PDA

View Full Version : Best watch for backpacking

jalbright79
04-04-2012, 18:17
I am looking for a good tough waterproof watch for hiking. I am looking for one that has altitude, miles traveled, thermometer, ....gps, compass would be a plus. Where should I look for the best watches? What do you use?......I am looking to speed around $300

Danl
04-04-2012, 20:01
http://www.mioglobal.com/products/quest

I like this except the company does not have a replacement band that would fit my wrist. It will fit a wrist up to about 7 3/4".

Wise Old Owl
04-04-2012, 20:36
Uhh well jailbright - things change over time - almost all of that is unnecessary today. And $300 is too much, All of that can be provided with a smart phone and Backpacker Pro App... 4 oz and second battery No watch is required - most can tell time from sun up to sunset.... Honest...

As for the Thermometer - well doesn't mean much without a humidity level a cheap china window type that's small from walmart if you really need that...should find that in the garden section.

HiKen2011
04-04-2012, 20:37
Get a timex, $25.00

Lone Wolf
04-04-2012, 20:40
this is the watch i have. 3 in 26 years http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___96627

ChinMusic
04-04-2012, 20:42
I am looking for a good tough waterproof watch for hiking. I am looking for one that has altitude, miles traveled, thermometer, ....gps, compass would be a plus. Where should I look for the best watches? What do you use?......I am looking to speed around $300

http://www.rei.com/product/823521/suunto-core-multifunction-watch-glacier-gray

The Suunto Core and you will have a dollar left over. Actually if you take advantage of REI's 20% coupon you will have almost $60.

Wise Old Owl
04-04-2012, 20:45
Get a timex, $25.00

Hey get a timex - not! that's throwing your money away... from experience - these cheap china made Timex are nothing but problems... I had three in one year before giving up. - junk.

15672Here is the $49 dollar offender.....http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___87591

HiKen2011
04-04-2012, 20:49
Hey get a timex - not! that's throwing your money away... from experience - these cheap china made Timex are nothing but problems... I had three in one year before giving up. - junk.

Again, get a timex! For the money you can't beat the watch! LW had 3 in 26 yrs, me.........about the same

hikerboy57
04-04-2012, 20:52
Hey get a timex - not! that's throwing your money away... from experience - these cheap china made Timex are nothing but problems... I had three in one year before giving up. - junk.my $25 timex ironman is still going after 3 years. and really, when it fails, I might invest another $25. i like having a watch because clouds or no clear view of the horizon doesnt really help too much. I also like to know that its 2am or 5am in the morning when I rouse from sleep.As far as altimeters, I climbed garfield at the end of a very long day with a guy that would announce our altitude every 10 minutes, it was maddening.("just another 637 feet to go!")

Wise Old Owl
04-04-2012, 20:55
Yes I exspected so much - guys - you get what you pay for.... You don't need one.

johnnybgood
04-04-2012, 21:04
I don't own a fancy watch but also have no desire to track mileage,elevation gain/loss,etc. Heck, I don't wear a watch unless I'm hiking and I certainly don't need anything expensive.

Lone Wolf
04-04-2012, 21:14

15672Here is the $49 dollar offender.....http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___87591

i got more experience. timex is fine

ChinMusic
04-04-2012, 21:24
I was SOOOooooo expecting "It's just time"

Lone Wolf
04-04-2012, 21:26
I was SOOOooooo expecting "It's just time"

not when you need to get to the beer store and such before closin'

Wise Old Owl
04-04-2012, 22:11
Leash your Timex or Leave it at home!:D

rjhouser
04-04-2012, 22:23
Casio. Those watches are very affordable (I'm talking $12 for minimal models like the one I have - and they're light) and are very reliable. I have yet to see a $100 watch keep time better. Need an alarm? A nightlight? Perfect. Need 50 other nautical gauges and diving timers or what have you on trail? I think not.

ljcsov
04-04-2012, 22:51

I have a really sweet hiking Timex. A while back I bought one of the classic Timex's in the extra large face version. I swapped the stock band out for a self made paracord cobra braid. Pretty sweet.

tuswm
04-04-2012, 23:08
from what I have seen GPS watches are in constant need of being recharged. Am I wrong?

