PDA

View Full Version : Anybody have a personal experience or review on this tent? (Flycreek UL1)

Owf
04-04-2012, 04:27
Hey, I was contemplating buying the Flycreek UL1, mostly because of its super light weight (it's just around 2lbs). From my experiences, I've seen a lot of hikers using this tent (that's got to count for something, right?). Anybody own this tent who could possibly give me a thumbs up or down on this choice? Thanks, guys:)...shelter seems to be the hardest gear purchase to commit to for me.

RedBeerd
04-04-2012, 06:35
That is what I have and I think its a great tent. Its what I ended up with after trying a hammock and the REI quarter dome T1. Im 5'9 about 195lbs with more broad shoulders and it feels plenty wide. Easy to set up as well.

Cedar Tree
04-04-2012, 06:37
I've got a fairly heavily used one I will make you a deal on. $100 shipped.
I will include the tyvek groundsheet I made for it too, has grommets in it so it clicks into the tent poles to hold it in place.
Contact me through my website if interested,
www.thepacka.com
Cedar tree

One Half
04-04-2012, 18:15
I like mine. I just started soloing last season. Very light. Held up well to a nice storm of rain and hail. Plenty of room for me (5'3" woman) and my gear. If I can get the kid on the trail it will be his to use while DH and I step up to a 2 person tent.

hikerboy57
04-04-2012, 19:44
i have the UL2 it only weighs a few more ounces and much roomier. only downside, not completely freestanding, and front rather than side vestibule.

Owf
04-04-2012, 20:12
That is what I have and I think its a great tent. Its what I ended up with after trying a hammock and the REI quarter dome T1. Im 5'9 about 195lbs with more broad shoulders and it feels plenty wide. Easy to set up as well.

Phew, I'm only 5'4 and 125lbs, so this tent should be plenty roomy. I was contemplating using a hammock...what made you switch to a tent after trying a hammock? I've never used a hammock before...I'm an extreme neophyte when it comes to these.

Owf
04-04-2012, 20:14
Well, I'm glad that nobody has posted a bad review yet.. :)

Cedar Tree, thanks for the offer, but I think that I am going to invest in this tent through REI, so that if I end up disliking it, I'm not stuck with it.

nyrslr21
04-04-2012, 20:48
I'm about 5'5" 115lbs and have the UL2. It's great to have the extra room for gear and if you end up hiking with a buddy, totally worth the extra few ounces.

Wise Old Owl
04-04-2012, 20:57
Its a general People pleaser - scouts and dads love it.

runfifty
04-04-2012, 23:01
I used it on my 2010 thru hike and was very pleased with it. Whenever possible, I set it up in the shelters to protect me from bugs and mice. If people showed up late, I could take it down quickly. When not staying in the shelters, I would attach the rain fly at the foot end of the tent and roll down the rest of the rain fly to enjoy the stars, if the weather stayed good, and still be able to quickly unroll the fly if it rained. Had adequate room for one person and some gear although the front entry made me work harder to exit the tent than a side entry would have. Held up fine in rainstorms and condensation didn't seem to be a problem. I liked mine so well that I'm taking it on the PCT this year.

RedBeerd
04-05-2012, 06:49

Phew, I'm only 5'4 and 125lbs, so this tent should be plenty roomy. I was contemplating using a hammock...what made you switch to a tent after trying a hammock? I've never used a hammock before...I'm an extreme neophyte when it comes to these.

I like how a tent has a "home" feel to it. You can crawl in and spread out and read a book and theres room to change positions. A hammock felt like it was just for sleeping- thats it. I toss and turn a lot while sleeping too so the hammock didn't work well with me. It seemed cramped even though I made sure to get a big size. So the idea of a hammock is great but I feel they are very limited compared to a tent. They each have pros and cons so it is worth it to give it a shot and see how you feel about it.

stick man
04-05-2012, 16:34
big agnes number one in my book i used a seed house 2 for my 09 thru hike every night but two nights in smokies dam ridge runners i still use it seaction sobo monday . the only problem with flycreek is color if you might need to stelth camp go big A

sdavies
04-12-2012, 16:21
I love mine as well. I used the one person for my 2010 thru and had no regrets. Like the other posters said, the 2 person will probably be more versatile for not much more weight, but if it's a thru hike you're doing, and you know it's just going to be you, I'd stick with the single person. You'll still have some room in there for gear.

Astro
04-12-2012, 16:35
I have the Big Agnes Seedhouse SL2 and I am very happy with it. The Flycreek UL1 is probably even nicer since it is even lighter. Went with two person since my 11 year old son was hiking with me then, but wish I had one person now since it would be lighter, but at least I have plenty or room now.

Oak88
04-12-2012, 16:39
I am 6'4" and have the UL 2 Fly Creek. As stated before its worth the few extra ounces.

drifter
04-12-2012, 17:35
I too have the UL2, also had the SL1 but love the extra room for same if not slightly less wt. I'm 6'2 and while I could stand another couple inches of footroom all said is a great tent for the $ and wt.

Mando12
04-12-2012, 21:58
I have the Flycreek UL1. It is awesome. You get a great tent for the weight. The one negative is the headroom. Sitting up is tough (I am 6 foot). If you are changing clothes inside the tent, say, putting on a pullover, you will need some Houdini like moves.

Whack-a-mole
04-13-2012, 10:12
I have the copper spur, which is a 1st cousin to the flycreek. I really like it a lot. You have a little more head room and interior room due to a double "Y" pole and a little cross bar which holds it wider. Of course this adds a little weight, but it was worth it to me because I'm a pretty big guy. Being smaller, you may not need the extra headroom.

steveinator
04-13-2012, 11:23
I too have the coppur spur. I'm all about the side entry. Also the added head-room is nice.

dornstar
04-13-2012, 22:31
Just sold mine on eBay.

Pros: It's very light, extremely easy to setup and looks great. Also, despite the material feeling like it wouldn't last a day, it's rather durable and rock steady in the rain.

Cons: Two words... FRONT ENTRY! It only took one prolonged rain storm for me to realize this is not the tent for me as the fly has to be closed up. I think the rear section is a little too low as well. Also, with just the poles connecting at one spot in the middle of the back, it can be awkward to pitch in the wind.