PDA

View Full Version : 05 thru gear list

alanthealan
03-31-2005, 21:30
Pack- G.G. Vapor
Pack cover- G.G. snylon
Tarp- Lair 1 (I am undecided about wether to buy a bug net)
Ground Sheet- Old Seirra Design Orion foot print
Bag- Mtn Hardware Down somthing or other (had it for a while)
Stove- Ion
Pot- Snow Peak 900
Sleep Pad- Ridge Rest
Spoon- Lexan
Cup- Lexan (coffe)
Lamp- Tikka Plus
Knife- Small Swiss
Bandanna- x2 Mapdannas
Sticks- Leki
Water Treat- Aqua Mira
Rain Gear- Pre Cip
Fleece- 200 wt.
Shorts
Poly top & Bottom
T-shirt
50ft Line
Gel Pads, Blistex, Safty Pin
Bic x2
Stuff Sack (for little things like blistex)
Food Sack
Molded Foam Camp Shoes
Shoes & Socks (still looking)
Thats should be about it.

Lone Wolf
03-31-2005, 21:33
And the reason for posting this?

alanthealan
03-31-2005, 21:42
So that you can offer all of that candite wisdom you possess by saying things like I would never use titanium. Eventually after reading some opinions of others I can then form my own opinion based on theirs. We will all feel better for sharing and the world will be a better place. Besides I may learn something!

hikerjohnd
03-31-2005, 21:49
And the reason for posting this?
Isn't it obvious? He needs advice on shoes and socks! :D

SGT Rock
04-01-2005, 04:29
Pack- G.G. Vapor
Pack cover- G.G. snylon
Stove- IonGREAT CHOICE! :banana

Pot- Snow Peak 900
Sleep Pad- Ridge Rest
Spoon- Lexan
Cup- Lexan (coffe)
Lamp- Tikka PlusYou could save about 1/2 ounce if you used a Zippka Plus. Otherwise no worries:D

Knife- Small Swiss
Bandanna- x2 Mapdannas
Sticks- Leki
Water Treat- Aqua Mira
Rain Gear- Pre Cip
Fleece- 200 wt.
Shorts
Poly top & Bottom
T-shirt
50ft Line
Bic x2
Food Sack
Molded Foam Camp Shoes
What are these?

I personally like New Ballance trail runners, but I am thinking about Merrill chamelon stretch shoes. For socks, I like light nylon running socks for hiking in this sort of shoes with a pair of warmer wool socks like smartwool for camp in cool weather and a pair of SealSkinz to add in bad weather like snow - plus they are another warm sock layer for camp if you need it.
Thats should be about it.[/QUOTE]My recommended adds:

Add a pack liner. Something like a trash compactor bag. Your clothes and bag may love you for the extra 2 ounces of weight.

What are you going to carry water in?

What about a camera and/or a journal?

Hygeine stuff like tooth paste, tooth brush, hand wash?

Add some duct tape and some super glue.

Have fun.

bulldog49
04-01-2005, 10:47
All the years I've been backpacking, I've never found the need to use trash bags inside my pack, or outside for that matter. Seems like they would be more of an encumberance packing and unpacking and I'd always be worried about them tearing. Just use coated stuff sacks for your bag and clothing and store all your food in plastic bags. Works fine.

For a water bottle, I've just switched from the Nalgene Lexan bottle to a Platypus with the push-pull spout. Much lighter and time will tell how durable it is. I got a Platy holster that lets me clip it on the pack.

As for socks, I swear by Smartwool. They have various thicknesses depending upon the type of shoe/boot you wear.

chris
04-01-2005, 10:53
Thats should be about it.

In the articles sections, look in the tarp list that I put together, as it has two summers worth of reviews of trail runners. I think there are 8 models, although some have since been replaced with newer versions.

alanthealan
04-01-2005, 13:12
What are these? Cheap foam flip flops from wal-mart. Your right I forgot I have a Platapus w/ hose, Disposable camera, and small notepad/pen, Duct tape wrapped around my Leki, You know those USO packages- I got a small Tooth Brush, and Hand Sanitizer

Panzer1
04-01-2005, 14:02
Are you going to bring a watch?

Also I use the white nalgene wide mouth high-density polyethylene bottle instead of the fancy colored nalgene Lexan bottles. They are the same size and shape, but are lighter, almost by half.

I have been reading the TrailJournal of a guy named "Jaws" who is on the trail now. He's a 2 time thru-hiker and he said that both of his Platypus bags got holes in them on this trip. I would not want to rely entirely on the platypus bags for that reason. Although I always have at least one bag with me because they can hold up to 4 liters.

And I would double bag my sleeping bag. Just in case. You don't necessarly need a full size kitchen trash bag for this. I like to use the supermarket shopping bags. They weigh almost nothing and don't take up any extra space. My down bag fits in there nicely. And I wouldn't woory about these bags getting holes in them. If they get a hole just replace it with another supermarket bag. Even with a hole in the bag it will still give some protection.

Panzer

YerbaJon
04-01-2005, 14:11
I would bring a space blanket/emergency blanket. Hypothermia is the number one killer of hikers. It can be used under your bag to reflect heat back up at you, or it can be put inside the bag overtop of you if your bag fails in low temperatures.

