PDA

View Full Version : Dumb Tent question

dmperkins74
04-04-2012, 07:08
Hey Gang,

I've got an REI Quarterdome tent (http://www.rei.com/outlet/category/1/q/REI+Quarter+Dome) and I've used it a couple of times in good weather. I've never set up camp in the rain, so here's my dumb question is... how would you go about setting up this tent in the rain? It's mostly a screen! Do folks just set it up in the rain, then put on the cover, then dry the inside out? That seems like it'd be impossible!

Thanks,
alphapig

canoehead
04-04-2012, 08:10
I have set the tent up in the shelter when no one was in it and then carry it out all set up and ready to go. Otherwise just set it up in the rain and have your towel ready to go after you've set it up. If you are with others and have a tarp have them hold the tarp over the tent as you set it up and the do the same for them.

Hikes in Rain
04-04-2012, 12:13
I like a poncho for primary rain gear. Once, and only once, I used some line to make a little canopy out of it to set the tent up under. Sounded good, but really more trouble than it was worth. The next time, I just set it up in the driving downpour and discovered that nowhere near as much rain came through the bug net inner wall as I expected. I brought more water in by being soaking wet. A bandana took care of any wetness.

flemdawg1
04-04-2012, 12:22
Assemble the tent upside down, flip over and stake after putting on rainfly.

Ktaadn
04-04-2012, 13:41
I think setting the tent up in an empty shelter, when available, is the best plan. My other idea would be to throw the fly over the tent and crawl underneath it while clipping the tent body to the poles. I think that would work as long as it wasn't too windy.

msimonov
04-04-2012, 14:23
I have the quarter dome UL and I have given this some thought. I have not had to try this yet. But, my plan is to put the fly over the tent and clip 3 of the 4 corners. Then slide one of the poles through the uncliped corner. Clip the fly on that side, unclip the other side, and then repeat. This is one reason that the new model quarter domes, that can be set up with just the footprint and fly, could be an advantage. You could set up the footprint and fly then get in and and hang the tent.

ChinMusic
04-04-2012, 14:23
Just set it up quickly and use your camp towel to wipe out the majority of the water.

It's just water.

Rocket Jones
04-04-2012, 14:30
Practice now in good weather, before you have to do it for real. You'll figure out what works best for you, then come back and let everyone else know what you've learned.

RWheeler
04-04-2012, 14:33
Just set it up quickly and use your camp towel to wipe out the majority of the water.

It's just water.

This is what I do with my half dome. You can drape the fly over it while you're setting it up and move it accordingly to decrease the water that gets in there... but it's not going to make it a bathtub inside the tent.

wnderer
04-06-2012, 21:54
I have a similar problem with my Black Diamond Light Saber Bivy. It opens to the sky and I don't know how I would get the tent, sleeping bag and other stuff out of the back pack in the rain, so I made a tarp. I bought a 5'x9' piece of Syl Nylon from Thru hiker (http://thru-hiker.com/materials/coated.php). I would have liked something wider but 5' is the width they sell. I treated it like they do floors on this site (http://jwbasecamp.com/Articles/Silnylon1/index.html). I folded the edges over and embedded ribbons for tying off the tarp at the corners and at 3 feet in on the longer sides. When set up it is a triangle with one completely covered six feet long side, one half covered six foot long side and is about 3 feet tall using my hiking poles. The tarp is small so it doesn't cover the whole bivy, but it worked in a rainstorm on the Benton McKay to keep my down sleeping bag dry.