PDA

View Full Version : Clothing question

hookshot
04-01-2005, 02:23
I am leaving early May (NOBO) and will be hiking until early September. I currently have a pair of Nylon zip pants, one Duofold long sleeve T, and one short sleeve Duofold. I plan to purchase a Frogg Toggs top and am considering the bottoms. What combination of light fleece, polypro underwear, Frogg Togg bottoms or another pair of nylon pants would you recommend I add to the above items? Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

SGT Rock
04-01-2005, 04:53
Get a pair of the mideweight brown Army issue brown polypro underwear and a pair of lite fleece gloves and you should be fine. It will be tough, light, and cheap. I don't think you would need much more, and you may not even need them for long if you start in May.

Peaks
04-01-2005, 09:14
Well, you are hiking mostly in the summer. However, in mid May there could still be a night with frost.

I'd suggest instead of a long sleeve T-shirt something more substantial, such as the Marmont wind shirt. And I'd bring along a long sleeve poly-pro undershirt. I would also recommend a second T-shirt, if for no other reason then you can change out of it when you stop for the day and it keeps your sleeping bag that much cleaner.

For my legs, the only long pants I now bring along in the summer is Frogg Toggs. They double for cool weather use. I usually hike in shorts with built in liner. No underwear needed.

It can be cool in May (and cool in September in New England). So, for these months I'd suggest adding a fleece top and long johns. Also, knit hat, and possibly lightweight gloves.

chris
04-01-2005, 10:50
A pair of midweight thermal tights along with the zip pants and the Frogg Toggs will be just fine. Depending on how sensitive you are to poison ivy, you might consider bringing shorts rather than the full zip pants.

plodder
04-01-2005, 19:21
Hat. In Maine, even in hot weather.