Jersey Tim
04-04-2012, 23:48
Suunto is a good choice of brand if you want all the bells and whistles. If you decide you don't, I've never owned a Timex that hasn't been an absolute trooper.

Rocket Jones
04-05-2012, 06:09
I carry a cheap Casio. It tells time, has an alarm, and the entire face lights up for night time checks. All I need.

fredmugs
04-05-2012, 06:24
I have an Armitron watch that is $15, maybe $20, at Target. Tells time, lights up, has dual time zones, water resistant, and has an alarm. All the other functionality you want I would get from a different device.

daddytwosticks
04-05-2012, 07:07
I use an old Timex Expedition Indiglo watch (sans band) carabineered to my pack chest strap. Always visible and helps greatly with dead reconning. Can't wear a wrist watch while using hiking poles. The straps hang up on the wrist watch. :)

Theosus
04-05-2012, 08:58
I use an old Timex Expedition Indiglo watch (sans band) carabineered to my pack chest strap. Always visible and helps greatly with dead reconning. Can't wear a wrist watch while using hiking poles. The straps hang up on the wrist watch. :)

I like that idea. I hate wearing a watch. I haven't worn one in five years, I use my phone to tell time, but it would be nice to have something easy to get to.

RedBeerd
04-05-2012, 09:56
watches are like sunglasses to me. I think I need em so i buy em. Then I dont use them..cause well, I dont need em. But i do think the casio g-shock is cool :) start at like $50 and the more features you want the steeper the price but it will last forever.

Kerosene
04-05-2012, 10:16
I still use my ancient Timex Indiglo digital watch for backpacking and other outdoor endeavors. I can't even remember when I bought it, but it has to be at least 15 years and still going strong.

Ktaadn
04-05-2012, 11:22

I wear a Casio Pathfinder PAW 1300. It doesn't have GPS, but just about everything else. It is solar powered and receives a signal from an atomic clock. It has taken plenty of abuse over the years too.

ChinMusic
04-05-2012, 11:34
I wear a Casio Pathfinder PAW 1300. It doesn't have GPS, but just about everything else. It is solar powered and receives a signal from an atomic clock. It has taken plenty of abuse over the years too.

For the OP's question, this would be my second choice. It looks excellent and I love the solar part. The atomic clock part I have managed to live without for 50 years but do like cool gizmos. The reason that I have this watch at #2 is my belief that the Suunto has better altitude info. The OP may not know it yet but he does NOT want GPS on his watch. GPS is too taxing on the batteries for backpacking. For dayhiking it's prob OK.

The OP asked for a good watch in the 300-under range. He didn't ask if he needed one. I know that I could function just fine with a simple watch, or with none at all. I just like cool things. They make my experience more enjoyable. YMMV

Alligator
04-05-2012, 12:14
from what I have seen GPS watches are in constant need of being recharged. Am I wrong?I have a Garmin w/GPS that is only good for a day, less than that really. I use it more for trail running and road biking.

I have a Suunto Vector though that has been good for quite a few years now, that has a thermometer, altimeter, barometer. It is a bit of a battery hog, but on a much longer scale, months vs. a day. I generally just open the back and loosen the battery between trips and that saves the battery.

Slo-go'en
04-05-2012, 12:51
from what I have seen GPS watches are in constant need of being recharged. Am I wrong?

I belive you are quite right. I imagine those need to be recharged pretty much daily.

Mever
04-06-2012, 00:29
Get you a Suanto Observer for about $250. The altimeter on mine is always accurate to about 250 ft and makes a good check point for third dimension on a topo. The associated barometer is a better weather predictor than the local news. Compass good back up. Leather band wears out but I forgive it. Ill replace my band with cloth next time (3rd)-. Great hikers watch. I love mine.

