PDA

View Full Version : Snake bite??

ToddW
04-05-2012, 19:12
I just spoke with a customer of mine who returned today from a trip to Suches Georgia. While he was there sometime over the last couple of days he said a friend of his was hiking somewhere near the Ga state line on the AT and encountered a rattler. He and his son were both bit and someone else in their party left and made it to a ranger's station. They came, got them out and to a hospital where they both recovered. He did say that they were somewhere near a ranger's station but I don't know exactly where.Has anyone else heard of this incident? I wanted to make sure he had his story right and didn't have false information. How common is it to see a rattlesnake on the southern end of the trail? Caution is something we try to practice but kinda wears off and becomes secondary to the hike, which shouldn't happen. Makes me think of how I'd react if my wife or kids was bitten while were out.

Pedaling Fool
04-05-2012, 19:18
How did they get bit? Rattlesnakes are part of the ecosystem down there, so they're common, but most don't see them, they simply walk on by.

ToddW
04-05-2012, 19:24
How did they get bit? Rattlesnakes are part of the ecosystem down there, so they're common, but most don't see them, they simply walk on by.
I don't know how they got bit, I'm going by 2nd or 3rd hand info. The young boy could have been harrassing the snake for all I know. I was told that the father got bit first so the son may have gone to help him or get the snake away, I don't really know.

vamelungeon
04-05-2012, 19:35
BOTH got bitten? Hmmm....

HiKen2011
04-05-2012, 19:46
BOTH got bitten? Hmmm....

That's what I was thinking. That would be very unlikely, but not impossible.:)

ToddW
04-05-2012, 21:08
The only thing I can think is that one got bit first and the second tried to help. Like I say, it's hearsay.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

Rain Man
04-05-2012, 21:20
If you sincerely wanted to know the facts, you could have contacted "the ranger station." Till then, this is a big bunch of hogwash wrapped in hearsay surrounded by gossip, with a heapin' helping of snake-phobia and should not have been posted at all.

:(

ToddW
04-05-2012, 21:40
If you sincerely wanted to know the facts, you could have contacted "the ranger station." Till then, this is a big bunch of hogwash wrapped in hearsay surrounded by gossip, with a heapin' helping of snake-phobia and should not have been posted at all.

I'm sorry for the post, I just thought it was an interesting claim. Discussion closed.

vamelungeon
04-06-2012, 09:38

Having a bad day?