YerbaJon
04-01-2005, 14:15

I recommend a trail running shoe or trail shoe that has carbon molded rubber; it will be your longest lasting sole. I know ACG's and Montrail's top of the line running shoes have carbon based soles. Also, I would suggest a Gore-Tex waterproof shoe (again both companies top of the line trail runner is gore-tex). There are other companies as well, just insure they are carbon based soles and gore-tex if you want the most durable choice available.

chris
04-01-2005, 15:34
I have been reading the TrailJournal of a guy named "Jaws" who is on the trail now. He's a 2 time thru-hiker and he said that both of his Platypus bags got holes in them on this trip. I would not want to rely entirely on the platypus bags for that reason. Although I always have at least one bag with me because they can hold up to 4 liters.

I've got around 2100 miles now on a Platypus 2.4L water bag and it is still going strong. They changed their design a year ago and greatly improved the durability.

"ME & U"
04-01-2005, 16:23
Pack- G.G. Vapor
Pack cover- G.G. snylon
Stove- Ion
Pot- Snow Peak 900
Sleep Pad- Ridge Rest
Spoon- Lexan
Cup- Lexan (coffe)
Lamp- Tikka Plus
Knife- Small Swiss
Bandanna- x2 Mapdannas
Sticks- Leki
Water Treat- Aqua Mira
Rain Gear- Pre Cip
Fleece- 200 wt.
Shorts
Poly top & Bottom
T-shirt
50ft Line
Bic x2
Food Sack
Molded Foam Camp Shoes
Thats should be about it. My thoughts:
lose the pack cover and bombproof your pack with tectron
"ME" used the vapor and loved it. she never complained bout getting wet junk and we hiked in what seemed like forever rain.
Go for the bug net! We got raided by centipedes on night and it bout freaked "ME" out!
Switch to the space blanket idea for a ground sheet I have the Orion footprint and it's way too heavy
Check out the new PrincetonTec accesory light It's my new light weight headlamp and i used a piece of my packs bungee for a headband.
Waldies are great but weight 10 oz, not worth it!
Lose one of your bics and toss in a book of matches.
We used bleach for h2o treatment, works for us. Kept it in a visine bottle
Change it out every 10 days and keep it out of the sun thats what the chemist at our local treatment plant told us he'd do.
I'm an asolo fan and I also like the Vasque catalist for a trail shoe.
Try to forgoe the stuff sacs and get your gear down to three stuff sacs total. You'll lose weight and stay super organized.
All sleeping gear in one, a kitchen in the other, and everything thats left in the third.
I use a razor blade instead of a knife, my choice.
Got a first aid kit?

Panzer1
04-01-2005, 17:43
What about a guide book and maps. What are you doing there?

Panzer

alanthealan
04-01-2005, 19:39
-The Ground sheet is a bit heavy, but I though it was durable. I will look into Tyvec to save some weight.

- I used a space blanket once on a caving trip it was great for warmth, but it was really noisy.

- I will use one of those free bottles that come with a drink!

- Watch? I don't know. I never use one now, so I don't think I would on the trail either.

- For guide books and maps, I have the mapdannas and will carry sections of the companion.

Slimer
04-01-2005, 19:55
the best trail shoe I've found are the montrail Hardrocks. I put over 1300 miles on one pair. I personally don't see the need for Gore-Tex in a trail shoe. Trail shoes are low cut and their gonna get wet no matter what you do. The good thing is that their easy on your feet, they dry out quick, are very light, and let your feet breathe.

Panzer1
04-01-2005, 21:55
I'm not sold completely on the mapdanna.(weight 1.7 ounces each) In and of itself I think it is something that I would bring instead of my current bandanna, which is 1 ounce in weight. But I would not want to bring it instead of a set of AT maps.

My only reservation is that it does not contain as much information as a complete set of AT trail maps. Granted, my PA map set weighs 11 ounces, but you don't have to carry the entire set with you at one time. You could use a bounce box to mail unneeded maps ahead. You could also bounce ahead unneeded parts of the trail guide book.

I would agree that mapdanna contains enough info for a thru but I would want more info than just "enough".

Mapdana - 100% cotton -- Made in China

I think I would still want to bring a set of proper AT trail maps with me.

Panzer

"ME & U"
04-02-2005, 00:42
-The Ground sheet is a bit heavy, but I though it was durable. I will look into Tyvec to save some weight.

- I used a space blanket once on a caving trip it was great for warmth, but it was really noisy.

- I will use one of those free bottles that come with a drink!

- Watch? I don't know. I never use one now, so I don't think I would on the trail either.

- For guide books and maps, I have the mapdannas and will carry sections of the companion.

yaman, go for the free bottles I use a small listerine bottle for my soco. has a great little shot glass for a lid.
See the AT data book? $4.00 chop it up into small pieces and it's all the info you need on the trail. Kinda thought the maps were pricey, heavy, and over rated. Me liked to look at the profiles and such so I made her carry them:D

Panzer1
04-02-2005, 02:44
Kinda thought the maps were pricey, heavy, and over rated.
I agree that they are pricey and heavy, but not over rated.

Panzer

hikerjohnd
04-02-2005, 09:05
-MYST- was selling some on ebay - pretty good prices too...