PDA

View Full Version : Balls and Sunshine

ChinMusic
04-03-2012, 22:21
This father/daughter combo completed the PCT last year and had just started the AT for 2012. Their journal was a VERY good read last year. Looking forward to following them this year. I believe Sunshine is the youngest to thruhike the PCT at age 11 and it was a VERY difficult year.

http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=371693

Day 1: Gooch

Deadeye
04-04-2012, 11:46
Not what I was expecting when I opened this thread!

ChinMusic
04-04-2012, 11:53
Not what I was expecting when I opened this thread!

Nope, not another kilt thread.

The father got his nickname while in the service. His last name had his drill sergeant calling him that.

HeartFire
04-04-2012, 12:59
http://watch.opb.org/video/2214199608
This is a great video of them on the PCT. She was second youngest - by just a few months. They are hiking the AT this year and plan on the CDT next year.

Cottontp
04-04-2012, 18:12
just watched the video, to ****ing cool man.

nice you two have that documented, one word........ awesome.

louisb
04-04-2012, 18:25
That is one impressive young lady. I have been eagerly awaiting their journal updates since I found out about e AT thru a few weeks ago.

--louis

Wise Old Owl
04-04-2012, 21:11
Nice post Chin Music - BTW what do you do yo keep in shape in the flat lands of Illinois? ( I spent four years NE of Chicago) - my outlet was the Dells.

Firefighter503
04-05-2012, 09:47
Been following along, waiting for them to start. Glad it has finally come!

ChinMusic
04-08-2012, 16:51
Sunshine has been very positive and happy in her journal entries. Dad had been a bit of a curmudgeon, complaining about all kinds of stuff, from shelters being full to hikers not being friendly. I think he wishes he were back on the PCT.

royalusa
04-08-2012, 17:04
Dad had been a bit of a curmudgeon, complaining about all kinds of stuff...

Sounds a bit like his journal entry on the PCT when he trash talked just about all of the gear manufacturers that donated gear to him! Lost a bit of my respect after that entry.

Tinker
04-08-2012, 17:30
Sounds a bit like his journal entry on the PCT when he trash talked just about all of the gear manufacturers that donated gear to him! Lost a bit of my respect after that entry.

I haven't read the journal, but maybe he was just being honest about what he expected vs. what he experienced.

The distance between our expectations and our experiences might be called "The Bitching Field".

The higher your expectations, the greater your disappointments.

The lower your expectations, the lower your achievements. There must be some formula here.........:-?

beaver831
04-09-2012, 22:03
We met them at Plum Orchard shelter and they seemed to be very personable. The shelter was already full when they got there. I'm planning on following them during their hike. Balls said that Sunshine's goal is to triple crown by next year. Hope she makes it.

rocketsocks
04-09-2012, 22:13
We met them at Plum Orchard shelter and they seemed to be very personable. The shelter was already full when they got there. I'm planning on following them during their hike. Balls said that Sunshine's goal is to triple crown by next year. Hope she makes it.Yes,if she can stay injury free over the years.Some times getting hurt when your young and having it persist into adulthood can really suck.

ChinMusic
05-14-2012, 15:28
Awesome pic of them at McAffe Knob.

http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=12870

WIAPilot
05-14-2012, 15:30
Their journal is one of my absolute favorites.

rocketsocks
05-14-2012, 15:37
Awesome pic of them at McAffe Knob.

http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=12870+1 great picture indeed.

Mikey Appleseed
05-14-2012, 17:39
Great people, hiked with em alot on day 1 last year. They had a hard time with other hikers leaving them in the sierra, because others felt it unsafe for sunshine, yet most of the fearmongers bailed and they sailed to canada. Balls was a little upset with flippers,skippers, and quiters, in some trail registers, but who cares about other peoples hikes, as long as your happy with yours. Go B+S, you guys rock! 2011 on the PCT was a soulcrusher for ALOT of people thinking the giant snowpack would be fun!

Rusty Nail
05-16-2012, 09:14
They started 3 days after I did and must have passed me along the way I noticed their unique stamps in the registers and heard of them from other hikers. I tried to keep up but they remained 1 or 2 days ahead for weeks. It was not until Hot Springs that we were in the same town at the same time. Unfortunately I was just getting in as they were getting ready to leave. I missed out on the small packets of cheese they were handing out and had to listen to everyone as they enjoyed theirs. Bummer I love cheese especially jalapeno cheese. When I returned home I told my 11 year old daughter about what Sunshine was doing and that inspired her to get out and hike with me. Looks like I have a new hiking buddy!

turtle fast
05-16-2012, 12:14
At 11 nice job! I wonder if in a few years my little one would not have the same ability...hmmm...start training now? My 3 year old guy likes to hike already infact was asking to go this morning. Now to teach him to set up camp...