Miami Joe
04-06-2012, 01:19
If it doesn't say Bear Grylls on the watchband it's complete crap and you will die a horrible, lonely death.

fins1838
04-06-2012, 07:17
Backpacker Pro; horrible reviews! Was gonna try it but after reading the reviews I said "not".

kayaker4ever
04-06-2012, 13:22
Save weight, leave your watch at home. If you really need to know the time ask someone else.

max patch
04-06-2012, 13:45
Timex Ironman with Indiglo approx $30 at WalMart.

House of Payne
04-06-2012, 18:37
The thru is not a business trip, well not to most folks. The watch's function is simple, time, alarm clock and in some cases for shallow reef diving. The maps and guides will take care of the rest.

Wise Old Owl
04-06-2012, 23:37
Backpacker Pro; horrible reviews! Was gonna try it but after reading the reviews I said "not".

Well its not bad - yea there were a few hickups but I got thru - where were the good reviews and which app?

Sarcasm the elf
04-06-2012, 23:48
Well its not bad - yea there were a few hickups but I got thru - where were the good reviews and which app?

Wise Old Owl, I had assumed you would have recommended this: :D

http://www.amazon.com/Jewelry-Geneva-Platinum-Womens-Leather/dp/B0052TCPIE

Sarcasm the elf
04-06-2012, 23:50
If it doesn't say Bear Grylls on the watchband it's complete crap and you will die a horrible, lonely death.

Sound advice! The same can be said for knives. :banana

Sarcasm the elf
04-06-2012, 23:59

Okay, now that I've read the actual opening post, just wondering, why do you want these features? Not a loaded question, but why are these your preferences? Are these things that you have a strong interest in knowing, or just extra bonuses?

I ask because, as a section hiker I've found that I prefer to use the cheapest waterproof Casio watch I can find along with a good set of maps on my section hikes and find that these are cheap, reliable, and don't need new batteries ever couple of days. My hiking buddy often brings his garmin Colorado with us when we section hike, the extra data is fun to know but I personally don't see the value in spending the extra money or dealing with the need for new batteries ever day or two to have the same ability.

Again, there's no right or wrong, it's just a matter of personal preference and I thought I'd ask you a few more questions.

ChinMusic
04-07-2012, 00:14
My reason for getting the Suunto Core is that I like toys.

benjaninja
04-07-2012, 02:05
casio pathfinder...

rodonne1
04-07-2012, 03:09
I have wanted the Suunto Core Black for a while and it's in your price range at $299. With REI's 20% off sale it can be had $240, might be one to consider.

http://www.suunto.com/us/en/products/Outdoor_Sports_Instruments/suunto-core/Suunto-Core-All-Black#all

http://www.rei.com/product/823522/suunto-core-multifunction-watch-all-black

ChinMusic
04-07-2012, 11:30
The Suunto Core All Black was designed for the military, so it would not give away a soldier's position. Because of that it is much harder to read. The Glacier Gray is easy to read.

BradMT
04-07-2012, 19:31
Reminds me of
the old saying, "big watch, small c**k"... (grin).

ChinMusic
04-07-2012, 19:37
Reminds me of
the old saying, "big watch, small c**k"... (grin).

Nah, that would be "big miles"

Crotalus
04-10-2012, 13:29
I cant remember actually buying my Timex Ironman so I have no idea how old it is, I am guessing 20+ years. I only wear it for outdoor activities - hunting/hiking/fishing. I lose it from time to time, but it always shows up in a drawer somewhere. Last spring when i was getting ready for a fishing trip I thought i would have to finally replace it since I couldn't find it anywhere in the house. In the fall I got my hunting backpack out to pack for archery season, found the watch and a Cliff bar from the previous year. the watch was still working and the cliff bar was still pretty good.