PDA

View Full Version : What size food bag do I get?

Todd Tarbox
04-05-2012, 10:13
Should it be water proof?

Nick&Bruce
04-05-2012, 11:08
I got the the Roll Top Blast Food Bag from ZPacks. I tired using smaller bags but once I actually got all my food packed up I realized that I'd like more room for it. I'd suggest prepping your food for a 5-7 day stretch (or however long you expect to go plus a little extra) and seeing how much space that takes up.

http://www.zpacks.com/accessories/dry_bags.shtml

If you are hanging your bag I would suggest water proof so you don't need to worry about rain seeping in. Will you be hanging your cook wear and, toothpaste, or anything else that smells like food? Account for that space in the bag too.

ChinMusic
04-05-2012, 11:18
Consider using two smaller bags as opposed to one large bag. I find two bags easier to pack and to find what food I'm looking for.

Ktaadn
04-05-2012, 11:27
I use the Ursack Minor. They say it holds 650 cubic inches. It has been plenty big enough to hold several days worth of food and the material has proved to be waterproof so far.

garlic08
04-05-2012, 11:48
Any old stuff sack big enough for a week's worth of food, or however long you plan on being out between grocery stores, is fine. You can always supplement it temporarily with a plastic grocery sack or another stuff sack. It's easy enough to weather-proof everything in the food bag by repackaging in ziplocks or bread bags, so the food bag can get wet--one less thing to worry about.

WingedMonkey
04-05-2012, 11:48
I'm going to assume you are planning a thru-hike since you were on earlier posts. Agree, lay out a typical supply of food you will be carrying and see what you need to fit it in, keeping in mind it will start shrinking as soon as you leave town.

I prefer two or three bags also, kinda like breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Some hikers have no problem dumping out their entire food supply for every meal. Also it gives you a chance to leave lunch and snacks where you can get to them during the day.

Never made an effort for the food bag to be more than water resistant, but I do pack everything in ziplocks and use them over and over.

Spokes
04-05-2012, 12:41
I like the 20L Sea to Summit Ultra-Sil Dry Sack (http://www.seatosummit.com/products/display/7). The extra room comes in handy for 7 day stretches.

Here's a tip: Carry your backup set of AquaMira water treatment drops in the bottom of your food bag.

Cheers!

Hawkwind61
04-05-2012, 13:18
I use three medium (?) dry sacks. I believe they were from Outdoor Research bought at Wal-Mart if I remember correctly, came in a set of three: large, medium, and small* (*Size relative to the set. I bought three sets as two large carry my bedding and clothes, Small ones are my personal ditty bag, cookset bag, and my 'trash' bag. The other large sack is for storage of backpacking supplies here at home.

Anyhow...Had them for so long that I forget what size (litre)they are. But since all my food is normally powdered, dehydrated or freeze dried and I take everything that manufacturers package out of the bulky package and make my own packets using Quart ziploc freezer bags I can compact things down fairly well. The bags will easily carry 5-7 days worth of my food supplies.

I found I prefer my meal bags separate for ease of finding what I want. So I took a permanent marker and marked: AM, Noon, PM on the sacks as they are also all the same color. Kind of drives me nuts as I'm a 'color-code' kind of gal...but the price was right and these bags have stood the test of time. ;)

QiWiz
04-05-2012, 13:36
I'm a big fan of the Ursack Minor with OP sack liner for the AT. Makes it harder for critters to smell your food, has the waterproof liner, and mouse/varmint proof outer bag. Hang using PCT method or bear cables when in bear country. If bears are a really big problem or it's required by the Park, I'll use a regular Ursack lined or unlined, or even the dreaded heavy bear canister (like in Yosemite).

Creek Dancer
04-05-2012, 13:38
I use the same ones, Hawkwind. I have had these for many years and they have held up well. Not too expensive either. I think I paid maybe $10.00 for a set of three different sizes. I use the small one for sundries, the medium one for food and the large one for clothes. I also like how they make a loop when you close them. Handy for hanging up food bags.

Hawkwind61
04-05-2012, 13:43
I use the same ones, Hawkwind. I have had these for many years and they have held up well. Not too expensive either. I think I paid maybe $10.00 for a set of three different sizes. I use the small one for sundries, the medium one for food and the large one for clothes. I also like how they make a loop when you close them. Handy for hanging up food bags.
Very easy to hang! My middle ones are bright orange...easy to find in the morning when I'm groggy and bleary-eyed and want my coffee! LOL! :sun

Creek Dancer
04-05-2012, 14:01
Ahh...coffee! Wonderful coffee. I am headed out tomorrow for a section hike on the AT and, for the first time, I am going to TRY to do this without a hot cup of coffee in the morning. Instead, I plan to mix some Starbucks iced coffee crystals and instant breakfast with Nido in cold water. That way I can get the caffeine kick I need and some nutrition and hydration to start the day. I am trying to avoid cooking in the morning. We will see how it goes. Yikes!

garlic08
04-05-2012, 15:49
Good luck with that, Creek Dancer, and have a great hike.