Sarcasm the elf
05-16-2012, 22:16
I thought I'd point out that I just tried to Google "Trailjournals" the auto-suggest turned it into "Trailjournals balls and sunshine".

I guess they're journal is popular this year (and well it should be based on what I've read).

rocketsocks
05-16-2012, 23:28
At 11 nice job! I wonder if in a few years my little one would not have the same ability...hmmm...start training now? My 3 year old guy likes to hike already infact was asking to go this morning. Now to teach him to set up camp...To some degree,I think the younger kids aren't necessarily made,but rather......there born.IMHO

leaftye
05-16-2012, 23:36
That reminds me of something Balls told me. He said he'd been trying to find a hiking partner for years, without success, so he made one. He did well.

rocketsocks
05-16-2012, 23:40
That reminds me of something Balls told me. He said he'd been trying to find a hiking partner for years, without success, so he made one. He did well.Yes,and as always....there are exceptions to all rules,either way,what a neat kid.

Gator 65
05-27-2012, 19:31
Ran into Balls and Sunshine at the Skyland Lodge eating breakfast while I was hiking the Shenandoah National Park ( May 14-21) both looked good, Sunshine told me about needing to finish so she can get back intime for school. Balls ( daddy) was very cordial and in good spirits.it was Sunday the 20th when I spoke with them.

WIAPilot
05-27-2012, 19:46
These are two of my favorite people in the hiking community. It amazes me the devotion that this father is showing his daughter in helping her to pursue her dream.

roy_hiking
05-27-2012, 20:42
Who's dream?

WIAPilot
05-27-2012, 20:58
Who's dream?

This was a dream of Sunshine's long before it was a dream of her father's, although their family had always hiked together. Please do not make statements of which you know nothing about. Is Eric (Balls) proud of her? Is this now "their" dream? Definitely! But the day that Sunshine stops wanting to do this, her father will hang it up.

ChinMusic
05-27-2012, 21:34
This was a dream of Sunshine's long before it was a dream of her father's, although their family had always hiked together. Please do not make statements of which you know nothing about. Is Eric (Balls) proud of her? Is this now "their" dream? Definitely! But the day that Sunshine stops wanting to do this, her father will hang it up.
Near the last stretch of their PCT thru, when Sunshine was told by the doc that her foot infection may keep her from finishing the PCT, she was crushed.

I have raised two kids. There is no question in my mind that the kid wants it. You can tell it from her journal updates. She is the more positive of the two. I don't recall her grumbling about anything.

MightySparrow
05-30-2012, 18:58
They were both super kind to me! Met them in Hot Springs, NC and they gave out some samples that were, I believe, string cheese they had sent out to them. Wish them both the best! :)

doglvr
05-30-2012, 20:10
I had no idea until today that they were doing the AT. Kept up with their posts last year on the PCT. Can't remember how I found out about them - think it was something besides BPL. Just read through their journal... 1/2 way point in 58 days. Awesome.

msupple
05-30-2012, 21:28
Dang!! They started at Springer the same day as me and I missed them .:( I followed them devotedly on their other hike. I can truly say they inspired me. :)

Cat in the Hat

swjohnsey
06-02-2012, 16:04
Ran into them (not literally) at The Place and again at Trent's Grocery.

imscotty
06-04-2012, 15:06
Read their latest journal entry... Sunshine broke her arm on the PA rocks...

http://www.trailjournals.com/sunshine2012at

Sounds like it will be a temporary setback. That girl has true grit. Wish them both the best.

sbhikes
06-04-2012, 15:14
I remember reading their PCT journal last year. Sunshine pushed her dad into 30 mile days, not the other way around. She's a hiking machine.

ChinMusic
06-04-2012, 15:56
I can relate to kids getting hurt and wanting to continue. My son had stitches on his right ring finger but still played baseball, just held the bat funny for a week.

I think it is awesome that she wants to continue. I bet she ends up with a heck of a souvenir, all dirty, chipped, and full of trail names.

rocketsocks
06-04-2012, 16:16
Read their latest journal entry... Sunshine broke her arm on the PA rocks...

http://www.trailjournals.com/sunshine2012at

Sounds like it will be a temporary setback. That girl has true grit. Wish them both the best.Wow,sure sorry to hear that,those PA rocks can be tricky for anyone,they certainly tripped me and my son up a few times,and left me with a nice big bruise on the shine.Sunshine sure hope you heal fast,you are doing such a great job!finish or not,you have a fan in me,feel better RS

Post Script;Sunshine, ask your dad to buy you a titanium coat hanger that you can bend in half and use for the itchy's.

