PDA

View Full Version : Ozark Trail

mjaisit
04-05-2012, 16:51
A few friends and I are planning to take a backpacking trip in the Ozarks soon. We are a pretty experienced group. We have taken a few trips to the Appalachian Trail, but wanted to see what the Ozarks had to offer. I was wondering if someone could recommend a section of the trail around 25 miles. We are looking for either a loop or the possibility of a shuttle to drop us off at one end, some great views, and solitude. Any help would be much appreciated.

Cookerhiker
04-05-2012, 17:49
I hiked 46 miles on the Ozark Highlands Trail about a month ago. I recommend hiking in the western portion and using the services of Turner Bend Store (http://turnerbend.com/) located on Rt. 23 for shuttling. A nice hike would be between Lick Branch and Forest Service Rt. 1520 just east of Fane Creek. On this stretch, you'll ascend the OHT's highest point.

Be advised that there are several creek crossings and no bridges i.e. you ford. I learned this the hard way. In fact, starting our hike the day after heavy all day rains, we had to change our plans to avoid some of them.

For more info, go back to "Other Trails" and use the Search function (right side). Type in "Ozark" and you'll find numerous existing threads.

Cookerhiker
04-05-2012, 17:49
Post duplicated

ChinMusic
04-05-2012, 17:55
Please take care where you camp. Some of those V-shaped valleys can flash flood easily. Know your surroundings and have a plan to get to higher ground quickly should crazy rains hit. Once that water gets to you, you can quickly become trapped. Several campers died in these V-shaped valleys in recent years.