View Full Version : Favortie Places in Southwest VA

stomparound85
04-01-2005, 01:28
What are some of you folks favorite places in Southwest VA

Damascus
MT. Rogers
Bland
Wytheville

If anyones willing or has taken a side trip to Wytheville you need to take a short 1 mile hike up sand mountain to a place called high rocks an awesome view from the top is awaiting you. :welcome

A-Train
04-01-2005, 02:16
Ivanhoe VA is pretty much my favorite little place in that area, though the Walmart in Wytheville gives it a run for its money. And the Grayson Highlands are ok too

BlackCloud
04-01-2005, 11:13
So few mention the old ranger cabin & 360 degree view @ Chesnut Knob....

The Solemates
04-01-2005, 11:34
I love all the farmland in SW VA.

Gods Thumbprint
Catawba Valley
Sinking Creek Valley
..and many other farming valleys.

T Rex
04-01-2005, 17:12
hey, Do you know what the proper etiquette is for tipping shuttle drivers?

smokymtnsteve
04-01-2005, 17:27
can we include DOT's Place onthe poll?

Lone Wolf
04-01-2005, 17:53
I'm about to go there to help pat the mortgage. :D

Jaybird
04-18-2005, 07:03
i voted for DAMASCUS!

my wife & i love this town...& its just a major PLUS that it's also THE major trail-town in VA.

ALSO, i'll be starting the 3rd part of my section-hike (to Pearisburg) there & parking my car ("Silver Bullet") there too.

see ya'll out there: APR 28-May 5 (w/"the Model T crew")HOt SPrings-Erwin
May 6 & 7 Carvers Gap back to Erwin (Sobo)
May 8-20 Damascus to PEarisburg (Nobo)

neo
04-18-2005, 09:29
So few mention the old ranger cabin & 360 degree view @ Chesnut Knob....
the view from chestnut trail shelter,also the view from macafee knob.:cool: neo

Skyline
07-17-2005, 18:53
Wasn't on the list, but I'd like to vote for Konnarock. It's where I am planning to retire when I grow up, and not THAT far from either the Trail or Damascus or Mt. Rogers/Grayson Highlands.

peter_pan
07-17-2005, 20:05
McCafee Knob and Tinker Cliffs.....Awesome views and great trails to and fro.

Pan

Sly
07-17-2005, 20:30
Please tell me I didn't actually read Walmart in Wytheville???? It's a box store FCS, they're all the same!

squirrel bait
07-18-2005, 01:54
Dragons Tooth.

Meadow Creek
07-18-2005, 11:45
I grew up in the Sinking Creek Valley--god's country, as far as I'm concerned. There are plenty of other wildly beautiful places on this earth (and I've been fortunate enough to see quite a few of them!), but that will always be my heart's home.

Red Hat
07-20-2005, 12:28
I love Damascus, and Wytheville, but they are two very different places! My most visited place is actually the Fort Chiswell RV Campground outside Wytheville. We never make a trip up that way that we don't camp here. We parked here when I did my trail magic trip to Bland in May.

Jack Tarlin
07-20-2005, 13:02
My favorite places in SW Virginia aren't in towns. In particular, the stretch of the Trail between Thomas Knob Shelter and Atkins/Marion is the stretch I love the best.....if you've only got a week to do somewhere in the South, you could do a whole lot worse than hiking North out of Damascus.

Yahtzee
07-20-2005, 15:06
Hell, I like all of SW Virginia. Buzzard Rock, Whitetop, the area around the Scales is cool walking, Old Orchard Shelter sits in a beautiful little nook of forest with a meadow in front and soft pine around for nice tenting, oh, and the Highlands of course.

But my favorite spot in all of SW VA is a blue-blaze I found around Iron Mountain. It is a horse trail right down the road from where the trail crosses. Back along the road for a few miles you run into Comers Creek Baptist Church and Cemetery. The most tranquil spot I found on my whole trip. I knew in an instant I wanted some of my remains to be scattered there. It follows a little further and leaves you out just short of the road right before the Trimpi Shelter.
Also, Bland is the home of George "Ziggy" and Murray Ann Ziegenfuss, two beautiful peeps if ever there were. In '99, they drove me from Atkins to Damascus for TD, if I went to a sunset service with them. No prob. It was a feast as well, and Ziggy made sure I was first in line. Also, on Jan 1, 2003, Ziggy was shot while hiking on the trail by a hunter. In one side, clipped his spine, and out the other. He survived. The docs said he only lived cos he was a hiker. He was 69. I visited him on my way up in '03, he was frail, and had just gotten out on his first hike since being shot. An inspiration everyday. Just another reason NE TN/SW VA is my fav section of the southern portion of the AT.

Cookerhiker
07-20-2005, 15:33
In addition to the fine places already mentioned (Damascus, Chestnut Knob, Grayson Highlands, McAfee Knob, etc.) what about Rice Field and environs on Peters Mountain? I was there on a perfect early spring day and reveled in the open field and views. Wished I had planned to camp by the shelter but had to move on to Pearisburg.

wornoutboots
06-22-2009, 14:51
I love the Grayson Highlands as well. heading there soon. l only stopped for lunch at Old Orchard shelter for a break but may stay the night this time, How is the tenting there? are plenty of tenting spots near at that shelter? Thanks

Lone Wolf
06-22-2009, 14:54
I love the Grayson Highlands as well. heading there soon. l only stopped for lunch at Old Orchard shelter for a break but may stay the night this time, How is the tenting there? are plenty of tenting spots near at that shelter? Thanks

lotsa tent spots

wornoutboots
06-22-2009, 15:04
thanks - are you still shuttling?

Kerosene
06-22-2009, 19:12
Beautiful grassy field in front of Old Orchard Shelter that could probably hold 40 tents. You might also consider camping inside the fence at The Scales a few miles to the south and up the hill.

vamelungeon
06-22-2009, 19:40
My favorite part of Southwest Virginia is everything west of Roanoke :)