WIAPilot
06-04-2012, 17:00
What a trooper Sunshine is! :sunI think SHE is the one pushing her Dad! LOL What a great dad he is. You can tell how concerned he is about the whole situation. Sunshine makes me wish I had a daughter just like her. :)

ChinMusic
06-04-2012, 18:10
Post Script;Sunshine, ask your dad to buy you a titanium coat hanger that you can bend in half and use for the itchy's.
post of the day

Ferrousknight
07-03-2012, 00:09
I met these two way back at the Fontana Hilton....they are unsurprisingly 500 miles ahead of me now...at least I'm done with the damn PA rocks....and on to rocks in other states.

ChinMusic
07-03-2012, 00:19
Sunshine got her cast off today.

PapaGarrettP
07-03-2012, 11:51
Ran into them near the GA-NC border in April. I was heading south and they stopped to chat (as most all the NOBOs did -- we were the only SOBOs out that week it seemed). Anyway, got into a good discussion with Balls about reducing gear weight. Cool people. I didn't even realize how young Sunshine was until I got back and looked up their journal!

Ladytrekker
07-03-2012, 12:32
Amazing family how great is that to grow up with these types of lifes lessons.

rocketsocks
07-03-2012, 12:41
Yeah! cast off day is always a big day!:sunit wont always look thin,shriveled,and well...un-tan, congrats on getting your arm back, no more banging your head when you go to scratch it. hehehe

Driver8
07-03-2012, 12:58
congrats on getting your arm back, no more banging your head when you go to scratch it. hehehe

I know this may have happened to you a few time, space rocket, and I feel terrible about it. ;)

jakedatc
07-04-2012, 00:22
They made it to Moosilauke.. I think they will enjoy the Whites immensely. I think they will finally get the exposure and views more like on the PCT.. only greener.

rocketsocks
07-04-2012, 00:36
I know this may have happened to you a few time, space rocket, and I feel terrible about it. ;)oh yeah, been there a few times.:datz

fireneck
07-04-2012, 10:14
Got to hike out of Hanover, NH with them! Such a great duo!

draagonflies4
07-15-2012, 18:07
I am so glad I came upon this. I will be taking my son who just turned 12 last week. We are doing this in celebration of his older brother who passed away almost 3 yrs ago. I had wanted to plan this with my two older boys (I have 4) but God had diffrent plans when my son went "Home" and there is much celebration of life to be rememberd about him. So my 12 yr old who is much like me will go with me to spread some of my oldest ashes there. :O) I think it is awesome that this young lady is out with her dad, what wonderful memories being made and that young lady will pass that passion on! Keep trekking Balls and Sunshine! God Bless!

draagonflies4
07-15-2012, 18:11
P.S. this is the kind of spirit I love to read about and I hope this will spread more often. :sun

leaftye
07-15-2012, 19:05
Ran into them near the GA-NC border in April. I was heading south and they stopped to chat (as most all the NOBOs did -- we were the only SOBOs out that week it seemed). Anyway, got into a good discussion with Balls about reducing gear weight. Cool people. I didn't even realize how young Sunshine was until I got back and looked up their journal!

I don't know if it's just her, or something with being out on the trail, but it seems she looks older than she is. One of the guys on the trail crew thought she was much older and was commenting on how attractive she was. The first time I saw her, she was running around the ADZPCTKO campground with her little sister and Jayhawk (another young hiker), so when I see her, I see that kid running around like kids do.

Driver8
07-15-2012, 19:18
I don't know if it's just her, or something with being out on the trail, but it seems she looks older than she is. One of the guys on the trail crew thought she was much older and was commenting on how attractive she was. The first time I saw her, she was running around the ADZPCTKO campground with her little sister and Jayhawk (another young hiker), so when I see her, I see that kid running around like kids do.

She seems like a great kid and I love their journal. My favorite this year for sure. They stopped talking about how small the mountains are on the east coast when they hit the Whites, however. ...

ChinMusic
07-15-2012, 19:37
The dynamic duo has entered Maine.

Northern Lights
07-15-2012, 21:59
Their whole hike is impressive, but that young lady amazes me. Can't wait to see what she does next!

ChinMusic
07-15-2012, 22:24
Their whole hike is impressive, but that young lady amazes me. Can't wait to see what she does next!

I think it is almost a given that she does the CDT next year. This kid has averaged nearly 20/day (total) and over 20/day hiking on the AT, and that was with breaking an arm (requiring a cast).

