PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone tried the EMS Velocity 1 tent?

mutski
04-04-2012, 18:15
I'm pondering a replacement for my Seedhouse I, since I don't like drips on the sleeping bag when I open the door in the rain. The Eastern Mountain Sports Velocity 1 http://www.ems.com/product/index.jsp?productId=12077527 and the Nemo Obi 1 http://www.rei.com/product/811991/nemo-obi-1p-tent both appeal, but it's hard to find unbiased reviews of either. Has anyone tried them? Things I like - good interior space, side door with vestibule for drier entry.

The Obi 1 reputedly has excelent ventilation, but I wonder if there is any problem with rain blowing through the cut-out at the head of the fly? Has anyone here tried it in stormy weather? Likewise, has anyone tried the EMS Velocity 1? I wonder if it has condensation problems.

I don't like the Hubba 1 due to small interior space, I really like the Copper Spur 1 except for price and the U-door (falls on floor, might tear when I crawl over it). I'm curious about tarptent Contrail and Rainbow; like the low weight but worry about condensation.

I tend to take week-long hikes around Alaska with plenty of wind, rain and sometimes a little snow. I want a tent that's comfortable for a day or two waiting out the weather. I also make an annual March pilgrimage to the Grand Canyon (best hike I know outside Alaska!), did 60 miles there this spring.

So, does anyone have real field experience with the Velocity 1 or the Obi 1? Thanks for your replies!

nehiker
04-04-2012, 22:41
I really like the Copper Spur 1 except for price and the U-door (falls on floor, might tear when I crawl over it). I'm curious about tarptent Contrail and Rainbow; like the low weight but worry about condensation.

Doesn't the Copper Spur 1 cost about as much as the Nemo Obi, but weigh less? Are the materials used on the Obi Elite too lightweight and questionable? What about the Terra Nova Solar Photon? It is about the same as the Copper Spur and the Nemo Obi pricewise (if you can find at a US retailer).

Franco
04-04-2012, 22:52
I could be wrong but that Velocity is not much bigger than the Hubba.
According to the specs it has 1 extra square foot of space (although the floor is wider at one end than the other) but it has 5" less of headroom. (EMS 35", MSR 40")
Vestibule space is about the same.
Franco

mutski
04-05-2012, 04:43
I could be wrong but that Velocity is not much bigger than the Hubba.
According to the specs it has 1 extra square foot of space (although the floor is wider at one end than the other) but it has 5" less of headroom. (EMS 35", MSR 40")
Vestibule space is about the same.
Franco

The Hubba 1 is 26"wide, the Velocity 1 is 38"at the head, 22" at the feet; the Obi 1 is 39" at the head, 29"at the feet; Copper Spur 1 is 42"at the head, 30" at the feet. I can sit in 35" of head room. Hubba is significantly narrower than the rest. I found the Obi 1 on sale for $279 vs. $349 for the Copper Spur. Velocity and Obi have D doors, hinged at the side. Copper Spur has U door, hinged at the bottom. All have large vestibules, side entry and sufficient head room. Weight with stakes, poles, fly and bags is 3 lbs 6 oz Velocity 1; 3 lbs 3 oz Obi 1; 3 lbs Copper Spur... mixed data from users, reviews and mfgrs.

I'm still hoping to hear some field reports for the Velocity and Obi tents. I don't like the U door, but I may break down and go for the Copper Spur anyway. I'm overthinking this, but I have plenty of time before the snow melts in Fairbanks.

dillard
04-05-2012, 10:56
I don't have experience with the Obi or Velocity but I do own the Copper Spur and I don't think the door being hinged at the bottom is a big deal at all really... you get used to it very quickly. Other than that I find its the perfect 1 man... light, lots of room, big vestibule, nice ventilation, goes up quickly and has good construction.

Your timing is off by just a bit, I picked mine up for $260 when they were getting rid of the 2011 models to make room for the 2012's. If your not in a hurry to replace your Seedhouse maybe you could catch the sales next year.

Tom Murphy
04-05-2012, 13:17
Easternslopes.com has a very comprehensive review of a number of solo tents by the brand names; look under the gear reviews tab, about 3 pages back.

or try this link
http://www.easternslopes.com/2011/05/15/gear-roundup-solo-tents-for-backcountry- backpacking/

I bought the 2012 REI qtr dome which has a new floor plan this year with an assymterical layout.

I am happy with its performance on two trips [5 nights] so far. But not free standing but no water entry issues, a tall sleeping bag might brush up against the foot end.

Tom Murphy
04-05-2012, 13:17
http://www.easternslopes.com/2011/05...r-backcountry- backpacking/

mutski
04-06-2012, 16:27
Ya well, REI has a 20% off sale. I ordered the Copper Spur UL1 for $279. Lightest of the bunch, more room, nice vestibule, ceiling vents. I think I can squeeze in the dog. Thanks for all the replies!