and other Eastern trails and out West on and off trail and have not broken them (yet). I like the lightness and I'll risk the breakage. You obviously can break them, but you can also have a very enjoyable hike and not break them.

kidchill
04-10-2012, 19:17
I went ahead and just ordered the GG poles with straps. The difference in weight is negligible and I can remove them if need be. Honestly, I'm still not totally sold on trekking poles, the poles + my new tent saves me 10oz, so I'm getting them regardless of how much I use them...Thanks for the comments/info!

Odd Man Out
04-10-2012, 20:20
Regarding the use of straps: About half the people I see on the AT don't use their straps correctly. ...Use them incorrectly and you will wonder why in the heck they are there in the first place.:)

Maybe this helps

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOQFPL2lpMY

kidchill
04-11-2012, 19:06
Just had to post this...In regards to the comments about the lighter carbon fiber poles not being rugged and able to support weight...the poles were delivered today and there a was a large neon sticker on the delivery tube that read "FRAGILE"...LOL

VTATHiker
04-12-2012, 10:33
Portrait (NOBO 2011) broke both of his UL poles during his hike last year: http://www.trailjournals.com/gear.cfm?trailname=11371. From what I've read, almost every time a carbon-fiber pole gets broken it's from stepping on the tip after it gets stuck on a stick or rock in mid-stride. If you're always aware of where you're placing the poles I would think you should be fine... just need to keep that awareness up for 2,000 miles. Also, if you're interested, Portrait kept one of the best trail journals I've ever read.