ChinMusic
07-23-2012, 16:22
Assuming the weather cooperated, today is summit day for Balls and Sunshine. They blew through Maine like it was nothing. They entered Maine on 7/13.

112 days with 8 zeros.

ChinMusic
07-24-2012, 15:24
Two down, one to go.........

rocketsocks
07-24-2012, 15:31
Awesome!, ya know, I do believe Sunshine got taller since she started the trail, cause she sure is up there. :D

Congratulation Balls and Sunshine! :) :clap:sun

ChinMusic
07-24-2012, 15:50
Awesome!, ya know, I do believe Sunshine got taller since she started the trail, cause she sure is up there. :D

Congratulation Balls and Sunshine! :) :clap:sun

I was thinking the same thing. Looks like a bit of a growth spurt. I was kinda wondering if the stress of a thru hike might affect her development. She looks very healthy, as does dad.

rocketsocks
07-24-2012, 15:59
I was thinking the same thing. Looks like a bit of a growth spurt. I was kinda wondering if the stress of a thru hike might affect her development. She looks very healthy, as does dad.Yep, I made a joke, but was serious too, she looks taller, and they both look Soooo happy, and rightly so, time to go rest up!

ChinMusic
07-24-2012, 16:02
Looking forward to their CDT exploits.

ChinMusic
07-24-2012, 16:04
..... and they both look Soooo happy, and rightly so, time to go rest up!

Time to rest up and stop at every DQ on the way to Oregon.

Slo-go'en
07-24-2012, 17:29
Glad they made it. Some pretty wicked T storms blew through here last night and early in the morning. More rain in the late morning and unsettled all day. I guess they were just far enough north and west to miss most, if not all of it.

Sunshine looks mighty thin, she needs to eat a lot in the coming weeks. Guess it figures with the kind of miles they consistantly do. Pretty amazing actually.

ChinMusic
07-24-2012, 17:36
Sunshine looks mighty thin, she needs to eat a lot in the coming weeks. Guess it figures with the kind of miles they consistantly do. Pretty amazing actually.

My daughter looked that thin at age 12. It is not uncommon. It doesn't necessarily mean it is because of the thru, but I'm sure she will put on a few pounds over the next month or so. To me, from the pic, she looks like the picture of health.

rocketsocks
07-24-2012, 20:14
Time to rest up and stop at every DQ on the way to Oregon.Yeah man on the DQ, and that dosen't stand for Designated icecream licker :p It stands for Go away, I'll lick my own icecream thank you very much.:D It also stands for "Don't Quit", keep them Banana Splits coming.:banana.........:banana

Oh yeah, and Dairy Queen!

Balls
07-30-2012, 03:36
Thanks for the well wishes and Congrats everyone! We saw that storm in the forecast and it was the final reason we pushed hard to finish the 23rd. We also missed a big snow storm last year on the PCT because of a similar last minute push. We had a great hike and feel very blessed to have done it together. Sunshine actualy gained weight, grew 1 inch, and a 1/2 shoe size on the AT. When we got home, we discovered (as suspected) that she out grew all of her non-hiking clothes. We have learned from experience how to stay healthy on the trail. This year was particularly easy to stay healthy with all the town access. Sunshine is a tall thin girl geneticly, not from thru-hiking. I weighed 100 lbs my freshman year and 127 my senior year of highschool. Yes! We are great DQ fans as well! Thanks again everyone.

ChinMusic
07-30-2012, 10:50
You did great, dad.

I am gonna check out Joe to Go on my thru next year...........lol

Balls
07-30-2012, 12:24
That should be very entertaining ChinMusic, enjoy. Please share the story with the rest if us later. We've enjoyed hearing the many Joe to Go stories over the summer.

AngryGerman
08-01-2012, 08:00
Balls and Sunshine; I met you guys on the trail just south of Katahdin Stream. It was great to finally meet you and it was definately an inspiring experience. I am still heading SOBO and I am currently chilling in Monson after cruising through the 100 Mile. Good luck on you future hikes guys and I hope to run into you again!

Happy Trails!

ChinMusic
08-03-2012, 14:47
They are currently in Oregon. The are planning on assisting Monkey as she tries to break Sunshine's PCT age record.

rocketsocks
08-03-2012, 15:31
They are currently in Oregon. The are planning on assisting Monkey as she tries to break Sunshine's PCT age record.That is very cool, and absolutely in keeping with good sportsmanship, I love hearing things like this, if long distance hiking ever becomes an Olympic sport, these two young-ins would be right at the top of the list, many adults could take a lesson here. Thanks for reporting on this Chin, I always enjoy hearing the updates, keep em coming.