Creek Dancer
04-05-2012, 16:02
Thanks, Garlic! The weather is supposed to be amazing. I plan to take some side trips to check out waterfalls.

Apologies to the OP for the thread drift. :)

Hawkwind61
04-05-2012, 16:20
Let us know how that works! Happy hiking! :sun

Wise Old Owl
04-05-2012, 16:45
Hey good information found here...

http://www.ursack.com/ursack-minor.htm

Ewker
04-05-2012, 16:54
I use three medium (?) dry sacks. I believe they were from Outdoor Research bought at Wal-Mart if I remember correctly, came in a set of three: large, medium, and small* (*Size relative to the set. I bought three sets as two large carry my bedding and clothes, Small ones are my personal ditty bag, cookset bag, and my 'trash' bag. The other large sack is for storage of backpacking supplies here at home.

I use the same ones. Can't beat them esp. for the price and they work great

WingedMonkey
04-05-2012, 17:12
Often confusing.

Outdoor Products is the brand often sold at Walmart and other retailers. Stuff sacks, packs, hiking poles. Good stuff for the price.

Outdoor Research brand is a better quality and a bit more costly line of products, usually available at better known outdoor stores.

Hawkwind61
04-06-2012, 08:31
Often confusing.

Outdoor Products is the brand often sold at Walmart and other retailers. Stuff sacks, packs, hiking poles. Good stuff for the price.

Outdoor Research brand is a better quality and a bit more costly line of products, usually available at better known outdoor stores.
Yes, Agreed. Thanks. :sun

Hawkwind61
04-06-2012, 08:34
I use the same ones. Can't beat them esp. for the price and they work great
Yes, I was pleasantly surprised. Didn't have time to get to EMS or order online for a three-day hike...picked up my first set a couple years back and ended up buying two more the next year. I've kept my top and under-quilts (for my hammock) dry in them and have hung the food bags in wet weather and only had to wipe off the droplets next day before repacking in my pack. The oldest set is almost 4 years old now and still going strong. Cannot complain. :sun

MuddyWaters
04-06-2012, 22:37
Size - about 20L for a week works.
Shape - shaped to fit the pack is better than long and skinny any day
Style - drawcord neck is WAY easier than a roll down top. Getting air out of a roll down dry bag sucks, but if you dont it takes up room in the pack.
Opsak - shaped funny and heavy, but seems to work

Use several ziplocks to separate bkfast, lunch , dinner, snacks

If you have a hole in the top where rain can get in, you need a hole in the bottom for it to get out, so forget about waterproof. Use the drawcord neck cuben bag from zpacks or other, and make holes in the bottom. If you sleep with it, use opsaks or such.

All my food is water resistant packaged anyway, (original or ziplock) and then inside another big ziplock, then opsak,. Chance of getting wet is nil, a waterproof roll top foodbag is not needed and a pain in the arse.

RETCW4
04-06-2012, 22:37
This is what I use.
http://www.equinoxltd.com/the-gear/ultralite-gear/ursus_ultralite_bear_bag.cfm

Equinox Ltd. Ursus Ultralite Bear Bag
Keep the critters out of your freeze-dried ice cream and toothpaste with the Ultralite Bear Bag. Simply load your food, cookware, and personal items, attach the 50' paracord, place a rock in the "Rock-It Launcher", and let it rip. Features an outer pouch with a Velcro closure ideal for stowing the paracord and Rock-It Laucher. The entire bag and accessories fold up into itself for compact carrying. (50' hank of cord included in package w/Rock-It Launcher).
Constructed of 1.1oz silicone inpregnated ripstop nylon.
Size: 20"H x 12"Dia.
Cubic Inches: 1300
Weight: 2.2oz w/o cord - 6.7oz w/cord

Tumbleweed

Tramp
04-09-2012, 23:26
No hot coffee????? Are you crazy ???? I would be calling 911 by the second morning. Good luck.

Thenixon
04-10-2012, 15:26
I carried this 15 liter badboy (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002UYBW24/ref=oh_o04_s00_i01_details) all the way from Georgia to Maine. Developed a few small rips and wasn't quite waterproof at the end, but didn't warrant replacement. Volume was adequate until the very end, but I packed it densely. 15+ pounds, no fluffy foods allowed.