PDA

View Full Version : Marine Enhancement Program/New ideas

Majortrauma
04-04-2012, 10:54
I'm throwing this out there for general consumption. This is a program whereby Marines or anyone else may submit ideas or recommendations to improve the quality of gear, equipment etc for Marines in general but more specifically for the grunts doing the heavy lifting.

https://www.mccdc.usmc.mil/featuretopics/mep/history.html

The backpacking/hiking community has made some significant contributions as evidenced by the major changes in technology and equipment we've purchased in the last 20 or so years.
When I was in Boot camp in '81 we were still using civil war technology i.e. canvas tents. Thanks to General Krulak and some other forward thinkers we adopted the gear hikers have been using for years and were able to circumvent some of the rigorous R&D proceses.
Look at MEP Successes and you can see some of them.
Don't worry about completing the entire form. If someone likes your idea, they'll get in touch with you.

Rocket Jones
04-04-2012, 11:05
Replace MRE's with MRA's. Meal, Ramen Again. :D

jtfowler28
04-05-2012, 08:21
My biggest headache with the USMC is they spend ridiculous amounts of money on polar-tec and North Face cold weather gear and refuse to let us wear it outside the wire for fear of its flammability in an explosion. I know some advancements have been made with the FROG stuff, but it really doesn't work as well as a no-**** warming layer. S/F

yellowsirocco
04-05-2012, 08:49
The decision makers should get out on the trail and see the gear first hand being used. Asking for suggestions on the internet is very passive and not going to yield near as much as going out and seeing this stuff being used in person.

Majortrauma
04-05-2012, 09:22
For the record I have intimate knowledge of the processes used by Marine Corps Systems Command when they start testing prototypes of anything. Some things do slip through the cracks but the testing is very detailed and methodical. When we narrow the decision down to the select few real competitors and eliminate the posers, we use real Marines with relevant, practical experience to test it in the field in the very conditions in which it will be used. Again, that usually goes well but not always.
The point of the site above is to find out from non-Marines what is being used out there that we are not aware of.

KYLarry
05-07-2012, 12:31
I spent 8 yrs in the Marines and the biggest issue I had with the gear was that it was so heavy and uncomfortable. I started out with the ALICE gear and ended with the MOLLE gear. I know that at the time they had Gregory and ArcTeryx submit prototypes for packs but they didn't seem to go anywhere. I understand the need to have things be durable, due to the abuse the stuff takes but the sleeping bag 'system' alone filled up the pack and weighed you down pretty significantly.

I will take a look at the site and submit some suggestions based on what myself and my Marines experienced. Perhaps we can help out the future generations.

Pedaling Fool
07-29-2012, 14:12
I like, but this is a surprise change in "gear", a little flash in the past for me :)

http://www.marinecorpstimes.com/news/2012/02/marine-corps-to-decide-on-new-45-caliber-pistol-022112/

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/07/28/marines-pay-22m-to-go-back-to-their-old-guns-colt-45-caliber-pistols/?intcmp=obinsite

BigRing
07-30-2012, 19:16
....interesting.